Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SVRT for AVCHD
Benny [Avatar]
Newbie Location: New York Joined: May 14, 2008 22:11 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased PowerDirector 7 and after a few days I sent this email to technical support:

I would like to join multiple AVCHD clips captured from my Sony HDR-SR11 HD camcorder in 1920x1080 resolution and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio without re-rendering. When I add a few clips in the timeline and view the SVRT information it informs me that 100% of the audio and video needs rendering because the clips are different from the production format. The TV format is set at NTSC, The production format is MPEG-4 AVC and profile is AVCHD 1920x1080. When I check the dissimilarity dialog box the Coding parameters is checked.

This is the response I received:

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.
We understand your concern related with joining multiple AVCHD clips captured from my Sony HDR-SR11 HD camcorder in 1920x1080 resolution and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio without re-rendering.

We regret to inform you that it is not possible and you have to produce the complete file once again.

We deeply regret for the inconvenience.

My response:

Sorry but that's not an acceptable response. Please explain to me why it can't be done since it's possible to use SVRT for all other formats. That's one of the main reasons why I purchased your software.

Their Response:

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

We understand your concern related with joining multiple AVCHD clips captured from my Sony HDR-SR11 HD camcorder in 1920x1080 resolution and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio without re-rendering.

We wish to inform you that PowerDirector only works with 1024*768 resolution. Please follow the link:

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/require_4_ENU.html

We deeply regret for the inconvenience.

Are you kidding me?

Is this the type of technical support I'm going to receive from this company?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Benny,

I'm looking into the matter. I laughed when I read the second answer you received....

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2008 04:26

Benny [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, a little more info for you.

I just tried with clips from my previous Sony HDR-SR5 camera and I was able to join them without re-rendering.

Here's the main difference between the cameras:

Sony HDR-SR11 - 1920x1080 - 16Mps
Sony HDR-SR5 - 1440x1080 - 15Mps

Thanks for your help.
ddyy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 28, 2006 06:16 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Benny,
I noticed that CyberLink web lists HDR-SR7 which should be "Main Profile". If my information is right, SONY changes its H.264 video spec from "Main Profile" to "High Profile" in models shipped after 2007'Q4.

I have SR12 clip in hand, and PD7 seems need to re-render it. I think PD7 so far only support "Main Profile".

In your case, you put SR5 and SR11 clips on timeline, you should be able to see partial ok but another part need to re-render. Btw, I sometime ignore audio part since their is no control to adjust audio in SVRT info page. I successfully edited my SR1 clips w/o A/V re-rendered, as I ticked "Dolby Digital 5.1" in Produce.

Good luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2008 01:49

Benny [Avatar]
[Post New]
I believe the problem is that the AVCHD average bitrate preset for both the 1440x1080 and 1920x1080 is set at 14800Kbps. That's why it works for the HDR-SR5 clips but it doesen't for the HDR-SR11 clips.

When I try to create a Custom Profile there's a bug that does not allow the average bitrate to be set higher than 12000Kbps and another bug that allows you to set maximum bitrate to 16000Kbps but when you save it, it does not keep the setting.
Benny [Avatar]
[Post New]
I read a post this morning that build 1829 was available.

Dafydd, recommended contacting customer support at:
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/cs/support/new_site/support_index.html
Ask for the latest build and state a reason..........

To my surprise not only did they respond within 15 minutes on Sunday morning but they also send me a link to the latest version.

I'm happy to report that the issue I was having with SVRT for AVCHD was resolved in this latest build.

Now that's EXCELLENT customer support. Keep up the good work.
russell [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2008 17:58 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Benny,

Are you saying that you can now Smart Render your 1920x1080i AVCHD clips? If so, this is fantastic news and I am really surprised that Cyberlink is not making a lot of noise about this. If true, they are the first feature rich Video app to be able to do it. Canon Owners can get smart rendoring with our supplied Pixela SW but that is very basic from a featureset standpoint.

I have been patiently waiting for the patch to get released to fix a few issue I am having with PD7 but the SVRT feature is what I really want.

Russell
Benny [Avatar]
[Post New]
Russell,

I imported five 1920x1080 Dolby Digital 5.1 AVCHD clips totaling almost 9 minutes.

Using SVRT they rendered in 3:11
Not using SVRT rendered in 1:12:15
Angel [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Spain Joined: Jun 19, 2008 14:00 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I read a post this morning that build 1829 was available.

Dafydd, recommended contacting customer support at:
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/cs/support/new_site/support_index.html
Ask for the latest build and state a reason..........

To my surprise not only did they respond within 15 minutes on Sunday morning but they also send me a link to the latest version.

I'm happy to report that the issue I was having with SVRT for AVCHD was resolved in this latest build.

Now that's EXCELLENT customer support. Keep up the good work.

If there is a patch available, why don't CL simply make it available for all users, and not only for those who "e-mail Customer support and state a reason...".
I think that the best reason is that everybody paid for a bug-free software. I understand that softwrae is complex and bugs may appear, but fixes and patches should be available for everybody.....

Hope will happen soon.
Evan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2008 19:04 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
PD7... How do you create a custom profile for SVRT?

For example I see "(HD) MPEG-2, 1080i" but not a 720p version.

Thanks,
Evan
Evan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Maybe I wasn't clear, so I will upload a screen shot.
PD7... How do you create a custom profile for SVRT?

My question is... how can I add "(HD) MPEG-2, 720p" as an SVRT profile?

Screen shot attached.

Thanks!
[Thumb - svrt.png]
 Filename
svrt.png
[Disk]
 Description
SVRT profile choices
 Filesize
19 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
410 time(s)
Evan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just know someone will answer or comment on my question above.

In the mean time my newbie opinion is that SVRT UI is a bit over engineered. If I'm inaccurate below please correct me with regard to PD7 as I'm still learning.

It seems to me other software easily (from an end user perspective) can "smart" render any video. The parameter should be the source material + target material = yes or no to smart render. I really shouldn't have to tell the software up front what I think the smart render profile is as that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I import a 720p MPEG2/AC3 video (from my TiVo HD) which works fine. I trim out commercials but there is not an SVRT profile that matches my source video (sound format matches, though), thus I can't smart render out an edited video file.

On the other hand I can use VideoReDo TVSuite, cut out the commercials, and when I go to save my video there are easy to pick output options for video, sound, aspect, etc described as "No change" -- i.e. no rendering needed. Ultimately my trimmed 3gig HD file is saved by this utility program in literally 5 minutes, and that includes increasing the sound track volume level.

I only point this out to show it is possible to have SVRT work better (in my opinion) and because I really like PD7 so far I hope that SVRT will get a makeover or refined a bit.

My last comment about VideoReDo is that the Video navigation options are easier to use, fast, and all customizable... something CL could consider perhaps.

Per my above post, if it is possible to edit/create a SVRT profile please let me know.
[Thumb - VideoReDo Options.png]
 Filename
VideoReDo Options.png
[Disk]
 Description
VideoReDo save options.
 Filesize
10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
341 time(s)
Marc [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2008 17:58 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: PD7... How do you create a custom profile for SVRT?

I'm a newbie to PD7 also, but came across this so I hope it helps... If anyone knows of a better way to do this, please let us all know.

Start up PD
Drag at least one media file onto the timeline - i.e. the sample aquarium video.
Click on the "Produce" tab and the Production Wizard will start up
With "Create A File" selected, click Next
Choose either .mpeg2 or AVC .mpeg4 via the square boxes
Then, just above the Dolby Digital 5.1 checkbox you'll see an icon that looks like a filmstrip w/ a + in front of it - click that.
That should bring you to the Profile Setup window - where you can create a custom profile. Go to the Video and Audio tabs to make adjustments - give it a name - and save it by clicking OK.

Hope that's what you're looking for.

Also - to your note below this... I'd agree. Why can't the software (any editing software) open up my source file / video - look at the properties - and then tell *ME* what I should output it as if I'd like to "smart render"?? Seems like that'd be the much easier starting point.

From there, if I choose to change anything I'd understand that it has to re-render... but at least *I* wouldn't have to come up with - or figure out - the data on both ends.

FWIW though, I was able to take several clips from my SR1, drop them all on the timeline, go to Produce, choose AVC .mpeg4, choose the AVCHD 1440x1080 profile - AND IT DID SMART RENDER FOR ME!!

The clips added up to about 45 seconds total, and it rendered it all into one file in about 20 seconds (Core2 Duo). So - I'm happy w/ that!
Peter Ozpeter [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 10, 2008 20:51 Messages: 336 Offline
[Post New]
SVRT for AVCHD is the feature I'm basing my buying decision on, but it doesn't seem to work in the trial version. Is that a limitation of the trial? According to the SVRT display, it should work, and I've got "Use SVRT" ticked when using the production wizard. But it's still grinding through at about 8 frames per second. Likewise when burning to AVCHD DVD, clearly it's not smart rendering.

I'm using the AVCHD 1920x1080 profile with Panasonic SD5 footage (that frame size).

I get smart rendering in Nero Vision but it has a rather limited feature sets and some deal-breaker bugs. In Studio 12 I get the feature set but not smart rendering. I was rather hoping PowerDirector would be the holy grail of smart rendering with good features!
Peter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2008 20:57 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hmmm, so nobody can say if it works? That's a pity... my search for the holy grail will have to continue elsewhere!
Peter [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 10, 2008 20:57 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I've just had a response from Cyberlink saying that only Mpeg 1 files use SVRT in the demo, and not AVCHD. But that leaves unanswered whether SVRT works in the full product for AVCHD. Behold, a great mystery.
Maio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 31, 2008 13:02 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I've just had a response from Cyberlink saying that only Mpeg 1 files use SVRT in the demo, and not AVCHD. But that leaves unanswered whether SVRT works in the full product for AVCHD. Behold, a great mystery.

so that was my problem
thanks for sharing
Benny [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unfortunately this issue is still NOT fully resolved with build 2105. Any clip that's above 16Mps will have to be re-rendered.
I've emailed Customer Support but haven't received a reply. Can someone please escalate this issue?
Thanks
Juan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Dec 01, 2008 23:35 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Gentlemen,

What is the current state of SVRT for AVCHD with the last built of PD 7 (2227c)?

Dafydd, Is Cyberlink even working on it?

I read the relevant posts, but there are more questions than answers.

So far my experience has been frustrating.

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2008 10:59

[Post New]
I can confirm SVRT currently works with Canon HF100 until it has to render ie transition. It then renders all footage from then on (this has been brought up before) and effectively makes the SVRT pointless.

SVRT does not work at all with Panasonic SD9 clips.