Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Muting or editing multiple audio clips
philm5d [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2013 17:13 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I do hope I'm wrong but I cannot see a way to either mute or alter the audio level of multiple clips. The only way is to select then adjust each clip individually which is a real nuisance. Do any versions of PD allow this? Any help appreciated!
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I cannot see a way to either mute or alter the audio level of multiple clips. The only way is to select then adjust each clip individually which is a real nuisance.

You can mute an entire track, by UNchecking it.

[Thumb - 2.JPG]
 Filename
2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
9 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2908 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 01. 2013 18:23

philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I cannot see a way to either mute or alter the audio level of multiple clips. The only way is to select then adjust each clip individually which is a real nuisance.

You can mute an entire track, by UNchecking it.

Thanks for your reply however I don't want to mute the whole track, just a few clips. Actually usually I just want to lower the audio levels of several consecutive clips at the same time to the same extent- perhaps to add some background music or commentary. This seems such a basic thing to do I can't believe it cannot be done somehow?
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I don't want to mute the whole track, just a few clips. Actually usually I just want to lower the audio levels of several consecutive clips at the same time to the same extent- perhaps to add some background music or commentary.

Mixing Audio in the Audio Mixing Room

Click to gain access to the audio mixer in the Audio Mixing Room, to set the audio level for each track using the available controls.
(Click the "faders" icon at the left or press F9.)

When you enter the Audio Mixing Room, the audio at the current position of the timeline slider is available for mixing. Use the player controls to locate the position in your video where you want to mix the audio.

To mix the audio in the timeline, do this:

· select a clip in the timeline, and then use the volume control slider to increase or decrease the volume at the current position.

Note: if you would like to set the volume for an entire clip, select it in the timeline and then ensure the timeline slider is at the beginning of the clip.

· if there is more than one audio clip on the voice or music track, or on any of the audio tracks, click the Normalize* button to have CyberLink PowerDirector set the volume for all the clips to the same level.

· use the master gain control sliders to increase or decrease the volume of all the media on a track.

[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3081 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Sep 02. 2013 04:18

philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
I only have one audio track to each video clip so there are no multiple tracks to mix. What I want to do is select several clips and alter the audio track level of all of them at the same time to the same level.
With the mixing room open
If I shift click and select, say four clips, and lower the audio with the mixer controls only the FIRST clip is altered, and, as you say if the play point is at the start of the clip the whole clip level is altered, but only the one clip. I have to repeat the process with every subsequent clip. I was looking at a Magix program yesterday. Merely selecting several clips it was possible to lower the audio by simply dragging down the level which affected ALL the (selected) tracks, which is what I want to do in PD.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Welcome to the forums.

Do you now own Power Director or are you using a trial version?

IF you are adjusting the volume because the volumes are not "equal" you can select to normalize the audio track. This is intended to set the volumes of all clips to the same level.

There may be a way of selecting several clips and adjusting the volume it but I haven't found it. How many clips do you have in the timeline and how many do you want to adjust the volume? I use the very easy way of adjusting the volume on each track individually. I simply select the clip and then click on the audio track volume line. I can then drag it down to lower the volume; I do the same at the end of the clip. This method also allows me to reduce the volume in just one section of the clip so that music or narration can be added.. See the attached image. It is not a sophisticated method but is quick easy and with practice you can get pretty accurate. If you are going to readjust the volume; just make sue you are right on the little indicator or you would add another volume point.

[Thumb - lowervolume.jpg]
 Filename
lowervolume.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Quick Method of lowering volume in selected clip.
 Filesize
26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
261 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2013 07:13

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I do hope I'm wrong but I cannot see a way to either mute or alter the audio level of multiple clips. The only way is to select then adjust each clip individually which is a real nuisance. Do any versions of PD allow this? Any help appreciated!

There is no way that I know of doing this very simple audio level adjusting task. And you are absolutely correct in that it is a "real nuisance"

You would think that if you went to the audio mixing room and then selected multiple clips on the timeline whether they are in a series or not, you would be able to lower the volume of all these clips to the SAME level using the slider control in a single, one step action. It would make editing go smoother and quicker without a doubt.

As you have observed....if you select multiple video clips.....only the "first" selected clip is changed by the slider controls. The rest of the highlighted(selected) clips are left wondering "WHY" the volume isn't changing!

Of course....there are work-a-rounds....but not as elegant as we would like.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2013 07:31

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Kevin and Steve, and thanks for the welcome to the forum. At least I know I am not missing anything. It seems PD (in keeping with other software) can do wonderful things that we'll maybe never need but leaves out something so obvious and fundamental.
meanwhile it's back to doing each clip individually, yawn.....
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Over the years, things that have been suggested here have been implemented. Sometimes with a patch, but most often with the next version. Drop a support ticket on Cyberlink, or, even better for these types of things, go the CL's Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/cyberlink HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Merely selecting several clips it was possible to lower the audio by simply dragging down the level which affected ALL the (selected) tracks, which is what I want to do in PD.

Looks as if you're using the wrong control. It's the horizontal slider that lowers ALL audio on a single track.
No need to select multiple clips.

[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2871 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 02. 2013 11:30

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Merely selecting several clips it was possible to lower the audio by simply dragging down the level which affected ALL the (selected) tracks, which is what I want to do in PD.

Looks as if you're using the wrong control. It's the horizontal slider that lowers ALL audio on a single track.
No need to select multiple clips.

I believe he selected multiple clips and attempted to lower the audio by " dragging down the level" which I think refers to the Vertical control slider. Just my guess as to what he did.

Unfortunately the selected or highlighted clips on the timeline cannot have the volume adjusted simultaneously. Only the first highlighted clip is changed by the slider control, not all as desired.

I think he wants to lower the volume on multiple specific video clips, and not all of them.

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 02. 2013 19:17

borgus1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Unfortunately the selected or highlighted clips on the timeline cannot have the volume adjusted simultaneously. Only the first highlighted clip is changed by the slider control, not all as desired. I think he wants to lower the volume on multiple specific tracks and not all of them.

The horizontal MASTER controls the volume of all clips in a track, irrespective of slider position.

To lower only specific clips, UNlink them from video (if desired) and drag to another audio track.
Then, in the audio mixing room, adjust the master for that track - and all clips will be affected.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 02. 2013 12:25

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Unfortunately the selected or highlighted clips on the timeline cannot have the volume adjusted simultaneously. Only the first highlighted clip is changed by the slider control, not all as desired. I think he wants to lower the volume on multiple specific tracks and not all of them.

The horizontal MASTER controls the volume of all clips in the track, irrespective of slider position.

To lower only specific clips, UNlink them from video and drag to another audio track.
Then, in the audio mixing room, adjust the master for that track - and all clips will be affected.

Yes that method, as a work a round, does work. But if you wanted to adjust the volume on a large number of video clips, is time labor intensive. But as he was pointing out and I agree, is that it is possible to lower the volume simultaneously on multiple selected non adjacent clips on the timeline using other Video editing software. It is not possible using any version Power Director and requires multiple steps to accomplish what is done more elegantly in other software I have used.

Kevin
Shahar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2016 05:52 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, this is one of the biggest drawbacks in PD. You cannot apply most of the actions on multiple clips. You can either apply on a single clip or the entire track. It is right for muting a clip and it is the same for slow/fast motion. If you want to apply slow motion on 20 clips, you have to go clip by clip. I cannot understand it. In most other Video Editing SW it is as simple as two clicks.
MichaelBrandonFalk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 04, 2016 08:14 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thankyou Borgus1 for your answer! saved me a lot of time!