Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New to PowerDVD - Blu Ray problem
rottydog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2013 16:59 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have just purchased PowerDVD (download) and paid.

DVD plays fine, Blu Ray is like a coliderscope of colur, looks like 8 bit colour, but desktop is fine, i.e. still kooks correct.

TMT and WinDVD play blu ray fine.

I have a screen shot (taken by camera LOL) but dont know how to attach here.

Can anybody help.

Tried Cyberlink help, what a complete waste of time, its like talking to a computer.

Very very annoyed and dissapointed with Cyberlink.

Its not exactly cheap. Customer services is disgusting.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
you should go with the support - it may not be possible to assist you in the forum.

first of all, check the must have read thread
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27714.page

to attach photos you need to press "post reply" and not use the quick Reply field

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
jamestroy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 25, 2013 09:30 Messages: 59 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rottydog, I was checking up on this. Were you able to find a work around for this instead? Or how was this resolved?
Rich_On_The_River [Avatar]
Newbie Location: St. Johns River, FL Joined: Jul 05, 2011 19:06 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Hey rottydog,
That's why you should download the trial version first. And try to be a little patient with tech support. They take a while but will respond if you provide them with details of your problem along with your system info.

By the way, what processor are you running? I have the new Haswell and my PDVD won't even recognize there's a Blu ray disk in the drive.
rottydog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi

No not resolved, I Have asked for help from Support, no luck.

I think Ive managed to attach a picture of the problem here.

The image is the Paramaount logo.
[Thumb - PowerDVD Blu Ray example.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDVD Blu Ray example.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
367 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
274 time(s)
rottydog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Below is the help message I sent to Support, dont think they want to know.

My PC is a Sony Vaio and is a Blu Ray player, It has been playing Blu Ray absolutley fine.
TMT5 works great, TMT6 works great and the supplied player with the Vaio (WinDVD) plays blu ray fine.

The ONLY problem I have is with your Player.

I have attached the screen shot, it is an image of the Paramount logo. I think you will see my problem with PowerDVD.

Message to Support ends ****************************

Is there anybody that can help with this.

[Thumb - PowerDVD Blu Ray example.jpg]
 Filename
PowerDVD Blu Ray example.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
367 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
214 time(s)
Newbie Location: St. Johns River, FL Joined: Jul 05, 2011 19:06 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
rottydog,

Support needs a lot more information than a simple description of your computer. It needs system information (processor, memory, operating system, graphics set up,etc.). If you send them a copy of your dxdiag information you'll get a response. After I sent them a detailed description of my problem (your picture should help you there) along with my dxdiag info they determined it was a problem between Cyberlink and the new Haswell processor. They claim to be working on a patch but it won't be available till October. So they do try to help, it just takes a while. In the meantime, I'm just using TMT 6 to watch movies.
rottydog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Right well ive determined what is happening, although that does not help me.

If I open a Blu Ray m2ts file, all is ok. If I open a BD folder, or a BD disk then thats when I get the problem.

The difference is:

with m2ts file, the pkayer does NOT change windows colour settings and so all is ok

Opening a disk or BD folder then the payer puts windows in basic colour mode, that is when I have the problem.

Changing the Areo setting in the player (i.e. Aero disable/enable) make no difference.
Elric667 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2013 08:24 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Why don' you give any Information about your System?
It's like you say: My Ford don't drive but my BMW does ...
That is not enough to help you.

If nobody knows about your Soft- and Hardware nobody can help you.
[Post New]
OK. You win. I give up. Good luck.
rottydog [Avatar]
[Post New]
I dont understand, what do you mean "Igive up"
This isnt some kind of battle.
I have sent the log as requested, it gives the whole system info.I really dont know what else to do.

If you need something from me, i.e. more info then ask specifically, what do you need.

The PC is a Sony Vaio, VGN FW31ZJ
The full info is in the log.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 05. 2013 18:02

[Post New]
When I said I give up I meant I was out of suggestions since it didn't appear you were trying anything we were asking. I looked up your system and it seems fairly old in computer years. What Blu ray software came with the computer? I'm not sure what the minimum requirements are for the PowerDVD version you're running especially the video card.

You may want to try another post on this forum and include the dxdiag log. There are a lot of smart people here (not me) and they may be able to look at it and tell you if there are any shortcomings in your hardware and software which is preventing PowerDVD from running correctly. Hopefully they won't tell you your system is not powerful enough for the software.
rottydog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes it is a few years old now, and although it runs TMT5 and 6 it may not be good enough for PowerDVD.

The s/w that came with the PC for Blu Ray is WinDVD.

The PC is a laptop and 2.66GHz clock

What PC do you use for this player, or should I say recommended.

Thanks for trying to help to all that have replied.
[Post New]
It looks like your CPU is the minimum required for the software. And I'm not sure what graphics card you have but when I checked it out online it looks like it's a Radeon HD 3650. That's a few generations behind the Radeion HD 5000 that PowerDVD requires. In other words I would have to say the graphics card is where you're falling short and the reason for the distorted colors when playing a Blu ray disk. Again, I'm no expert by any means. It just seems like a logical conclusion.

I don't know what all you use the computer for but if you're main deal is to watch Blu ray movies, read emails and surf the net I would say just use the WinDVD program. If you want more, like video editing or processing you're going to need more. And you could buy a new laptop for what it would cost you to upgrade yours, if it even can be upgraded.

Try going to this link:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/spec_en_US.html?&r=1

It gives all the requirements needed to run the software you bought.

Again, try posting your dxdiag information on this thread and someone will probably be able to give you a more educated opinion than mine. They know what to look for in the mass of information the dxdiag file has.

Anyway, since you have the software it's a good excuse to buy a new laptop. Just be careful of the new Haswell processor. Apparently PowerDVD 13 doesn't play well with that processor "in some systems". That's where I'm at right now with my other laptop. Cyberlink is supposedly working on a patch. But there are some great deals out there now for the last generation of Intel processors. I don't know about AMD.

[Post New]
rottydog,

One other thing. Please don't confuse me with the majority of the the other people on this forum who respond with help. They all know what they're talking about and really understand this software. Me? I'm just a complete novice who is still trying to wrap my head around what PowerDVD can do. But I realize how frustrating it can be when you have a problem and the people you go to for help just keep asking you more questions.

These guys/gals can usually figure out what's causing your problem through their experience and knowledge of the software. Me, I'm just guessing.
rottydog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well I think youve probably hit the nail right on the head, it most probably is the Graphics card.

The test program that produces the log says all is ok but sure is not.

The support from Cyberlink is the worst ive come across in a few years. No help at all.

Thanks for everything.
[Post New]
Just out of curiosity. In one of your posts you said "I have sent the log as requested, it gives the whole system info."

Where did you post it? Is it the dxdiag file? I do not see it anywhere on this thread. All I see is the attachment of the photo of your screenshot.
rottydog [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have attached the latest file
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
353 time(s)
[Post New]
Thanks for that. Yeah, it looks like you're overdue for an updated machine. Plus it appears your hard drive is almost full (if I'm reading things right). The one I'm using right now is a little older than yours. My Dad bought it brand new in late 2008 then passed away within six months. I finally broke down and had a custom laptop built last month for games and video processing but I still use this one for emails, web surfing and forum stuff like this. If you decide on a new laptop you can just download the PowerDVD 13 file to a thumb drive and make sure you save the product key somewhere. Then you can transfer the program to a new machine. Hate to see you lose your money. Good luck with whatever you decide.
rottydog [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks ROTR

So glad I dont have these problems with TMT 5/6.

Think you know what I think of Cyberlink.