Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why does the upgrade need the previous version installed?
[Post New]
I'm trying to do a clean installation, and had removed the previous version, and now I have to reinstall it. Which means all the crap and broken links I've just cleaned out of the registry are gong to be put back in.

I hate apps like this contributing to sludge on my system. Why can't I install a clean version?
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
your statement is partly wrong.

if you own previous upgrade or Retail version of PowerDVD (11/12)[not OEM Version] you do not need to pre-install any Version in order to install PowerDVD 13 Upgrade.

You just need to input the key of the previous Version when installer asks you.

You may share the version information you want to upgrade from

greetings
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
your statement is partly wrong.

What, so I just imagined it? really, Michael, what a stupid thing to say.

I tried to install PDVD 13, and it simply came up with an error saying that it required the previous version to be installed on the system, and aborted the installation without giving me a chance to enter a licence number. I have both Version 11 Ultra and version 12 ultra.

Where was I supposed to tell it I had the previous version?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 19. 2013 02:20

Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
you may share the filename of the installation file you received?

thanks
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
It's called CyberLink_PowerDVD_13.0.2902.57_Ultra_Upgrade_DVD130313-10.exe. It was the link i was presented with when I bought the upgrade.
[Post New]
Hi,
sorry but I cannot reproduce your issue.

Please see attached snapshot - the installer asks for previous version's key, after typing it in it can successfully install PowerDVD 13

greetings
Michael
[Thumb - PDVD_Upgrade.PNG]
 Filename
PDVD_Upgrade.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
167 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 19. 2013 08:51

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Well, clearly it doesn't do that in all circumstances. I never got that option — as I said, it just popped up an error message that no previous version was installed, and cancelled the installation with no input from me.

I wonder if it's because I'd already manually cleaned out the redundant keys from the registry left by the previous versions? I'd previously had version 11 on this machine, upgraded to version 12, then gone back to version 11 when version 12 kept misbehaving and the replies I got from tech support were totally useless. So there were keys left in the registry from both versions.

PowerDVD leaves a lot of crap behind when it uninstalls. Who knows what the installer was looking for?

Out of curiosity, Michael, what did you do to test this? Knowing that might answer a few questions.
[Post New]
Hi,
I used a regular test system here - very unclean ( a lot of installations and uninstallations of various SW packages, not only CL.. ) - it behaves as expected on my side.

But even on clean system with no CL software ever seen, it shows the expected behaviour.

Not sure what's going wrong on your system - it's just guessing, but maybe you can try right-click and run as administrator option.

what OS and account scenario are you using?

greetings
Michael

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Thanks Michael.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium x64, fully patched, and with only one user account — the account is created as a full administrator and was the account under which I installed the software. No group profiles are created or enabled, and I'm the only one who uses this machine. There's no wireless access or shared folders or resources.
Sylvie [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 21, 2014 05:38 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
J'ai acheté POWERDVD13 Ultra mais lors de l'installation de ce
programme s'affiche le message d'erreur 1628
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: J'ai acheté POWERDVD13 Ultra mais lors de l'installation de ce
programme s'affiche le message d'erreur 1628

Sylvie's post says :

I bought Ultra POWERDVD13 but when installing this program displays error message 1628

Bienvenue sur le forum. Thre ya plusieurs raisons pourquoi vous obtenez cette erreur qui est une erreur Windows. S'il vous plaît fournir plus d'informations. S'il vous plaît répondre à ces questions et de fournir plus d'informations.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

There are many reasons for that Windows error. Please provide this information.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2014 11:08

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Hi Sylvie,
welcome to our Forum.
Please check our welcome/must read thread:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27714.page
let me Highlight the bottom section with the cleaner Software - if it does not help you Need to contact our Technical Support (also avail, in French)

One suggestion for future postings, instead of "hijacking" old posts, please open a new thread, thanks

greetings
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2014 10:57

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan