Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I correct audio out of sync with video?
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
I'm a new Cyberlink user, having previously used another video editing program for about 10 years. I've been correcting this problem when it occurs in Power Director Ultra with some success, but when I saw this description of Audio Director I decided to purchase it as an add-on:
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/oem/cyberlink/audiodirector/1/launch/enu/index_pdr_ult.jsp?

This is the section of the page that got my attention:
Sync Audio to Video Intuitively & Precisely

Well, I've explored the program, the Help Files and the manual I downloaded and can find no reference at all to synching audio to video. When I do a search for "synch" or "synchronizing" in the Help files I get a "No Topics Found."

I thought that this program would assist me in performing this task, and that was the main reason I purchased it. Any suggestions toward getting me started on this feature of it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) XEON(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @2.80 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
Windows Experience Index 7.5
[Post New]
Hello BillyR,

Welcome to the AudioDirector forum!

To be completely honest with you, I'm a bit perplexed by the statements in the page you linked - "Synch Audio to Video Intuitively and Precisely". You are correct. Neither the Help File not the User Guide mentions synchronizing.

Absolutely, using AudioDirector, audio tracks can be precisely edited (at frame level), but I know of no feature that intuitively synchs audio with video.

Depending on your synch issue, I'm sure that AudioDirector would be a useful tool for precisely editing audio tracks. Possibly no more useful than PowerDirector if you're splitting and nudging sections of the track. PowerDirector also edits at frame level.

I will certainly seek clarification on this and post here.

Billy, I'm sorry I can't be of more immediate help but I'll hunt that up straight away.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
BillyR
Senior Member Location: Southeast US Joined: Jun 19, 2013 14:33 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply, PIX. It's a comfort to me to know that it wasn't right in front of me and I was too dense to see it.

I've been using Wave Editor to edit the audio on my tracks which works fine, but from time to time my volume and fade edits have been causing sync problems when I import them back into PD, and I was hoping that AD would solve that problem. Could be I've blown $69.99, but this is not the first time I've made an unnecessary purchase.

Looking forward to your follow-up.

BR Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
[Post New]
Hello Billy,

Our friends at CyberLink have provided some lightning fast clarification.

It seems we may have been misinterpreting "synchronizing". What you and I were thinking is "correcting out-of-sync video". What was intended by "synchronize" on the page you linked was the ability to synchronize applied audio adjustments and effects with the video - right in the timeline (rather than relying on time code).

If you watch the AudioDirector Intro video http://youtu.be/ssdkXF8idY8?t=45s it says that precisely.

If you've purchased the software within 30 days you can have your payment refunded, assuming you have no other use for it.

PIX

PIX YouTube channel
BillyR
[Post New]
Thanks, PIX. It has only been a couple of days since I purchased the software, so I think I'll keep using it for a couple of weeks to see how it does. Currently I'm using Power Director to edit old TV programs that I've recorded with Windows Media Center and convert them to MP4 format. They are WTV files, which sometimes get out of sync during the editing and rendering process when I'm editing the sound files with Wave Editor. Since I've been using Audio Director for that purpose that hasn't happened yet, so it's possible that files manipulated by AD are less prone to that problem than those by Wave Editor. Still early days, so we shall see. And I'll probably find some uses for the advanced features down the road.

Thanks for your interest and help, and thanks to our friends at Cyberlink.

BR Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
[Post New]
Hello Billy,

If the WTV files are prone to go out of synch during editing, it might be worth considering producing the WTV files before any editing to the desired output format - then editing the produced files.

e.g. 1. Import WTV & insert in timeline
2. Produce to MPEG-4
3. Replace WTV with MPEG-4
4. Edit video & audio
5. Produce to MPEG-4 (same profile as 2.)

That might help avoid the issue.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
BillyR
[Post New]
Thanks for the tip. I used to recode the WTVs to MPG in the other program first because WTVs were so hard to work with, but since Power Director automatically converts the WTVs to M2TS when they're imported I've been skipping that step. Since I've been using AD as my audio editor the two or three files I've done have been in sync (which may be a good reason to keep the program), but if the problem recurs I'll do as you suggest. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop
BillyR
[Post New]
Rejuvenating this old thread to provide the following information which may be helpful to some:

I was following PIX's advice in his message: 17/07/2013 15:36:08, but I noticed that after editing the files a little denoising before sharpening improved their appearance. Unfortunately, applying that correction effectively froze the timeline cursor, or at least it was so "sticky" that it was almost impossible to accurately cut out unwanted parts. I then noticed that there was a noise reduction option available when I produced the files to MPEG-2 first, which is not available when producing to MPEG-4.

So now I'm initially producing them as MPEG-2 (with noise reduction checked) at my desired settings and after editing producing them to MPEG-4 with the same settings, with excellent results. Dell Precision 7510 Laptop