Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Continued PDVD12 problems
[Post New]
Anyone else having this problem?

PDVD 12 Ultra loads a new BD disc, and starts audio playback, but the display remains at the PowerDVD opening screen. My system is Updated to the latest patch, but it still happens.

Anyone else?

I've written to Cyberlink tech support, but they never even bothered answering my first request. I sent them a memory-jogger, and finaoly got a reply to say "no-one else has reported this", which I'm sure is what they say to everybody when they don't have an answer, and is of course as useless as teats on a bull. They made no attempt to resolve it. And yet they keep naggiing me to spend more money on their software by upgrading. :Rolls eyes:

Anyone else seen this, or got useful suggestions please? (Meantime, I've rolled back to version 11, not for the first time.)
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
So PowerDVD 11 works for you with no problems?

I've not seen this but I don't watch a lot of blu ray discs. Does this happen on all blu rays or just a few or just one? Are you using the standard output or the "Cinema Mode".

If you have a disc in your optical drive and close PowerDVD 12, and then use Windows, to right on the blu ray disc, select to open it in PowerDVD 12, does it run OK?

Could you tell us more about your computer via dxdiag. Please run it and attach the text file from it. What antivirus are you running? Is it active when you installed PDVD 12? If you do load PDVD 12, try turning off the antivirus to see if that is interfering.

As you can guess by the above, I don't have any real solutions; just suggestions. As to how useful they are, we won't know until you try them.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 12. 2013 11:50

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Happens with every disc on PDVD 12, but never on PDVD 11. I've tried the same discs in 11, and no dramas.

Just using the standard mode, and it happens whether I run PDVD12 and then load the disc, have PDVD12 closed and let the disc prompt it to open, or open the disc through Windows Explorer. My AV software is Bitdefender Internet Security 2013; I always disable it when installing software, and yes, I've tried disabling it to load a Blu-ray disc, but it doesn't help. I've also tried removing the software completely, running the Clean utility (which was written for PDVD11, but does clean up a few folders and registry entries for PDVD12 as well), and then doing a complete re-install. PDVD11 has no problem with discs, but PDVD12 has issues every time I run it.

Thanks for your suggestions, stevek. But I'm actually interested if anyone else has seen similar behaviour from the software.

I suspect I'm going to ditch PowerDVD completely. I really dislike the way PDVD12 tries to take control off everything multimedia-ish on my system, whether I want it to or not, so I expect version 13 just furthers that "swiss army knife" approach. I just want software that plays what i tell it to play.

Sigh.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
You said: "Thanks for your suggestions, stevek. But I'm actually interested if anyone else has seen similar behaviour from the software. "

You may be waiting a long time but I'm sure someone will give you a generic answer. If it hasn't been reported to Cyberlink, it may be something amiss on your particular set up.

Good luck. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Well of course it could be something on my setup. But it's still worth asking the question first about others experiencing the same problem. You sound annoyed, but I don't really see why.

The fact that Cyberlink says "Oh, no-one's ever asked that" is not something I'm willing to take on face value. They said the same thing to me at first about the bug with PDVD11 where it "couldn't find" the disc drive, until people started talking about it on here and it became obvious that a lot of people had experienced it. So I doubt it means that no-one else has reported it, just that everyone who has logged it has probably received the same brush-off.