Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector 4 Installs, Starts, but doesn't run
Vapian
Newbie Location: Rock Hill, SC Joined: Aug 15, 2011 17:29 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
OK, haven't seen this one in the forum anywhere and CL CS hasn't been able to figure it out either. Hoping the brain trust can help.

I have PhotoDirector 4 Suite w/ColorDirector 1 and the suite installs with no problems on Windows 7 Utlimate 64-bit.

However, when run the program starts, displays the splash screen - and that's it. It just hangs there, even if left sitting for hours. No error message, nothing obvious in Event Viewer, just PhD4 and the splash screen sitting there, mocking me.

I have tried the following, several times:
- Removing, rebooting and re-installing
- Removing with Wise Program Uninstaller, running Wise Registry Cleaner and Disk Cleaner, rebooting and re-installing
- Updating and downgrading to various Nvidia graphics drivers
- Sending CL CS two different dump files and everything else they've asked for
- Installing two different CS-provided install packages for PhD4 (with extensive removal/reboot/install procedures)

... all to no avail. No matter what I try, the splash screen is as far it goes.

I do have PhD3 (free/OEM from CNET) installed, and it works fine. Have even tried removing it completely, as well as all previous PhD project directories several times, in case there was a conflict. No dice.

Attaching the DxDiag report here just in case.

Am I the ONLY person who's been completely unable to get PhD4 up and running at all? Or have I just missed something simple? Hate having purchased and being completely unable to get any benefit from the software.

Thanks for any assistance!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
407 time(s)
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Have you updated your graphic card drivers...and quicktime? Some of Cyberlink programs reuqire them.
JIm
p.s. got card manufacturers site not windows update. Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Vapian
[Post New]
Yes - multiple versions tried for the Nvidia graphics card driver, as mentioned. Quicktime was removed and re-installed early on, before I even got in touch with CL CS.

FWIW, I have PowerDirector 11 and PhotoDirector 3 installed and they open and run just fine.
[Post New]
Hello Vapian,

Welcome to the PhD forum.

It appears you've done everything but re-install the OS!

This is just a stab in the dark, but does this help? http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/26596.page#144871

There is no problem running PhD3 & 4 side by side.

If the fix I linked doesn't have any impact or relevance, I'd try running task manager while attempting to start up PhD - it may give a clue as to what other process may be interfering.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Vapian
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion, PIX. I did look through and search the forum before posting and saw that issue - heck, I've dealt with it before in my work (as a software test QA engineer, ironically enough!). But my system runs with that setting at the default of 100%, and no custom DPI settings, so the two issues don't seem related.

Multiple dump files have been sent to CS, which are obtained via the Task Manager, so I've poked around in there ... have also checked Event Viewer and tried tracking things closely in Process Lasso, with no obvious leads.

One thing I haven't tried is running Debug View to see if that picks up any background information that might be useful. Will have to try that soon.

Unfortunately, though, this doesn't seem to be a simple forehead-slapper like I was hoping.
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
Here's some longshot stuff you may try if you are pretty comfortable with troubleshooting:

Is there a BIOS update for the motherboard from the motherboard manufacturer? Are you running the correct memory speeds in your motherboard and not overclocking anything including the video card?

Have you tried turning off your antivirus software (or using a different one temporarily).

Try Changing your Page file size in your Advanced System Settings... this will force a new page file to be created and remove the possibility of page file corruption.

Run the Windows System File Checker. This is a built in program in windows (SFC.exe). You run this from a command prompt and use something like: SFC /SCANNOW. This will scan all your critical windows system files and make sure they are the correct versions. You will need in the installation CD or access to the original operating system media files if it asks during the process. This could take up to 1/2 hour of so depending on your system speed.

Try installing PD4 into a different folder than the default.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2013 22:04

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
[Post New]
Hello,

I am having the exact same problem. I had PD #3 and no problems at anytime. I have tried the email customer support and have done everything they have asked but no luck, now they are not even replying to my requests for more help. I think I just want my money back and go back to PH #3.

I have not done the phone support because it irks me that I have to pay an additional $30 for a problem with their program.

Please help if you can. They had me download a Team Viewer Remote Program, but have not connected with me yet on trying to fix this problem. I would be willing to give the ID and code to shere if they could help me fix this program since I am not getting any response from Cyberlink now.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Linda
[Post New]
Hello Linda,

Welcome to the PhD forum. Sorry your first message had to begin with a

If you've submitted a support ticket & you've not heard anything for a while, it's possible that the "system" automatically closed the case. I know it's unsolved, but that's what often happens.

If you've downloaded and installed Team Viewer, that's a good start. It will allow Tech Support staff to look into your PC & try to isolate the issue.

My suggestion would be to open a new support ticket, with reference to the previous ID number. That will prompt some action.

If you're able to get it resolved (& I believe you will), could you please post the actions taken? That would assist other members with similar issues.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Thank you for the welcome message and I have already done as you had suggested when I didn't receive any communication back from this last go around.

It has been a two month process since I upgraded to PD 4 from 3 and I now wish I had never done it. I am really at my wits end for now I do not even have PD #3 since they had me delete everything out to try and re-install PD 4 a couple of weeks ago and now I have not heard anything from them in over a week and I have just sent my 3rd email request.

I am very very upset and am just trying to find another solution without having to pay the $30 for phone support.

Like I said I earlier, I am more than willing to give somebody else a shot at the remote help thing if they think they can make a difference.

Thanks,
Linda

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2013 19:38

[Post New]
Well, I wanted to update the progress of my part in this process. I did purchase the voice support today. They sent me a new downloaded link, I installed and the same thing is happening where when you open it up it starts to load up but then all you get is the headers across three blank grey boxes and the lovely graphic that has the name and the three moving colored circles that stay on top of every screen or even your desktop when every thing is minimized!!!

They are re-escalating (again) this problem and I am to wait a week before calling them back. What gets me is this the same problem I have had for the last two months, why isn't it fixed by now with all the info I have sent per their instructions?

I'll update next week on the results, if any.

BTW, did the original creator of this thread ever get his program to work??

Linda

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at May 01. 2013 15:40

[Post New]
Just wanted to update on the final result of my problems with PD4 freezing when opening. Even after purchasing the $30 voice support, no solution was given. They kept saying that the problem has been escalated to the R&D Dept. and that the Remote Team that had me download the Team Viewer program was never available to work the program.

So after another two weeks of no solutions, I had them just re-send the download for PD3 (which worked beautifully all the time) and just refund my money for the upgrade, which I am keeping on top of until I have it back.

I wish there was a better outcome for me in being able to use PD4, but oh well.

Thanks for the welcome and glad that there are some of you that are able to use it. My friend has given me PS CS6 so between the two, I am set.

Linda
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Linda,

can you please try the following:

1. Right Click PhotoDirector -> Properties - > Compatibility

2. Under this tab, there is a check box, Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

Please click that and press yes.

greetings
Michael
Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan