Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Uploading to YouTube in wrong format
tanstaafl49 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England Joined: May 08, 2011 16:42 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. I haven't changed any settings from previous successful uploads, but when I upload a new video to YouTube it comes out seriously flattened - stretched faces etc. Video is from an MP4, and I've tried converting it to AVI with the same result. Doesn;t seem to mae any difference what resolution I use either.m It looks fine on the computer. I'm using PD9version 9.0.9.3305. Any clues? Arthur
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Arthur -

If you've uploaded a WMV file, it's a YouTube issue with WMV files out of PD9 (and othe NLEs apparently)

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27671.page

If you upload in a different format (e.g. MPEG-4) through your channel, you'll find it's OK.

If that's not the issue, you'll need to give more information about the source video & the production selections.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tanstaafl49 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Arthur -

If you've uploaded a WMV file, it's a YouTube issue with WMV files out of PD9 (and othe NLEs apparently)

If you upload in a different format (e.g. MPEG-4) through your channel, you'll find it's OK.

If that's not the issue, you'll need to give more information about the source video & the production selections.

Cheers - Tony

Many thanks - I've just wasted a morning reloading PD then! I'l try it as a Mpeg 4. God to have an explanation. Arthur
Steve6057 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2011 12:16 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Arthur -

Cheers - Tony

I seem to be in almost exactly the same boat as tanstaafl49, except that all my downloads have been in wmv. Previous downloads to youtube all worked fine. Now, all of a sudden, all my downloads are turning out flattened, stretched horizontally. I wonder if any of this is related to my recent Windows7 Internet Explorer update a couple of days ago. Before I got that update, I briefly had trouble getting onto youtube because google was pushing their Chrome browser, and for a day or two, it seemed that the Chrome browser had become a prerequisite for further youtube access. The latest W7 update "fixed" that... but at what price?

Again, it looks fine when I play the wmv file back on my computer.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 01. 2013 02:59

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Steve -

No - I don't think it's anything to do with Win7 updates or IE. From what Kevin posted in the other thread, it appears to be a YouTube problem with "certain" WMV uploads... and not just with PD9! Users of other NLEs are having the same problem.

I just did another quick test to check whether YT may have corrected the issue - but NO... http://youtu.be/RI2AQY2CF4A
Here's the same clip produced in PD11.

I still find it strange that the issue only happens with PD9 - not PD10 or 11. When you look at the MediaInfo reports from both produced files they're identical (except the bitrate which I forgot to change).

I guess - for now - all you can do is upload in a different format.

Cheers - Tony

[Thumb - MediaInfo_WMVs.png]
 Filename
MediaInfo_WMVs.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
105 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
218 time(s)

tanstaafl49 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Upload in MP4 works fine. Is there a way to change the "YouTube upload" format in PD9? Maybe 10 or 11 use a diffrent format. Arthur
tanstaafl49 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Upload in MP4 works fine. Is there a way to change the "YouTube upload" format in PD9? Maybe 10 or 11 use a diffrent format.

There again, if 10 or 11 work OK, maybe PD could issue a fix for 9... Arthur
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Arthur -

No - YouTube direct uploads out of PD are WMV and there's not much we can do about it... though one member is on a mission to fix it http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27697.page

I honestly don't think it's an issue that can be fixed by CL.

Cheers - Tony
Steve6057 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2011 12:16 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: G'day Steve -

No - I don't think it's anything to do with Win7 updates or IE. From what Kevin posted in the other thread, it appears to be a YouTube problem with "certain" WMV uploads... and not just with PD9! Users of other NLEs are having the same problem.

I just did another quick test to check whether YT may have corrected the issue - but NO... http://youtu.be/RI2AQY2CF4A
Here's the same clip produced in PD11.

I still find it strange that the issue only happens with PD9 - not PD10 or 11. When you look at the MediaInfo reports from both produced files they're identical (except the bitrate which I forgot to change).

I guess - for now - all you can do is upload in a different format.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks Tony. I produced in MP4 and uploaded and it worked. Not too sure about the quality though... definitely not the HD that it appears as on my computer.

Cheers,
Steve
Andyburns [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 11, 2013 14:09 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi
I'm having exactly the same problem and it only started about 4-5 days ago. It seems that PD9 has started tochange my uploads to some crazy widescreen format!
I'm sorry to ask, but can I just clarify what you guys are saying:
ie - If I want to continue to edit video's in PD 9 and upload them to Youtube (which I do) there's nothing that can be done about this problem. But if I upgrade to PD11 it should all work OK.

Thanks for your help.
Andy
tanstaafl49 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi
I'm having exactly the same problem and it only started about 4-5 days ago. It seems that PD9 has started tochange my uploads to some crazy widescreen format!
I'm sorry to ask, but can I just clarify what you guys are saying:
ie - If I want to continue to edit video's in PD 9 and upload them to Youtube (which I do) there's nothing that can be done about this problem. But if I upgrade to PD11 it should all work OK.

Thanks for your help.
Andy

You can't do the direct upload until YouTube sorts itself out, and it doesn't look as though it's going to bother. If you just run the project into an MP4 you can use the YT uploader and it all works fine. Irritating, as there should be something PD could do about it if it doesn't affect 10 or 11, but I suppose they don't much care about us bods stuck on 9 any more. Which is not encouraging me to invest in further softare from them, I must admit, as no doubt the same sort of problem will arise again... and again... Arthur
Avraham [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 29, 2013 13:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
We have the same problem with uploads as well, all of a sudden, our videos stretched...
A quick fix which we found is adding this "yt:stretch=16:9" as a tag to the video.

Works for us, but still puzzling as to why this happens.
sludgeguts [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 15, 2011 20:24 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
This has been going on for some time now & I'm annoyed that PD hasn't released a patch - I'm running PD8.

I ran a trial version of PD11, it worked fine - once then it started crashing partway through rendering - so I have to uninstall/reinstall, I get 1 upload & the next file crashes - so I guess my old comp can't run PD11.
Only thing that works for me is having to type "yt:stretch=4:3" AND "yt:stretch=16:9" in the tags on every upload - a real PITA.
If I do one without the other, I always get the black lines so I found I have to type both!