Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Having problems saving (exporting) a photo
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink needs to simplify it's process to save a photo file. Sheesh, what a pain it is to 'export' when all I want to do is quickly save the image I am currently working on.

Well, I am trying to edit an image by removing the foreground. I go to File, then Export, then fill out the dialog box, hit enter, and then try to go back to Global Adjustment and get another dialog box telling me that my work will be lost unless I save the file.

Hello?

I JUST SAVED THE FREAKING FILE!

So I save it, again.

Then I minimize the window and go looking for my edited photo. I see the file, I click on it, and the background is still there. I have done this half a dozen times.

#1, why isn't it working like it is supposed to?

#2, CL needs to give us a simple "File, Save As" option where we can quickly save what we just edited and pick a location to save it to ala PS. ~Tom~
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
You said "#2, CL needs to give us a simple "File, Save As" option where we can quickly save what we just edited and pick a location to save it to ala PS"

I just did a bunch of images that I took of my new granddaughter and I had a File Save as Option in Adjust or Edit part of the program

Perhaps I'm in a different part of the program. I haven't used Export.

Also try CTRL-Shift -S

Version 4. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
I'll go look again. Previously I had clicked on Edit as well as File as well as Export at the bottom of the window.

Thanks for the reply. ~Tom~
[Post New]
Hello Tom,

I do agree with you that the Export facility can be a bit "less-than-straightforward". In PhD "Export" & "Save As/To" are effectively the same, but Export allows you to set parameters.

Once I've exported an image, I (personally) regard the photo in front of me as either a work in progress (if I'm going to do further edits) or a thing of the past (because it's already been exported in its current state).

Using Export allows you to set particular options that are applied to all exported photos (location, quality, naming sequence etc).
Using Save As - Ctrl + Shift + S - does the same thing, but you need to set name & location each time, just as in other software.

In some parts of the Edit module (background removal, body shaper etc), Save As is greyed out (under File), but replaced by Save To. Both do the same thing.

Tom, those annoying alerts that remind you you're about to lose previous edits when you already know that (!) - I just check "Don't remind me again".

PIX

For most editing, I tend to use Ctrl + Shift + S where it's available. When I'm doing a large batch of photos, I'm more likely to use Export (either singly or as a group). PIX YouTube channel
Kmot
[Post New]
I do not have a "Save As" button in my PD4. Here is a screen capture. I edited a photo to remove the foreground. Then I clicked on Edit and looked for a Save As button. There is none. I then clicked on File and looked for one there. None. Just like I explained in my original post.

Attached is the screenie showing the Edit window open.
[Thumb - no save as function.jpg]
 Filename
no save as function.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
169 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
142 time(s)
~Tom~
[Post New]
That's correct, Tom.

I understood what you were saying.

In the Edit module (where you were doing some background removal), there are no "Save" or "Save As" options available in the File menu. In the section, if you Export, your transparency will be ignored.

The Save To button is the only choice in that case.

PIX
[Thumb - Save To.jpg]
 Filename
Save To.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
225 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
295 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 11. 2013 21:10

PIX YouTube channel
Kmot
[Post New]
Ah, okay. Now that you pointed it out with an arrow I see it. Thank you PIX.

Funny, that one has to look all over the place for SAVE buttons instead of having them in the same location all of the time. ~Tom~