Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
EXIF date&time on photo slideshow doesn't always appear
Lilly007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2013 03:21 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I downloaded the testversion of PD11 yesterday (first time using PD but not first time using NLE software in general) and I tried something easy for the start... a photo slideshow.

I figured out that PD allows me to display EXIF date and time in the pictures, I used that - applied it on all images and exported the video but the video misses so many dates and times... like only 30% of the pictures have the d&t displayed.

All pictures were taken with the same camera, all have those EXIF data (I checked within PD). Funny thing is, one pic has the d&t displayed and the next, which was taken like 10 mins later, has not.

Disturbing.

I exported the entire project (hope I actually saved that changes xD), if someone wants to test things out - remember all photos are mine and may only be used for testing. http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/95026347/file.html (92,1 MB)

edit and p.s.: Forgot to post the password for the ZIP file: pd11exif

Regards,
Lilly

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2013 04:21

Lilly007 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Apparently it works when I enable the EXIF timestamp option for every picture manually. Very, very tedious - but then it shows date and time for all images.

Seems the automatic thing (to apply the settings for all pictures in the same timeline) is not working properly.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lily -

It seems to be working correctly here. I just put 80+ photos in the timeline (straight off the camera) & applied the Time Info. After formatting etc, the date, time & comment was displayed correctly on every photo.

If the photos have been edited at all, or even opened & saved in other software, it's possible that the EXIF data was stripped from some images (depending on what software was used & what options were selected).

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Lilly007 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

thanks for the reply. Then it seems not to be a general problem of the software. What version do you have exactly?
Mine's: PowerDirector Trial 11.0.0.2110

My pictures are unedited - straight from my archive. I did the touch-ups in PD. BTW I posted my project here incl. all pics - so you are free to check yourself.

If there was something wrong with my pictures, then adding the EXIF for each photo wouldn't work either. But it does. It's just the button that is supposed to add the settings to all clips on the timeline that does not do its job here. The first pics it works, then it stops and works here and then later on. It was always the same pics it skipped.

Lilly
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lily -

I'm using the full version (not a trial) - PD Ultimate 11.0.0.2516

To be honest, I'd never bothered to use that feature before I tested it for you, so I don't have any experience of its possible foibles.

Do you have Photo workflow software, such as PhotoDirector, which displays the EXIF data? Is the information displayed correctly there?

If not, there are free ones that will - http://picasa.google.com.au/ - it would help to know whether the EXIF data is still present.

Cheers - Tony
Lilly007 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm so good, I figured out what it causes ^^ Not my pictures.

I did step by step troubleshooting and it's the automatic touch-up. Whenever I used that instead of doing the color correction/tone value correction manually those pics got ignored from the automatic time stamp button.

I'm not sure whether it's intended, since that feature doesn't say so when enabling I guess not, then it's a bug!?

Could you try out on your version if you can replicate my discovery?

Just add 3 pics to your timeline and click on the second and go to 'Correction/Improvements' and tick 'lighting improvement' (the option that's not for red eyes reduction and not for sharpen the image). Since my version is in German I don't know its exact term, I'll add a screenshot: http://s1.directupload.net/images/130309/j5mitp22.jpg

Then click on the first pic and do the timestamp thing applied to all and export and play and my version shows never the timestamp on any pic that got automatically enhanced by this lightning option.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 09. 2013 06:27

ynotfish
[Post New]
Lily -

When I read you post I thought "Ah - PD is losing the EXIF data after making adjustments". I thought you'd found the cause.

BUT

When I repeated your steps - inserting photos straight off the camera - applying lighting adjustment - applying time/date stamp & remark to all - I could NOT get PD to fail to display the information.

To push it, I tried:
(a) doing the steps in a different order - time info then adjustment (and vice versa)
(b) also importing photos that had previously been edited in PhotoDirector
(c) using Fix/Enhance to apply various & multiple adjustments, including sending photos to PhD

Nothing I could do would make it fail. I'm fairly sure it's not to do with the fact that you're using the trial version... but I can't see what the cause of the issue is.

Cheers - Tony
Lilly007 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can reproduce it 100% that way. It's not my images. Any image that I didn't automatically touch-up shows the timestamp and any image that I used the automatic touch-up does not show it.

I'll try now whether I can actually update a trial to build 2516 and test again.

edit: nope, testversions can't be updated

So then this remains a mystery

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 09. 2013 16:15

ynotfish
[Post New]
Lily -

It is a bit of a mystery, but there's a reason for it - after all, you're seeing a pattern in what you're doing & you're able to replicate it 100% of the time. I just haven't been able to replicate it here, but I may be doing something slightly different.

Could you post a screen shot of the exact settings you make in Fix/Enhance... maybe that will give us a clue.

Cheers - Tony
Lilly007 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok I just recorded a screencast about my work-flow and now I want to export it but I don't seem to be able to set the export to the resolution of my desktop (which is 4:3 1280x960) -.- What the...
Great.
Have to f**** upscale it to 1080p (sorry but crippling my freedom in export pisses me off). How disappointing.

Bear with the blurriness from upscaling. --> http://youtu.be/wa2H8Vs2oqY

I assume it got fixed in any update after build 2110 - even if the update-notes don't specifically mention it (I checked them).
Whatever, now that I know that my possibilities for exporting are crippled to mere (and few) hardware standards - I've no interest in this software anymore.

Have a nice day and thanks for the help in the troubleshooting ^^

cu
Lilly
ynotfish
[Post New]
Lily (if you're still there) -

Thank you for posting the screen capture. It confirms what you'd said previously - that you could produce the same glitch with 100% confidence. Unfortunately, following your exact steps, I was able to replicate the same issue.

Your frustration may not be helped by this screen capture (or its meditative audio bed), but it may shed some light on selecting format & profiles for production.

http://youtu.be/st3kc-9Yq88

Have to f**** upscale it to 1080p (sorry but crippling my freedom in export pisses me off). How disappointing.

No - that's not correct. There's enormous choice about profiles for production. I wouldn't describe it as "freedom crippling"!

Cheers - Tony

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Thought I would see what would happen on my system.

I could reproduce Lillys observation on my system by following her video example. If I used the Fix/Enhance and corrected an image on the timeline, then added the "Time Info" and applied to all....the time info was not displayed on the picture I made the enhancement to. It also was not on the produced video(just checking to make sure). This seems like a bug to me too.....but I am not the judge of that!

BUT....

If I added the "Time Info" as the "first step" on the timeline and "applied to All" then I was able to make any enhancements using the Fix/Enhance button to select images without an issue. The "Time Info" appeared on all the pictures as expected on all of the images.

Work Around Maybe?

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I see the difference Tony between your example video and hers. It explains why your video didn't show the problem I think.

In Lilly's example she selected Image #2 on the timeline, then selected Fix/Enhance, then closed it.....

then she selected image #1 on the timeline and then "Time Info" and applied to all...the Time Info was missing on Image #2.

In your example Tony you selected the SAME image each time you enhanced it and applied the Time Info to it. To duplicate the problem you need to select a "different" image on the timeline than the one you apply a Fix/Enhance to see the problem.

I am going cross-eyed trying to look for differences in the two examples!

But that is the only thing I spotted.

KEvin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
ynotfish
[Post New]
G'day Cap'n -

You're not the only one who's cross eyed! I tried to replicate Lily's problem every which way but loose! Nothing I did caused the issue.

I will (for the 37th time) go back & try it upside down, inside out & back to front.

Cheers - Tony
Eneay [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2013 03:43 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, Lily. I think if you use Kvisoft Flash Slide Show Maker to create your photo slideshow, you could set the duration time with ease. Last week, I make my baby slideshow with it for sharing online. You can learn how to use from here: http://www.kvisoft.com/tutorials/make-baby-slideshow-with-music.html