Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems playing the Star Wars Blu-Ray discs (again!) with 2118a [Catalyst 13.9 seems to fix it]
[Post New]
It's been a while since last time I watched my Star Wars discs, but yesterday I decided I wanted to get some lightsaber action.

Well, I have a problem that I didn't have before... during playback, weird artifacts appear all over the screen, a bit like what the decompression of a crappy MPEG file does. It looks like horizontal bands all across the screen with some small squares at top and bottom borders. I'm 100% sure that wasn't happening the last time I watched those movies.

I tried without and then with AnyDVD HD, to see if it wasn't some nasty protection problem again, same thing.

It's the only disc of my collection that does that to my knowledge, as soon as it happened I of course tried a bunch of other discs and they play back perfectly. Among those I tried are Prometheus, Avatar, Kingdom of Heaven, Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, Star Trek and also the Indiana Jones discs since they are also from Lucasfilm, and they all work just fine.

I did then downloaded the trial of TMT, and I also tried with DVDFab Media Player... and both play the discs just fine without those artifacts.

I attached a photo of my screen when the artifacts happen, the photo isn't very good (taken with my mobile phone) but you can clearly see the horizontal clearer band and it's square patterned borders. As I said, it looks quite similar to MPEG decompression artifacts when the file is of poor quality.

Any idea of what it could be?

My system:
PowerDVD 12 Ultra patched to 2118a
SR Number: DVD120702-07 (DVD120801-09)
TR Number: TR120924-073
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits
Account is not restricted (has administrator rights)
PowerDVD 12 is retail (upgraded from PDVD10 Ultra)
VGA: Sapphire AMD HD6870
VGA Driver: Catalyst 13.1 WHQL and 13.2 beta 8 (I tried both, installed the 13.2 beta to try to fix that problem to no avail).
Audio: Soundblaster X-FI Surround 5.1 (analog output)
Audio version: the latest from the Creative site (1.1.100.0)
Audio setting: Current system settings (6 speakers) in PDVD, 5.1 in Windows.
ODD: LG Blu-Ray player and DVD recorder: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH10LS28 SATA CdRom Device Firmware 1.00
Display: Toshiba 32RL938 television and Hannspree HF237 23" monitor (extended desktop, 2x1920x1080) (I also tried with the second monitor disconnected)
Display connection: HDMI 1.4 for the Toshiba TV and DVI to HDMI dongle + HDMI cable for the monitor.
Refresh rate for playback: 24hz (I also tried 60hz, it didn't fix the problem)
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials
Browser: Firefox.
Virtual ODD: Clonedrive (but not used).
Also tried with Aero off, same problem.

The BD Advisor says my system fully supports Blu-Ray playback, no HDCP problems or anything similar, everything is on green.

DXDiag is attached, and also the BD Advisor log.
[Thumb - IMG_20130221_125614.jpg]
 Filename
IMG_20130221_125614.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Revenge of the Sith artifacts
 Filesize
981 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
707 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
45 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
496 time(s)
 Filename
DEBUG_CLDetect_KORRIGAN-SEVEN_2013_02_21_13_27_52.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
521 time(s)

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at Sep 30. 2013 10:46

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
It seems like you have more issues than anyone else. What have you done to your computer since it last ran correctly? Perhaps an update to another program? Installation of another program. etc. How long was it since you played that DVD?

If the others work correctly, why do you think it is a Power DVD 12 problem? Is the disc a commercial disc that you got from a commercial vendor.

My suggestion, since you seem to have a lot of DVDs is to buy a disc cleaner. I use an automatic, battery powered cleaner from Memorex. It has two cleaning solutions and a couple of discs. Are yiu storing your discs properly? Are you lending them out?

Edit: What is TMT? Is it one of these? http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TMT

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 11:30

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
PS:
It would also be nice if other people can report if they have that problem or now. I'd like to know if something is foul somewhere on my PC or if it's a damned protection problem again.

Thanks!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 11:35

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: PS:
It would also be nice if other people can report if they have that problem or now. I'd like to know if something is foul somewhere on my PC or if it's a damned protection problem again.

Thanks!

Did you read my reply? Comments? Ignore me? .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
[Post New]
Quote: It seems like you have more issues than anyone else.
Really? I made two posts lately with problems, generally I'm quite happy with the software. I don't do those for my pleasure either. And the 24hz problem wasn't really a problem, just a "hidden setting" I wasn't remembering.
I won't judge your posting habits, so please don't judge mine. Let Michael do his job, ok?

Quote: Is the disc a commercial disc that you got from a commercial vendor.
Of course, original Star Wars box set, bought from Amazon. I don't use illegal Blu-Ray discs.

Quote: My suggestion, since you seem to have a lot of DVDs is to buy a disc cleaner. I use an automatic, battery powered cleaner from Memorex. It has two cleaning solutions and a couple of discs. Are yiu storing your discs properly? Are you lending them out?
Thanks for the... advice, but it's not a dirt problem. All the Star Wars discs have the same problem. Yes, my discs are stored in their original packaging, they are only manipulated by me and no one else. It's not a dirt problem.

By the way, I said in my thread title post that the discs worked just fine with demo versions of other playback software. So you could have guessed that's it's not a dirty disc problem. A dirty disc would not work no matter the player software.

Seriously... I have 105 different movies on Blu-Ray: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=Korrigan
All original copies bought from a shop. No illegal stuff. All of them work perfectly, except those of a very specific boxed set which is known to have had problems in the past. My guess is that it's another problem with the damned copy protection of that set.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 11:55

stevek
[Post New]
Sorry, I must have been thinking about someone else.

I was going to try to play my Start Wars collection but then realized that I have the originals on DVD ! .
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Korrigan wrote:
PS:

EDIT: Totally my error! I missed your Any DVD HD reference in your first post! My apologies for missing that! So.....Now I don't know what to offer. Sorry about missing that. It does pay to read closely what the original poster writes!! I'll leave what I wrote to teach myself a lesson and remind me to read more closely next time!!

If you want to see if it is the copyright protection causing the problem you might try using Slysofts Any DVD HD. I have used this program for many years and it works very well. They routinely release updates as new copyright methods are released to keep the software current. The trial is free and is fully functional. It is a very small download size and once installed it will scan your disc and remove any copyright protection. If this is your problem you will know in an instant.

If this solves your problem you can purchase the software with a lifetime license that includes any future updates, that is what I chose to do. Its a bit pricey, but there are other things this software does....such as rips all your movies to your hard drive easily.

Cyberlink does release patches to correct movies that have playback problems because of the copyright. But this takes time and can cause frustration waiting for the patch to be released. Any DVD HD is much quicker and painless.

Worth a try! It's free to try and you will know if its the copyright causing your issue. If it doesn't then it is something else. I would try a test of this movie myself but I don't have it to test.

And Michael might be able to shed some light on this subject....it does pop up from time to time depending on the movie production company. FOX titles have a history as well as others.

Good Luck my friend!

Kevin

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 14:00

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
By the way, I said in my thread title post that the discs worked just fine with demo versions of other playback software.

This happens. It is all in the timing from what I can see in other software player user forums. Power DVD will play movies that others can't and vice versa. Its a game of catch up and timing for the software players that are available.

When the movie, Avatar, was released it created problems for both software players AND stand-a-lone DVD/Blu-Ray players. Firmware had to be updated on some stand-a-lone models. Some Disc players had no way to update their firmware and they were stuck! You might investigate that you have the latest firmware version for your specific player in your PC.

But again...

Slysoft's software eliminates the need to do this. It just works.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 13:53

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
I notice your video card drivers are dated 2/16/2013, which of course is current.

When I download video card drivers I usually save the last 5 or 6 versions so that I can roll back to a previous version when a strange problem occurs.

Maybe......try uninstalling your video card driver via control panel and then installing an earlier driver to see if that corrects the problem. Just guessing here.

I shall go and buy the Star Wars boxed set and see how it plays on my system!! It is a GREAT series....I should have it!

Kevin
[Post New]
I tried several older video drivers ranging up to 2011 before I actually bought Star Wars - no change.
And I have a lifetime of AnyDVD HD.

But thanks for trying to help

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 21. 2013 15:15

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
I'll contact Cyberlink product management directly and let you know what they say.

Kevin
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
This Star Wars pixelation topic is 8 pages long in the Power DVD 11 forum. It might make interesting reading. It points at the copyright protection and one core o the CPU being maxed during playback.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18933.page

Maybe it could be of help.

I did email the Product Manager of PowerDVD and await his reply.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2013 06:13

[Post New]
I've even applied the "old" PowerDVD 11 fix by removing the Windows Update which was faulty back then - to no avail.

Thanks for all your efforts, Cap'n My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
[Post New]
I just installed the latest patch ( 2428 ) and...

Drumroll...

... the artifacts are sadly still there

Michael, if you have a clue... I'd be eternally in your debt.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2013 11:10

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Korrigan,
I don't have a clue - and sorry but from the picture I even cannot see the issue you describe...

can you provide a better (not shaky) photo?

I read in some other forums that there might be some issues on some systems with h.264 decoding using catalyst 13.1 - 13.2 beta 5 seems to be OK from some user comments.

Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2013 12:33

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
I also tried 13.2 beta 6 (that's what you mean I guess), to no avail. I will try again, and to get a better photo too My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, totally messed it up..

13.2 beta 5

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
The beta 6 breaks the playback again? It's the latest.
If you say so I'll try to find the beta 5.

And it also doesn't explain why it works with other players...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2013 12:41

[Post New]
I got a better picture of the problem, attached here.
[Thumb - swtifacts.jpg]
 Filename
swtifacts.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
SW Artifacts
 Filesize
3473 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
582 time(s)
[Post New]
The artifacts come back regularly, like a cycle. The movie can be free of them for like a couple of seconds, and then they come back, intensify, and go away for the same amount of time, etc, etc, etc... My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7