Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
[Solved] PowerDirector 9 doesn't open
[Post New]
I am putting this here to help anyone else who has had this problem:

PROBLEM:
Whenever PowerDirector 9 was opened it would start to load, the title and opening screen would come up for a few seconds, then a message box would come up saying: "PowerDirector has quit working......" It never would load, but would crash every time. After extensive searching on the Internet I finally traced the problem being Quicktime.

THE STORY:
Late last year I had purchased PowerDirector 9 and used it on my Windows XP computer. When I got a new Windows 7 computer around the first of the year I uninstalled it from the old computer and installed it on the new computer. It was working fine for the first few months of this year. Then, for some reason it quit working. After that every time I tried to start it the program started loading and I could see the small opening screen start for a few seconds then it stopped. A message box came up and said something like "PowerDirector has quit working. After doing a lot of searching I found some places that said that Quicktime might be the problem and that it should be uninstalled and updated. Even thought I repeatedly tried a number of times, but I couldn't get Quicktime to uninstall. PowerDirector 9 has not been working for at least several months because I didn't know what to do to fix it.

Each time I tried to uninstall Quicktime I got this error message: "A newer version of Quicktime is already installed. This installation cannot proceed while the newer version of Quicktime is installed."
This was strange because I had an older Quicktime version 7.72.80.56 installed, and the version that I was trying to install was a newer Quicktime version 7.73.80.64.

I finally understood that part of my problem was that I couldn't get Quicktime to uninstall. I had to figure out how to get it to uninstall.

THE SOLUTION:
After doing a lot more research I learned how to uninstall Quicktime by following the instructions on this Microsoft Support webpage: How to troubleshoot problems when you install or uninstall programs on a Windows-based computer

This page has two options for uninstalling a program, both an automatic method using a downloaded program, and a manual method. I chose to use the Automatic method, which was labeled, "Fix the problem Automatically" which was right above a box that said "Microsoft FixIt" "The Diagnose and fix program for installing and uninstalling problems automatically troubleshooter may automatically fix the problem described in this article." Click on the Green button labeled "Run Now"

After downloading this software I ran it. It has an option for fixing installation and uninstalling problems. I wasn't sure which to chose, so I chose to fix installation problems. Just follow the instructions. I forget what all I did, but after running this I was then able to successfully uninstall Quicktime and then to install the new version of Quicktime.

Then, when I tried to open PowerDirector 9 it opened flawlessly.

Best Wishes,
Stephen

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 14. 2012 03:14