Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows WP SP3 is probably a bit old fashioned for PowerDirector 11
Gil75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2011 12:14 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi to everyone!
Sorry to input a matter that is maybe obvious to solve, but I'm a noob...

The software is rather user friendly (good point).

I edit mpeg files, create chapters. No problem.

The snag: When I choose create a file (not burn a disk) Windows crashes...

I guess my old system does not get along with this brand new software...

Joined is my system ( a short description ) for those who could be interested.

Best regards to all !

G75

Filename
system_info.txt
[Disk]
 Description
everest system info
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
366 time(s)
Poetry first, what else?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
What type of movie files are you working with on the time line? My first guess would be that you need more system memory. What size is your hard drive and how much available space is on it? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Gil75 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi jaime_esque,

It is a 225 Mb vob file.
The capacity of the hard disk is 200 Go and it has 70 Go free space.
I checked I had enough free space before inserting the file. (I tried with two other files avi/wmv around the same volume )with the same conclusion).

[to say the truth, the first time I downloaded and installed PDR11 four days ago, it squeezed the free space to nought and added some PDR10(???) files to the PDR11. Bizarre.
I deinstalled the software, reinstalled it. No detected problem at the installation.
With the edition work, I could see in the task manager three files (motion manager, pdr11.exe and generat? grabbing the lion's share in memory (around 900 Mb!).]

I deinstalled again, checked msconfig and taskmanager to reduce the access of most files that are not necessary (PDR11 has the biggest access) opened the soft, created very quickly a few chapters and tried to save the result on my hard disk. No result this time but the famous blue screen...
Probably the memory?.

Well, there is nothing to write home about, it is a trial version and I'm not pretty sure latest softwares (from anyone) could smoothly work with XP nowadays.
I will simply wait a few months to move to W7 with a brand new computer and test again.
I will keep on working with something else until the move.

Thanks a lot for your support,

Gil75

Poetry first, what else?
Gil75 [Avatar]
[Post New]
------

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 05. 2012 13:34

Poetry first, what else?
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Gil75:

Welcome to the PD11 forum.

I think that memory is probably your main issue. PD11 likes to have 3 GB DDR2 or better of system RAM. The link to PD11 requirements is below:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-deluxe/specs_en_CA.html

I think you are wise to consider upgrading your computer if you want to get into serious video editing.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor