Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
One effect keeps crashing program
Chris40 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Gillette WY Joined: Dec 15, 2011 00:30 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I have found that if I apply the effect, "Continious Shooting" to any picture it crashes the program. So far none of the other effects do that but I tried several pictures in different formats, and I rebooted. I tried it with nothing but a singel picture and the same thing every time. The program closes and I get a dialogue box asking to send the info to Cyberlink which I allow and fill in my e-mail address.

Anyone else see this with Cyberlink 11?
Chris Intel 2600K
NVIDA 560Ti in SLI
16 Gig DDR 1066
3, 1TB SATA III HDs
Windows 7 64 bit
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have found that if I apply the effect, "Continious Shooting" to any picture it crashes the program. So far none of the other effects do that but I tried several pictures in different formats, and I rebooted. I tried it with nothing but a singel picture and the same thing every time. The program closes and I get a dialogue box asking to send the info to Cyberlink which I allow and fill in my e-mail address.

Anyone else see this with Cyberlink 11?
Chris

Good Catch Chris!!

I can confirm what you experienced on my system. I also was able to crash the program by simply dragging the "Continuous Shooting" effect to the "Empty"timeline and play it causing the crash. This doesn't happen when using Power Director 10.

[Thumb - Continuous Shooting.PNG]
 Filename
Continuous Shooting.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
209 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
834 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 05. 2012 08:36

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I did go into preferences and turned off the "Enable Hardware Decoding" I was then able to use the "Continuous Shooting" effect without it crashing. Then I turned "Enable Hardware Decoding" back on and now I can't get it to crash, with or without placing an image on the timeline. Just thought I would pass it on.

[Thumb - Continuous Shooting 3.PNG]
 Filename
Continuous Shooting 3.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Now it doesn
 Filesize
229 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
804 time(s)
[Thumb - Continuous Shooting 2.PNG]
 Filename
Continuous Shooting 2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Turn off Hardware Decoding
 Filesize
212 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
806 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 05. 2012 08:55

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I never tried that effect before.

I could not get it to crash. I'm glad Captain was able to get it to crash or we could still be shaking our heads! .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Chris40 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'll have to give that a try when get home. Sort of odd but if it fixes the problem, so be it!

Thanks guys,
Chris Intel 2600K
NVIDA 560Ti in SLI
16 Gig DDR 1066
3, 1TB SATA III HDs
Windows 7 64 bit
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote: I'll have to give that a try when get home. Sort of odd but if it fixes the problem, so be it!

Thanks guys,
Chris

I am definately not proclaiming a fix Chris, just posting observations on my system. I rebooted my PC and then tried it again with the "Enable Hardware Decoding " set to OFF and then dragged the "Continuous Shooting" to the effects timeline and clicked play.

It Crashed again.

So it is a bit intermittent on my system. But so far once it crashes the first time and I close PD11 and then reopen PD11 I am able to use the "Continuous Shooting" effect without it crashing. But if I reboot my PC and then open PD11 and place the effect on the timeline it crashes the first time I try to use it.

[Thumb - Continuous Shooting Crash after reboot.PNG]
 Filename
Continuous Shooting Crash after reboot.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Crash after PC reboot
 Filesize
220 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
813 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 05. 2012 10:01

Chris40 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I understand. Its worth a try. Perhaps a real fix will be in the first update whenever that gets released. I also have to wonder if disabling SLI may help. I have to run an older video driver for PD to work correctly and can't help but wonder if that is somehow involved here too. Intel 2600K
NVIDA 560Ti in SLI
16 Gig DDR 1066
3, 1TB SATA III HDs
Windows 7 64 bit
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Mine keeps working either way also.... sorry __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Chris40 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So long as hardware acceleration is off, it works fine, with hardware acceleration on, it crashes ever time. Odd. Intel 2600K
NVIDA 560Ti in SLI
16 Gig DDR 1066
3, 1TB SATA III HDs
Windows 7 64 bit
bitman [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Belgium Joined: Feb 24, 2013 03:42 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem with the "continous shooting filter".
This one crashes PD11 if I have GPU HW enabled. I suppose because this filter is using GPU HW acceleration as indicated in the pictogram of the filter.
I do not have nvidea, but ATI (now AMD) 2 x 5850 videocards in crossfire mode supporting openCL (and openGL)
I tried many videodrivers latest official 13.1 and beta 13.3
I have tried a few other GPU accelarated effects and they seem to work fine. Have not tried them all, hovever the "continous shooting filter" is probably NOK as it also always crashes my PD11 (ultra).
Cyberlink should fix this.
Anyway I am glad I am not alone with this issue, as it rules out bad setup or drivers

Win7 Ultimate, i7 930@2.8GHz, RAM 6GB, 2xSSD (raid 0), 2Tb data drive, creative X-fi, 2x ATI 5850 in crossfire mode, PD 11 ultra + color director
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Just to add to the mix here and muddy the waters a little I guess.

- I tested this Continuous Shooting effect on both an XP desktop and an i7 laptop/8GB, with and without HA on.
- Both previews resolutions were set to highest available respectively
- I tested with both a 1920x1080 image and 1920x1080 video clip.

I had no issues or crashes with any of the tests.

Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
No crashes here either, Cranston. Works on stills and video. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
bitman [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Belgium Joined: Feb 24, 2013 03:42 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
xerox : you are probably not using external videocards, but the AMD embedded graphics sollution (the architecture like e.g. video memory is used differently). So it may work for you.
For Cranston,I see you tested it on an XP PC which I doubt it be 64 bit OS , nor PD11 64 bit, and on the i7 laptop, which is definatly 64 bit (as it has 8G), but here again, I doubt it has a dedicated grahic card, most laptops have specifically designed embedded grahics solutions to save power and cost. So again it may work for you as well.

To rule out crossfire issues (the AMD equivalent for NVIDEA SLI), I disabled crossfire, but it still crashes my PD11 on that one filter.
Very easy to reproduce: start PD11 (so you are in a new/default project, make sure you are 16/9, drag the default nature.mpg from cyberlink to the timeline and drop the effect "continuous shooting" on it.
As I am Belgian, we use PAL here, but that is possibly not relevant (I hope). Win7 Ultimate, i7 930@2.8GHz, RAM 6GB, 2xSSD (raid 0), 2Tb data drive, creative X-fi, 2x ATI 5850 in crossfire mode, PD 11 ultra + color director
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi bitman,

You are correct. My 32 bit XP recently had a 6750 ATI card and PS upgrade.
And my 64bit i7 laptop has the integrated HD3000 graphics.

As to:
Quote: Very easy to reproduce: start PD11 (so you are in a new/default project, make sure you are 16/9, drag the default nature.mpg from cyberlink to the timeline and drop the effect "continuous shooting" on it.
The “Nature” clip is only a 512x288 resolution clip. But again, replicating the test with the Nature clip, did not cause any problems on my end.

Perhaps higher end rigs with higher end graphics do have an issue with the Continuous Shoot effect. If so, this is something that Cyberlink should certainly address.
And there’s also the commonly proffered… update your drivers and re-install QuickTime …advice. But I’ll leave that to our more technically astute members to comment on.

I was just reporting my “no problem here” results, using my lower spec’d rig(s), using Full HD 1920x1080 images and video, previewed at the highest possible resolution.
Still, I do sincerely hope that CL is looking in here, and that those who are affected by this “effect” glitch, will have it resolved by Cyberlink ASAP.

[Post New]
The continuous shooting effect still crashes my system. And that is when it is the only asset on the timeline as in my screenshot above.

The only way I can get it to not crash is to disable hardware acceleration in the preference setting and uncheck the two available options.

It does not crash when using power director 10.

I sent this off to the power director product manager to see if he can reproduce the problem in his environment.

Kevin

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Just to add more mud to the water.

I cannot replicate the problem.
1 - Place the Continuous Shooting effect on the effects track with no media - no crash
2 - Using .m2ts file (1920x1808 29.97i) and/or .jpg (3684x2736) - no crash with the effect placed in the effects track or directly to the clip. See screenshot
3 - I have hardware decoding enabled in Preferences (both boxes checked)
4 - Preview quality set to Full HD

System specs in my signature.

Hal
[Thumb - pd11preferences.PNG]
 Filename
pd11preferences.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
Continuous Shooting effect settings
 Filesize
268 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
141 time(s)
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
No crash.

Using release 2418 (I've had issues with 2516) and an ATI 5670 (release 13.1) card.

Win 10, i7
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Nothing much to add except to echo Cranston, Bubba, Hal, HDedit, Xerox etc

- No crash here. Not even a whimper. HA option, on or off makes no difference.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Update:

Still crashes with PD11 Build 2707

Tried with Catalyst versions 12.1,12.2,13.1 & 13.3 using Control Panel to remove the driver then using Drive Sweeper to ensure complete removal each driver. Rebooted PC and installed the next driver, repeat, repeat.

Same symptom when placing the "Continuous Shooting" effect on the timeline with Hardware Decoding" selected in Hardware Acceleration Preferences.

Cannot reproduce problem with Power Director 10.

Working with Cyberlink Product Manager to resolve.

Kevin
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
This is beginning to feel like awaiting one's first child !

Keep us informed Kevin. Win 10, i7