Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
external hard drive
Judithh121 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 07, 2011 06:26 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Is it possible to use an external hard drive to store the PD10 program, so that the whole thing could be used quickly on more than one laptop? I guess the answer is no, but I'd like to understand why.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Is it possible to use an external hard drive to store the PD10 program, so that the whole thing could be used quickly on more than one laptop? I guess the answer is no, but I'd like to understand why.

Power Director and most all other software use the Windows registry to store the basic operating environment, the registration information and other variables required for the program to operate.

You can have the program on an external drive, but you could have problems every time the drive is disconnected from the computer/laptop. The drive designation can and likely will change when reconnected. Thus causing the program to fail to launch because the operating system cannot find the necessary files to run the program.

Another reason is that you only buy a license to install the software on one computer/laptop at a time. It is actually not legal to have the software installed on more than one system at any given time unless you have purchased additional licenses.

Hal