Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD and subtitle options
[Post New]
Subtitles generated by PowerDVD are generally quite ugly, and often don't suit the look of the film in question, or as stark white may not be easily readable against the image. Other media players (such as VLC) allow the user to choose the colour, the font and even the size of the typeface in which subtitles are displayed. Why not PowerDVD?

So my questions are:

1) Why doesn't PowerDVD allow the font and colour for subtitles to be modified?

2) Why doesn't PowerDVD recognise and display embedded fonts for subtitles on discs such as The Lord of the Rings?

It seems PDVD12 hasn't addressed this either. Is there any hope of this for PDVD13?
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
those items are not in our scope for PowerDVD 12 and they have been reported to the planning team.

I do not have information if and when such feature could be implemented.

br
Michaell Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Ah, so PowerDVD is deficient in this regard, and isn't about to fix it.

Time to look for a new product, methinks.

But I'd be very surprised if this hasn't been requested many times by PDVD users. It's up to version 12, and still no mention of incorporating it? I would have thought Cyberlink would concentrate on features directly associated with playback as a priority over trying to become a media management system and other faddish outgrowths for which there are already superior solutions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 08. 2012 18:23

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
just to make it clear - there were about 4 users only asking this feature in this forum and only 1 contacted our support.
Without more feedback via our official support channels (this forum is a user-2-user forum!) the severity of such request is very low!

But as mentioned our planing team knows about the request.

greetings
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 09. 2012 02:52

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Hi Michael,
Well, to be fair, the Cyberlink website itself leads people to these forums rather than to logging a support request, so I don't think you can judge an issue by whether people log a support request or not.

I wonder if there's some sort of connection between the types of people who might use their PC to play a BD disc, and whether they would watch mavies that actualy require subtitles?

I think a much smaller percentage of US users would require subtitles than European users, for instance. Whereas from what I've read software like VLC, for instance, is much bigger in Europe than in the US.

Anyway, I've logged a support request on this. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Thanks again for your reply.
JHzz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2012 07:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
just to make it clear - there were about 4 users only asking this feature in this forum and only 1 contacted our support.
Without more feedback via our official support channels (this forum is a user-2-user forum!) the severity of such request is very low!

But as mentioned our planing team knows about the request.

greetings
Michael

Hi! Add me in the list. I just bought PWDVD12 and got disappointed when I couldn't just choose a subtitle for a serires episode I was watching. How about "Open subtitle" in Mouse Button 2 options? Take an example from BS.Player, VLC Media Player, or ANY OTHER media player. Shouldn't be too hard. I bet a lot of other users are annoyed because of this, but they don't bother to inform you because downloading VLC is much faster and the problem gets solved.

-Jesse "Luck"
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Michael,
Well, to be fair, the Cyberlink website itself leads people to these forums rather than to logging a support request, so I don't think you can judge an issue by whether people log a support request or not.

I wonder if there's some sort of connection between the types of people who might use their PC to play a BD disc, and whether they would watch mavies that actualy require subtitles?

I think a much smaller percentage of US users would require subtitles than European users, for instance. Whereas from what I've read software like VLC, for instance, is much bigger in Europe than in the US.

Anyway, I've logged a support request on this. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Thanks again for your reply.

And guess what? I didn't even get an answer from support.

So Michael, are you *sure* that your "about 4 users only" aren't merely the only 4 that support ever got around to replying to? If my request hasn't been responded to, then what chance is there they've even taken notice that the subject was asked about?

The newer versions of VLC are catching up pn PowerDVD very quickly indeed. And it's *free*. Cyberlink needs to shake its tail-feather if it wants to keep customers, rather than spending time on trying to turn the software into a media librarian like just about every other piece of multimedia software out there. I can't believe Cyberlink thinks its customers actually put a higher priority on the pretty clumsy level of media manipulation it's building into the new versions, at the expense of any attention to features still missing in PowerDVD's core functions as a video player.