Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HTML5 Capability
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Just a quick question, does PD10 have HTML5 capability.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the forum.
Due to expensive licensing restrictions, it is limited to HTML 3 and a quarter. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Nope, this maybe of interest
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21159.page

PD11, PD12 was suggested??

Jeff
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
The only reason I asked is because one of my other NLE's does have that capability and it's so easy to use, you just highlight the clip, press the HTML5 button, type in the address, press OK and it does the job for you, the link is immediately available.

Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I am confused as to what video production has to do with HTML5. Isn't the new HTML standard just a video player that will play online video without a plugin? Is the point to generate the associated code for the video? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Jamie,

Agreed, I think HTML5 video is flash (macromedia compatible) so to put video content up, you need to take your PD video like MPG and convert it to flash using something like Pazera Video to Flash converter.
But you need to do that anyway if you wish to embed a video on a web page. i.e. not have the user see a Download-save-as dialog box.

I use Pazera to convert mpg video to FLV and then use FlowPlayer to play the video embedded in my web pages.

There may be NLE out there that makes the FLV output directly, but PD users will be happy with Pazera or similar free products.

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
[Post New]
My question seems to have created some discussion here.

YouTube will soon have HTML5 capability and I can see the benefits of being able to embed links within your video to other videos on YouTube, just my opinion, I think it would be an asset for any NLE to have HTML5 capability.

PDtoots
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Robert,
again, the video being a flash object has the capability of actionscript which is like javascript. Your other NLE is placing a clickable link which pops up after n frames have played and when clicked takes the use user to a url for example. HTML5 isnt really involved in that part of the coding.

For PD users who wish to do this, its still possible. In my pervious post I stated that I use FlowPlayer as the player on my webpages (free, Google Flowplayer)

Though slightly complicated, I can popup an onscreen message after n frames have played and it is clickable. I can then respond to the the click event and fetch a url or do other javascript commands. This of course is after all PD development and generation of the output video. One benefit of using a third party player like Flowplayer is that it works ** with current websites and webpages. I dont use or need HTML5 browser capability.
I can also add the clickable link to any FLV video file - placing the link anywhere within the video - see Flowplayers site for details. Other players have this capability too, and I have no financial interest in their products.
The downside is that you are moving away from being an artistic video maker to being a computer programming geek.
I can't speak for Roberts other NLE.

Robert ? programming ??

** The corollary to using Flowplayer with current HTML pages is of course that HTML5 probably uses a player in its own source somewhere at Google Central. Coding in HTML5 is NOT simple and straight forward, it is just another programming paradigm but may offer programmers who migrate there to be able to do many many more smart tricks on the users browser, but requires a smarter browser. Recognise the pathway here ? WinXP begat Vista begat Win7, Win8, tablets .... Androids.... Terminator..Borg the software industry is like the automotive industry with new flavors every year. It will never end and HTML5 will become HTML9 in a blink or not depending if we adopt new browsers - Got Internet Explorer 6 ? Steve Balmer hates you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18. 2012 11:20

Videocentricity
[Post New]
A History of Embedded Video

In the beginning was Bill Gates
and Bill brought forth a browser for HTML
and Bill saw HTML and it was good.

and lo, the users saw the browser and wanted video
and Bill Gates let them download video.
But the users wanted embedded video.
And Bill let HTML show embedded video
but the load time was the run time of the video
and the users got bored waiting.

And other users developed players to serve the video
as FLV with little or no delay time.
And Bill gates saw the video player and decided to quit while he was ahead.
And Bill showed the world to Steve Balmer and warned him.
Beware of giving the users what they want without introducing a new
version of Windows with a seperate licence fee.

And Balmer introduced Windows 8 and it was okay
tho' Balmer decided users no longer want to play DVDs
so he dropped support for playing DVDs in favor of online
Saying, get thee thy codecs and DVD drivers from your oem at extra cost.

And video makers looked at Windows 8 and saw no drivers for many of their formats
and they saw FLV files as the future - only.
and they were unimpressed.
And the users saw Android and they said
Show us the software manual
and it was good.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18. 2012 13:39

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
The idiotic star fairy is back & somehow draws others into its pathetic little vortex.

If the forum isn't for raising questions & discussing issues & ideas, it's for nothing. I think this question is worth discussing, even though I don't wholly understand it.

Good on you Ron, for bringing some knowledge to the table... and a bit of verse to add artistic verisimiltude! and good on you, Robert, for asking the question & promoting discussion.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. Star fairy - this page should give you something to play with... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23223.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18. 2012 16:38

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Ah, fairies, stars and vortices, Tony. I forsee a black hole forming - where all matter is meaningless. I believe some people have this as their life's work.

"We argue the existence of solutions of the Euclidean Einstein equations that correspond to a vortex sitting at the horizon of a black hole. We find the asymptotic behaviors, at the horizon and at infinity, of vortex solutions for the gauge and scalar fields in an Abelian Higgs model on a Euclidean Schwarzschild background and interpolate between them by integrating the equations numerically. Calculating the back reaction shows that the effect of the vortex is to cut a slice out of the Euclidean Schwarzschild geometry. The consequences of these solutions for black-hole thermodynamics are discussed." 1991 paper abstract.

[and this means that in some circumstances a 1 star is actually transposed to become a 5 star but appears in purely temporal time as a 1 star but is really a 5 star but we just can't see it (not even with 3D glasses!)]

As with other aspects of the forum the occasional black hole adds interest to the mundane task of video editing and puts the odd freeze frame into context.

Philosophically,
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Videocentricity
[Post New]

Y'know how sometimes you post your message and then wake up in the wee hours and fret that maybe you were wrong and ought to retract part of a statement ? Of course you do....

I got up this morning and Googled "HTML5 features"

I found a wonderful article called "28 HTML5 features, tips and techniques" and now I feel completely justified in every rotten thing I hinted at earlier.
http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/html-css-techniques/25-html5-features-tips-and-techniques-you-must-know/

It begins quite soon into the article

Tip 2 for example - wraping the title of an image inside yet another (useless) set of terms ..... duh !
Tip 10 wrap your <divs> inside more terms ... like Tip 2
Tip 11 form features - I am not all sour grapes, these features for tablet users are a good idea....
Tip 17 Video support

Ah, Robert this is just for you, the video construct and YouTube support

1.<video controls preload>
2. <source src="cohagenPhoneCall.ogv" type="video/ogg; codecs='vorbis, theora'" />
3. <source src="cohagenPhoneCall.mp4" type="video/mp4; 'codecs='avc1.42E01E, mp4a.40.2'" />
4. <p> Your browser is old. <a href="cohagenPhoneCall.mp4">Download this video instead.</a> </p>
5.</video>

There are a few things worth noting here.

1.We aren’t technically required to set the type attribute; however, if we don’t, the browser has to figure out the type itself. Save some bandwidth, and declare it yourself.
2.Not all browsers understand HTML5 video. Below the source elements, we can either offer a download link, or embed a Flash version of the video instead. It’s up to you.
3.The controls and preload attributes will be discussed in the next two tips.

Hmmm, a bit ugly the way it says your browser is a piece of old shit, download the video as a file. Could it not automatically offer 20th century handling of the video embedded ? Its supposed to be smarter than HTML

So, HTML5 seems to offer the ability to show video on the page - no need Robert, to use your other NLE because this is HTML5 on the webpage not in the video editor. And it seems to imply you know which codec to specify. I wonder if Mr Balmer put them on your Windows 8 distribution disk....

The rest of the tips are not of any importance in this forum so I will stop now. I suggest that if you want your personal webpage to run on a tablet with HTML5 the code shown above will be spiffy and work perfectly across all versions of Win,Android and iPad regardless of vendor and that only leaves the rest of the mac and windows world. You will still need to determine their browser type and supply code to show the video, or bluntly offer them the file to download as in the example above,

Actually the plan is that there will be no desktop pcs around in 5 years and we will all be carrying personal pocket wonders around. Thats when the kiddie programmers will cease to care about supporting your browser and you probably wont even be offered the choice to download. You will have become marginalised off the page (margin geddit ?)

Whats that ? you live in the backwoods and have Internet Explorer 6 on an XP machine ?
Shame on you for not joining the wireless society.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I signed up on YouTube to beta the HTML5, and first thing it told me was that I don't have an HTML5 player, so I assume my browser wasn't compatible. As far as links, I have seen them on YouTube for a while, but I don't like to upload videos and then edit them online, so I never bothered to look at how it was done. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Html5 is of interest to me, streaming video script is, I did a little research but need to do some more. My eldest is quite handy writing program script and such. The website script he wrote (for fun) has his still images and a html5 section for video playing/streaming. The problem I encountered trying to view the videos was my browser was way out of date. I installed Firefox 12 and viewed the video.

PowerDirector 10 creates *.mp4 files and these can be played using the html5 script but not the formats *.webm and *.ogg which html5 can also play. To play the video in a web page requires specific script in the <head> and <body> along with three javascript files and a .css file inserts for a website's html5 player page. All 3 videos can be inserted into the script and the browser preferred video is then played. That "choice" triples the required storage space for video on a server.

The likelihood is that *.webm is to be the one taken up by YouTube and others and may make *.webm the dominant format. The problem at the moment is the various browsers do not all accept one or other of the formats and the number of files which have to be hosted is a problem. I'm told that Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Chrome are ok with *.webm and Safari requires a plug-in. Internet Explorer doesn't accept *.webm at the moment. I'm told a year ago a court case was taken out about *.webm and its use, but I haven't done any background checking on that.

There is also the question of which files to host on one's server and which of the three produces the best results for the lowest sized file. A *.webm and *.ogg converter has to be obtained, I'll leave members to do their own research. I do have a free *.webm converter program.

I have asked the research department at CyberLink to look at file production for html5 for future versions of PD..

Video hosting sites are likely to convert any and all uploaded video to a resolution and format in the background/online just as they do now for flv streamed video.

The use of these different formats and html5 script is to let mobile device browsers view the video that's uploaded to sites like YouTube and Vimeo predominantly.

OK, I'm off to play with the different formats and see what I come up with and then create a streaming website.

Dafydd

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at May 19. 2012 04:53

Videocentricity
[Post New]
Let me share some sample code taken directly from a personal website I own.
I have used { and } in place of < and > because the forum wont let code be included.

{html}
{head}
{SCRIPT src="flowplayer-3.1.1.min.js" type=text/javascript}{/SCRIPT}
{SCRIPT language=JavaScript}
flowplayer("player", "flowplayer-3.1.1.swf");
{/SCRIPT}
{/head}
{body}
{A id=player style="DISPLAY: block; WIDTH: 720px; HEIGHT: 506px " href="movietitle.flv" }{/A}
{/body}
{/html}

Thats all that is required.
The flowplayer.js file is the code which allows the user to click and start/stop the movie
The flowplayer.swf is the status line of the movie where start/pause/runtime etc can be viewed

Again, I have no financial interest in flowplayer - I just want a free player to embed flash .FLV movies which I created from PD mpeg movies using Pazera mpeg to flash converter (also free)

To see the result here is a link to a page with a flash movie

http://www.carlukehistory.co.uk/player/historyharry.php