Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
cross fade between two video tracks
JSC [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 20, 2012 09:22 Messages: 71 Offline
[Post New]
I have video on three tracks. A clip on track 1 ends as another clip on track 2 begins. How do I add a cross fade transition between the two clips on the two tracks? It will only allow me to place a transition inside the end of the first clip, or inside the start of the second clip. It won't let me place it half on and half off the end of the first clip.

Do I have to move all my clips to a single track? I suppose I could shift all my clips so they slightly overlap, but that would be a lot of added work, and difficult to line up properly.

Thanks,

Jim PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
That is the only way I know to do it. Make them overlap and use the PiP Designer to fade in and out. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
[I apologize if I'm missing your point. I might not be answering the question you asked.]

You can put a transition entirely within a clip (but only at one end or the other).. It doesn't have to be between them. Try it with the samples.

• Put harvest.mpo on track one.
  • Put birdbath.mpo on track two. If you don't want an actual fade-to-black between the two clips when they play, position birdbath.mpo so that it begins slightly before harvest.mpo ends.
  • Drag the Fade transition down to track 1 and put it inside the right edge of harvest.mpo.
  • Just for fun, drag the Grand Opening transition down to track 2 and drop it just inside the left edge of birdbath.mpo

• Now play the movie, and see if we're getting close to what you want.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2012 20:47

Jerry Schwartz
    JSC [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Not exactly. Let's say clip 1 on track 1 ends at the 1 minute mark. The first clip 2 on track 2 goes from the 1 minute mark to the 2 minute mark. (The reason my clips are on multiple tracks is because they came from video from 3 different cameras of the same event. They've been split and cropped into the elements I want from each one to create one continuous video.) Now, I want a regular cross fade between these two clips, but PD won't let you drag a transition to any place (end of clip 1 or beginning of clip 2) that accomplishes this. PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
    [Post New]
    You have to move the clip on track two backward just a bit to overlap the track 1 clip. Then put your cross fade at the end of clip 1 or start of clip 2.
    ynotfish
    Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi JSC -

Seems like you've done most of the hard work already.

If you were happy with a fade to/from black between each clip, you could just insert a prefix & postfix fade on each clip.

If you'd prefer each clip to transition smoothly... since you've already trimmed (split) out the parts you don't want... the easiest thing would be to drag each of the clips in tracks 2 & 3 into the spaces in track 1. After that, you can apply your favourite transition in a couple of clicks.

How does the video look without ANY transitions? Have you considered that as a possibility?

Cheers - Tony
    Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
    Full linked Tutorial Catalog
    PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
    JSC [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Thanks Wnuk and Tony,

Of those two workarounds, I think I'll go with dragging the clips from tracks 2 and 3 up into track 1. That means moving a few hundred clips, but at least that involves moving only 2/3 of the clips vs. adjusting every one to overlap.

Tony, there are instances where I won't use a transition (camera angle changes with no gap in time). Where there is any time gap between the clips, I want to transition with a cross fade. If a fade could be attached half on and half off of the end or beginning of a clip, I wouldn't need to move anything.

Jim PowerDirector 365, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core processor 4.05 GHz, 32GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit OS, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
    [Post New]
    Another solution is to overlap the tracks a bit, then use your your keyframe option to fade out or fade in the tracks. You can then make the fades as short or as long as you wish.
    [Post New]
    Quote: Thanks Wnuk and Tony,
    Of those two workarounds, I think I'll go with dragging the clips from tracks 2 and 3 up into track 1. That means moving a few hundred clips, but at least that involves moving only 2/3 of the clips vs. adjusting every one to overlap.
    Tony, there are instances where I won't use a transition (camera angle changes with no gap in time). Where there is any time gap between the clips, I want to transition with a cross fade. If a fade could be attached half on and half off of the end or beginning of a clip, I wouldn't need to move anything.
    Jim

You already have the cuts made in the track 2 and 3, would be good to repeat them on a track 1, this ensures accuracy to override the files in a track 1, completed all the videos in track 1, use the CrossTransition , this not move with the video, block the audio beam to ensure synchronization (audio / video)
    [Thumb - multi Split.jpg]
     Filename
    multi Split.jpg
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    91 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    4173 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at May 19. 2012 22:05

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
    SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB