Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Keyframe Spacing
wh7262
Member Location: Carrollton, TX Joined: Apr 25, 2011 10:07 Messages: 96 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to be able to see a closer or zoom in on the frames when adding a keyframe, is there a way to display the frames like in a Timeline fashion? I just want to "zoom in" more on the frames and easily place the keyframe. For an example, when one wants a on-off flashing to be done, then seeing the spacing is critical to me. Sometime the light is "on" more and then "off" more..

Look at the following web page , this what I created and was trying to do with a scoreboard light to flash on and off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Bill Thanks,
Bill in Texas

PD-12, PD-14 and PD15 is installed on this iMAC computer under BootCamp, and PD's are running great:
DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
System Model: iMac11,2
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4022MB RAM
Page File: 2031MB used, 6010MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

PD-12 PowerDirector Ultra: 12.0.3403.0

PD-14 PowerDirector Ultra: 14.0.1728.0
SR numbers: VDE14

PD-15 Power Director Ultra
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill,

Once the process has been started, you can close PIP Designer, highlight this segment in the timeline, and then click on the Keyframe button, then stretch out the Keyframe settings window. But I find the process modifying in the Keyframes window to be very clumsy, compared to PIP Designer.

A request that CL (at the least), make the PIP Designer window available at full screen, is something that has been requested over and over since way back to the PD7 days (I think). And it’s a complete mystery, (to me anyway), why this PIP Designer Window is still only offered as a 60% (?) screen. Especially as PIP Designer is where so much precision type of editing commands are made, with respect to key frame placements.

In PD10, CL offered the new drawing tool, who’s new window “is” available at full screen. So full screen sub windows apparently "can" be accomplished in PD. Yet…

I also agree that an additional zoom in feature like you describe, and just as is available in the Trim Room window (once again demonstrating that it also can be done), should be added to PIP Designer.
But, I guess we’ll have to wait again, for PD11, to see if CL will finally respond to some of these longstanding feature requests, made by many loyal and longsuffering PD users.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hear hear Mr Cranston!!!

... and to Bill, too, for putting together a tutorial demo of how you went about getting what you want.

Setting keyframes accurately is all very clunky when you're working in a shrunken space. Bill - when you're doing your keyframe setting right in the timeline, it's best to zoom the timeline to maximum (frame level). In an NTSC project, that allows keyframes to be set 00;00;00;06 apart (6 frames).

Here's a bit of a modified way of doing the scoreboard thing... there'd be many, of course. Not better - just slightly different.

Instead of varying the opacity of the colour board, you could just set duration to (say) 00;00;00;15 and copy and paste as in the screenshot...

In this example, the colour boards flash in the words &/or score spaces (rather than a button).

You'll see what I mean in the attached video (of a very fast scoring game!). Also attached in the scoreboard template I used.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - ScoreBoard.png]
 Filename
ScoreBoard.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
18 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
303 time(s)
 Filename
ColourBoard ScoreBoard.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1039 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
395 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 14. 2012 21:16

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
wh7262
[Post New]
Well, after reading both replies, I went back to the "drawing board". I started PD10 back up and made a video as shown here:

I did glean from making this in how to use the Timelines in the different windows which are available in PD10.
* The Track Timeline - then zoom in for more precise placement of keyframes
* The "Keyframe" tab located above the tracks, then on the left window pane, click on the "Clip Attributes". Located in the "Clip Attributes" is an icon shaped as a Keyframe, by clicking on this icon a keyframe can be added or removed. There is a Timeline show in the window display just to the right of the "Clip Attributes" display. The only way to zoom in or out is to place the cursor on the Timeline at the top. After placing the cursor there, left click and hold, then drag the cursor to the left to zoom out and to the right to zoom in.
* The PIP Designer after clicking "Modify" above the tracks. - cannot zoom in here as one can above in the other two scenarios, what a shame.

Still working on other features in the Clip Attributes window and their use, like the H & W Scales and the Freeforms. The PD10 manual does not mention or should I say, I could not find any mentioning of the H & W Scale. If you know please let me know what page it is on.

Still Learning,
Bill Thanks,
Bill in Texas

PD-12, PD-14 and PD15 is installed on this iMAC computer under BootCamp, and PD's are running great:
DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

wh7262
[Post New]
Cranston and Tony,

You two guys have caused me to dig deeper into KeyFrames and I possibly have found Cranston's issue as he stated earlier: "Once the process has been started, you can close PIP Designer, highlight this segment in the timeline, and then click on the Keyframe button, then stretch out the Keyframe settings window. But I find the process modifying in the Keyframes window to be very clumsy, compared to PIP Designer." I found while using the Keyframe settings area, I was able to do more than I did in the PIP Designer, with greater accuracy in placement of Keyframes in the Timeline, the positioning of the picture, which now will brings us to the H Scale, W Scale, Rotation, Freeform Top-Left, Freeform Top-right, Freeform Bottom-Left, Freeform Bottom-Right functions found both the PIP Designer and the Keyframe-Clip Attributes areas.

I started off reading the PD10 manual about Keyframes and searching for articles on the H Scale and W Scale functions and how to use them. So what are Clip Attributes, add/remove a Keyframe, the Opacity, H scale, W Scale, Freeform Top-Left, Freeform Top-right, Freeform Bottom-Left, Freeform Bottom-Right. I made a tutorial, which I will try to explain these functions and how they are then tied into Keyframes as well. Please see the Youtube video and please excuse my voice for I have a cold.

The Keyframe settings allows one to have more of a precise positioning setting environment where as in the PIP Designer allows one to a general positioning area. It just depends on the user and their requirements Keyframes settings tab also offers Color Adjustments, such as the Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Saturation, Sharpness, Color Temperature and White Balance, just as one would in the Fix/Enhance setting tab.

So now you know, each to their own way of doing things, but then be willing to let others know hoe you accomplished it as well.

Enjoy and help others learn CLPD.
Bill
[youtube] Thanks,
Bill in Texas

DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------

wh7262
[Post New]
The video "Creating Keyframes in Cyberlink PowerDirector" was removed, please disregard any information that I posted in this particular topic.

Apparently I have offended videographers using this forum and I am sorry to have offended those who have read the above post and got upset, it won't happen again, I can assure you of that. As soon as I can find out how to have my post removed, I will. If you know how, then please, let me know.

Yes, one can do certain actions in one area and more detailed actions in another area, each person has their own requirements when producing a video. Some may want to just do it quickly and they stay away from the Keyframe Settings and are mostly in the Modify & PIP Settings. However there comes a time when one needs to narrow down and be more precise of placement at a certain keyframe. I am not referring to creating shadows, motion paths and etc within the Keyframes Setting area.

Yes, I do know one cannot do the following:
- Add a Shadow to your object in the Effects Settings window within the Keyframe Settings.
- Add a Border to your object in the Effects Settings window within the Keyframe Settings.
- Add a curved motion path to you object in the Effects Settings window within the Keyframe Settings.
- Etc, etc, etc. within the Keyframe Settings
Because the Effects Setting is not available for use within the Keyframe Settings area.

Yes, the PIP Designer has more, greater, better and easier to use features than in the Keyframe Settings. And Yes again, the PIP Designer's timeline should be able to ZOOM IN / OUT area on the timeline as there is in the Tracks and in Keyframe Settings. As to why it is not there, I do not know, why the programmers have not responded to people's request, I do not know.

The Keyframe Settings has only the following functions:
* Fix / Enhance Settings
* Effect Settings ( Does not work within the Keyframe Settings, so why is it even there?) at least I could not get it work.
* Clip Attributes Settings
The use of the Keyframe button is to customize the effect’s settings at a particular time in the timeline frame/s. The key words here are TIME and FRAME.

Just trying to help others,
Bill Thanks,
Bill in Texas

DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------

wh7262
[Post New]
Just to be clear, I, at my own discretion removed the videos from YouTube, The moderator has not and did not contacted me and and ask for the videos to be removed. I will repost them to YouTube, but will not supply a link within this forum.

Again, Thanks to all for their knowledge, inputs and I must say, their constructive criticisms. I mean this in a positive way.

God Bless,
Bill Thanks,
Bill in Texas

DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------

wh7262
[Post New]
Well I ahve created the following videos trying to explain to the Support staff at Cyberlink the issues with Motion Paths having a Curved or Circular path. It has been to no avail yet in getting a reasonable correct answer. They have done nothing but SPIN the topic, they must be in Washington D.C..

from the Support reply as follows:
"According to the user guide of PowerDirector 10:

Rotation: enter in the preferred orientation in degrees for media clips at different moments (keyframes) in your video production."

My response back"
Actually, the manual refers to this in the Text editing area, see Step 7. Use the sliders to rotate the 3D text to generate your preferred orientation. Overlap the text and the PiP object, and then click Save." on page 54 of Chapter 1, Quick Start Tips.

No where else in the PD10 manuals does it say anything about 'preferred orientation'. Also please note in the video, PD10 does display both negative and decimals numbers in the Rotation value area under the Clip Attributes functions.

Here is the web page link for the video.
http://youtu.be/2k73E_QmWwg

They then responded back:
Thanks for writing back.

I understand your concern related with CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Ultra upgrade and you are facing an issue with the Keyframe settings under rotation.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

In regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that the link for the video that you sent me helped me a lot in rectifying the issue and hence, I got the solution. Please follow the instructions and look at the attachment.

1. Launch PowerDirector 10.

2. Import the Blue Circle and drag it down to the timeline.

3. Double click on the blue circle from the timeline and it will open a PiP Designer window.

4. In PiP Designer window, click on the second option from the left hand side buttons which says "Add/Edit motion for the PiP effect".

5. Select the "Circle" from the path and if you look down, you also have another settings i.e. "Rotation Settings".

6. In Rotation settings, you need to click on button which says "Set to zero degrees" and now click on Save.

You can look at the attachment where you can find these settings and hence, you will get the Rotation as -0.6 automatically in Keyframe>>Clip Attributes>>Rotation.

I responded back:
To Support:
You all are still missing the main issues of the trouble report as shown above. I keep getting answers that evade the QUESTIONS PRESENTED ABOVE AND NOW BELOW.

I have been trying to get the Support Staff at Cyberlink to understand the issues we are having with the PowerDirector 10 version when it comes to the Motion Paths as a curve or circular in movement. When selecting Keyframes, after using the PiP Designer to choose a Motion Path, if adding or removing Keyframes, or changing the Opacity levels, or changing the H scale or the W scale the programs WILL DISTORT the Motion Path from it's original path.

However, if the Motion Path is in a straight line, then the adding or removing Keyframes, or changing the Opacity levels, or changing the H scale or the W scale WILL NO EFFECT the Motion Path from it's original path. The straight line can be angled, box shape, vertical or horizontal in it's Motion Path.

This video is for the support staff at Cyberlink to fink their problems with PowerDirector 10.
url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSdYR_tDefI[/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k73E_QmWwg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbhxexQYIqw
[ Thanks,
Bill in Texas

DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------

MARK_W [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2012 08:50 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
hi wh7262

WOW this is the exact opposite to what I found in this post, below
If you have time read through this, I have a support tickets on this.
I will look again on your post in the morning and try and copy it

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21458.page

Mark

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 23. 2012 17:00

wh7262
[Post New]
The more I have dug into PD10 and the Motion Path issue, the more I have found the issue to be if the Motion Path that was created in the PiP Designer was "curved", "waves", or "circular" in their motion path. If so, then when one goes into the Keyframes settings and tries to add, remove a Keyframe, to change the Opacity levels, to change the H scale vales or the W scales, then the Motion's path is distorted.

If the created Motion path made in PiP designer were straight, angled, horizontal or vertical, rectangular, or square or even partially forms a box then any changes made in the Keyframes setting DOES NOT EFFECT and I repeat DOES NOT EFFECT the Motion Paths does not distort it either.

I just did these today and tied nearly everyone of the Motion Paths in the PiP Designer room. And that was my results.

Be sure to watch these videos at my YT site. Also there are several other videos that I posted as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSdYR_tDefI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k73E_QmWwg

Also thought it was the way I Produced the file as a WMV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrt_ZhxQTN8
or the MPEG-2 format

Because when I produced it in Sony Vegas Pro 10 it was OK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxUGE5RiZSg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDjeC3GrPnM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNGQqrl-jUo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRowv0Tl7o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXKRN0VIw3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy3NxJckJEE

This all of my videos so far that I have created to help get this issue resolved. Thanks,
Bill in Texas

DxDiag Info:
System Information
------------------