Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Aspect ratio of menu-less DVD always 4:3
[Post New]
Whenever I create a DVD with no menu, the aspect ratio is 4:3. Simply adding a menu changes the aspect ratio to 16:9, which is actually what I prefer, since the original video is HD.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Note: the project aspect ratio is set to 16:9 and the 'Video and Audio Settings' in the '2D Disc' page are set to Widescreen (16:9) and HQ - Best Quality.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 22. 2011 13:19

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
The frame size of a DVD is fixed for the region you reside by The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG).

NTSC = 720 x 480
PAL = 720 x 576

This is a 4:3 frame size and remains regardless of what is selected.

A TV will "stretch" a screen frame size to fit. If you've selected 16:9 then the frame size will be 4:3 but the project video is rendered in a squashed style (everyone is taller). To overcome this display 4;3 for a 16:9 "squashed" video adjusted your handset controls. The TV will then display the 16:9 as per your expectations.

Dafydd
[Post New]
Quote: A TV will "stretch" a screen frame size to fit. If you've selected 16:9 then the frame size will be 4:3 but the project video is rendered in a squashed style (everyone is taller). To overcome this display 4;3 for a 16:9 "squashed" video adjusted your handset controls. The TV will then display the 16:9 as per your expectations.
Dafydd

I understand, but how do you explain the different behavior with and without a menu? And, actually, to be correct, I should have stated that with a menu, the picture has top and bottom bars and is not stretched; whereas without a menu, the picture has no bars, but is stretched -- everyone is tall and skinny.