Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Converting mono audio into stereo
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
(NOTE: I posted this before my 14:49 response, but it disappeared for some reason)

Quote Thank you for the audio mp3. The STE-004 38 second replacement.mp3 is already in stereo as shown by Mediainfo. No other work needs to be done to make it stereo. The volume on the left channel is higher. See the attached text file.

Yes, the original clip was recorded in stereo, but there is no audio signal at all on the right channel. I think the mic plug and the recorder jack were mismatched as only on the left side was active. Often a mono mic plug will automatically supply the audio to both channels, but that didn't happen here:

I have converted the clip to have identical audio on both channels in AudioDirector, and you can download the .WAV file from this OneDrive folder (It's 8MB, which is too big for a forum attachment).

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks to costy’s attached mp3 file. I find that they play with louder volume on the left channel than on the right. This is on track1, the voiceover track, and the music track. Edit Audio/ Audio Editor show the same thing. All on PD17.

Open WaveEditor2 and see only the left channel has a waveform. No waveform on the right. Did a range copy of the left channel and paste it on the right channel. This plays in center mono on WMP.

Open PD14 and it plays only the left channel in the track 1, voiceover, and music track. There is no sound from my right speaker. My Pref settings are for 5.1 audio. Edit Audio/WaveEditor correctly show that only the left channel has a waveform.

Open PD17 and supply the screenshot with Audio Editor incorrectly show that mp3 file has higher volume on the left channel and lower volume on the right channel. Check the Prefs settings are for 5.1. On a hunch changed it to stereo and clicked OK. Open Audio Editor and it correctly now shows only the left channel has a waveform. Only the left channel now has sound. I can now change the volume independently on each channel on the Skateboard sample video. This may be another bug in PD17 that does not exist in PD14.

I beleive that costy can use WaveEditor freeware, Audaciy, or WaveEditor 2 to accomplish copying the left channel to the right channel of his mp3.
[Thumb - PD17 AE incorrect.jpg]
 Filename
PD17 AE incorrect.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD17 AE showing incorrect audio in Prefs 5.1 selection.
 Filesize
279 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
[Thumb - WE STE-004.jpg]
 Filename
WE STE-004.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
PD14 WaveEditor2 show only Left channel.
 Filesize
159 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - WE lcr.jpg]
 Filename
WE lcr.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
WE2 copy left channel to right channel.
 Filesize
176 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Open PD17 and supply the screenshot with Audio Editor incorrectly show that mp3 file has higher volume on the left channel and lower volume on the right channel. Check the Prefs settings are for 5.1. On a hunch changed it to stereo and clicked OK. Open Audio Editor and it correctly now shows only the left channel has a waveform. Only the left channel now has sound. I can now change the volume independently on each channel on the Skateboard sample video. This may be another bug in PD17 that does not exist in PD14.

I beleive that costy can use WaveEditor freeware, Audaciy, or WaveEditor 2 to accomplish copying the left channel to the right channel of his mp3.

Fascinating. Basically, you were seeing the "fill-in" effect that JL_JL was hoping to get from using 5.1 or TrueTheater to supply some signal to the missing channel. It makes some amount of sense from that angle, so maybe it isn't actually a bug?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Back in 2011 I purchased PD9 and in all versions of PD my Prefs are set to 5.1 and still get good separation on stereo music used in Slideshows while my videos recording are 5.1. This test means that good stereo separation are not possible in videos produced in PD17 as there will be some bleeding over to the other channels unless you change the prefs to stereo.
frown
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Back in 2011 I purchased PD9 and in all versions of PD my Prefs are set to 5.1 and still get good separation on stereo music used in Slideshows while my videos recording are 5.1. This test means that good stereo separation are not possible in videos produced in PD17 as there will be some bleeding over to the other channels unless you change the prefs to stereo.
frown

Now THAT sounds like a bug worthy of reporting undecided

YouTube/optodata

cotsy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2018 12:21 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks all for the great interest and support. I downloaded Audio Director and was able to do the copy from one channel to the other very easily. Not sure why you can't do it w/o AD?

Thanks again
Dave
JimIowa
Senior Member Location: United States Joined: Mar 03, 2017 21:59 Messages: 161 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a mono audio track and want to make it stereo.

Thanks

Glad to see all the useful advice here!

I just had an issue where raw video only had left channel audio and a silent channel on the right. Fixing it with Audio Director was easy. (See here.) It doesn't produce stereo, but it fills both tracks. Too bad the Audio Editor in v. 17 is so limited.
--Jim
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have written a support ticket Question ID = CS001999280 for the stereo separation problem found on the timeline but not in the media library of PD17.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have received a response for my support ticket. It reads in part: With reference to your query, upon checking on your provided information, we do appreciate for reporting the issue. We have duplicated the issue in our lab and an engineer is assigned to check the issue.

At least they are aware of the stereo separation issue now.
cotsy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 22, 2018 12:21 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you very much