Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Multicam Editor Questions
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The Preview window seemed to freeze although the audio continued, and clicking on different cameras didn't seem to switch the preview to them.

I'd probably do a little more research before thinking that a new GPU will fix the video freeze in MC designer. I believe that issue with the skip is really more of a CPU load rather than GPU. But heck, as I was told before, it's my OPINION, so I won't bore the forum with data to substantiate it.

I can play four 1920x1080 24Mbps streams without a single video skip in MC Editor. Five video cards 3 PC's and every cross combination to "learn".

Quote: In rough numbers, HD files run around 28Mbps and a typical 7200rpm drive can transfer data at ~110Mbps. Since you're looking at editing 4 clips simultaneously in the ME, you'd ideally need 4x28 or 112Mbps- so you should be right at the limit.

Might check that, 28Mbps=3.5MB/sec, 1 byte consists of 8 bits. Video in Mb/s not MB/s. Standard 7200rpm HD these days, 110MB/sec read, so really not a throttle for HD.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
JL_JL, you're right about the mix-up in my numbers for video bit rate versus drive transfer rate. Even a slow 5400rpm disk on eSATA should easily be able to handle 4 HD clips at the same time, but it's still a good idea for Eldor to checkjust to rule out a slow speed issue there.

Also, I don't think I said that a new GPU would solve all possible skip/stutter problems, just that a more powerful card would make him a happier editor.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I'd love to be a happier editor!

Okay, let me ask you this: If you have two virtually identical computers (same version of Win7 64-bit, same video card, same SSD drive C:, same second and third physical HDD's -eSATA internal) and the only difference was the speed of the i7 processor, with one being 2.93GHz and the other 3.40GHz, how much difference would you see in video editing? Multicam Editor?

Would such a difference be enough to make the ME virtually unusable?

I doubt very much that it would. And the difference in performance may not in practice be noticeable at all. That's not scientific, just my gut feel.

That gut feel of mine is what's making me upgrade the video card in the slower computer to a GTX 960. Currently the video card in the faster computer is a lot better than what's in the slower computer and it runs the ME just fine. So if I upgrade the video card in the slower computer to one that's a lot faster than the one in my faster computer, well, it should work just fine.

At least I'm hoping it will.

Other than the video card, the two computers are virtually identical with the exception of the i7 speed.

Quote: Also, I don't think I said that a new GPU would solve all possible skip/stutter problems, just that a more powerful card would make him a happier editor.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Eldor, you're in a great situation to actually evaluate the differences in performance between systems, and my expectation is that a more powerful video card in your home system will likely make up for the lower processor speed.

However, as JL_JL mentioned, the CPU does a lot of work in ME, and it's likely that processor speed and version will come into play. For example, a 1st or 2nd generation i7 will perform slower than a 3rd (or 4th or 5th) gen i7 will, even with identical clock speed.

Here's a comparison of your home CPU vs. mine. Your work system will probably be different, but you can see that there's about a 2x difference in processing "horsepower."

The good news is that it's easy to upgrade your video card and you'll know right away if that's enough to solve your performance issues. Unfortunately, it may turn out to be just the first step in wanting to get more performance out of your system and that has been known to lead to an ever increasing investment of time and money... but enough about me

In any event, upgrades can be done incrementally and you'd certainly be able to use your new GTX960 (or whichever card you choose) even if you decide to update your home computer to take advantage of the newer CPUs that are available.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Eldor
Member Location: Montreal, Canada Joined: Feb 27, 2015 10:13 Messages: 112 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for that, Optodata.

Just for comparison, I've added the processor I have on my machine at work:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1919&cmp[]=832&cmp[]=868

It seems there is quite a difference in performance. I'm still hoping though that upgrading the video card in my home machine will make Multicam Editing at least possible on that machine.
optodata
[Post New]
In your case, the smaller the difference in processor power, the more likely you'll see the benefit of upgrading your home GPU

Let us know how it goes!

YouTube/optodata

Eldor
[Post New]
Optodata, et al,

I've finished my upgrade to a GTX 960 and working drives to 2TB 7200 rpm drives (WD Black) and must say that everything looks to be working very well now on my home computer. I tried the MultiCam Editor stuff that hadn't worked before and now it not only works but works very smoothly.

I've also been able to turn off ShadowEditFiles and it's WORKING!!!!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Quote: In your case, the smaller the difference in processor power, the more likely you'll see the benefit of upgrading your home GPU

Let us know how it goes!
optodata
[Post New]
Excellent! I'm happy to hear that your upgraded system is working so well. Video editing is a very computationally-intensive task and the more powerful your hardware the better your editing experience will be.

Happy Editing!

YouTube/optodata