Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Difficulty with MOV files
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Does anyone have a suggestion about what I might try to get this going a little easier? It is so hard and difficult to try to edit anything if there even is a single MOV file in it. Right now I am trying to edit a video with MOV, MP4, and AVI and it is a super hassle with the constant frame freeze, skipping to the end, and all that stuff. ~Tom~
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Does anyone have a suggestion about what I might try to get this going a little easier? It is so hard and difficult to try to edit anything if there even is a single MOV file in it. Right now I am trying to edit a video with MOV, MP4, and AVI and it is a super hassle with the constant frame freeze, skipping to the end, and all that stuff.

The only thing I see in your 64bit dxdiag.txt file (Thank You) is your CPU is not the fastest on the block.

It is a 2.2 GHz clock instead a greater than 3 GHz CPU. That means your CPU is slower than some, and may make editing HD and mixed content more difficult.

Have you tried using Shadow files on your system? You do have to wait for the files to be generated before editing.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Carl for looking at this. Having a slow CPU could explain it. I never knew it was a slow one, used to seem okay.

I have shadow files turned off, because as I recall a few generations ago it seemed the chatter in the forum was that shadow files were very undesirable and should be switched off. I do not recall the reason why.

My system has no issues at all with MT2S, or AVI, or MP4 files, even in mixed use. It has always been very fast to use while editing. Only the MOV files are the devil. Slow to import into PowerDirector, even. A MOV file will just slow everything down now, right from the point of importing it.

One other thought I had today. Not too long ago, a week maybe two, AMD sent me an e-mail telling me an updated driver was available and I should update. Being programmed for many years now that "you should always install the latest drivers" I did as I was programmed to do and I updated it. I am beginning to think this might be part of the cause of my issues.

Anyway, I have spent two days and umpty ump hours editing a 3 minute video. During the process I got a few of these blanked out screens. Here is a screen capture of one.
[Thumb - pd13 blanked out.jpg]
 Filename
pd13 blanked out.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
211 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
76 time(s)
~Tom~
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you Carl for looking at this. Having a slow CPU could explain it. I never knew it was a slow one, used to seem okay.

I have shadow files turned off, because as I recall a few generations ago it seemed the chatter in the forum was that shadow files were very undesirable and should be switched off. I do not recall the reason why.

My system has no issues at all with MT2S, or AVI, or MP4 files, even in mixed use. It has always been very fast to use while editing. Only the MOV files are the devil. Slow to import into PowerDirector, even. A MOV file will just slow everything down now, right from the point of importing it.

One other thought I had today. Not too long ago, a week maybe two, AMD sent me an e-mail telling me an updated driver was available and I should update. Being programmed for many years now that "you should always install the latest drivers" I did as I was programmed to do and I updated it. I am beginning to think this might be part of the cause of my issues.

Anyway, I have spent two days and umpty ump hours editing a 3 minute video. During the process I got a few of these blanked out screens. Here is a screen capture of one.

I see you are having the many times talked about Powerdirector blanking out the interface.

Nobody has found a complete cure, but there is an easy way to get the interface back.
Past your mouse pointer over the upper right where the minimize, restore down and Exit is supposed to be,
When you can see the minimize "-", click it. Then on your task bar click the PowerDirector icon (Restore PowerDirector). That should restore the interface to normal. It is a quick Click, Click.

Since you are having trouble with MOV files, have you updated your QuickTime player?
Current version is 7.7.6

https://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kmot
[Post New]
Thanks Carl. I had the previous version of QT so I installed the latest, and it made no difference.

I then decided to uninstall all AMD drivers. I then installed back the AMD drivers from two versions ago, dated April 2014. That seems to have made some improvement. I was able to load three different file formats including a MOV file from some older videos I shot, and everything worked smoothly. No freeze ups and no syncing problems.

But the strange thing is the video I completed the other day, from three formats including one MOV file, will still hang up when I load from my saved projects. ~Tom~
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Tom -

Maybe try emptying your temp files in preferences & media cache at C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\MediaCache

Then try opening that project from the other day.

Hopefully what you've done with the GPU driver will help make your MOV editing smoother.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Kmot
[Post New]
Thanks Tony for checking it. I did what you suggested and then tried that file again, same issue. It could be that the particular file is corrupted or something. Not sure yet. Will have to try some 'new' MOV files instead of old ones and see how it goes. ~Tom~
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
A bit late in the game for this perhaps, but as not all MOV files are created equal, and some may balk, you might first try a conversion. One alternative.

http://handbrake.fr
Kmot
[Post New]
Thank you borgus 1, I am downloading now. ~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
The conversion by Handbrake is quite good! In fact it may even look slightly better!

Thanks again borgus 1.
[Thumb - Handbrake SxS.jpg]
 Filename
Handbrake SxS.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
329 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
61 time(s)
~Tom~