Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Possible to fill LG Ultrawide 21:9 monitor with a 2.40:1 Aspect BluRay?
tool1970 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2015 22:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Jimm98y HOLY COW your program fixed the problem. Nero blu ray does the same thing without your fix. Why won't these companies patch this in????

tool1970@gmail.com

these forums suck really bad. old software or something, can't even reply.
[Post New]
Thanks a lot for your great work! Very much appreciated

I tried your tool and it doesnt really work for me unfortunately.

3440x1440px 21:9 Acer X34
PowerDVD15

The issue: Doesnt crop vertical black bars.

I ended up with VLC Player and the famous tool which starts with Any.... There I can easily crop out the black bars and the result is perfect.

Even though I understand why this problem exists technically I am somewhat disappointed by PowerDVD as I thought 21:9 isnt too new and niche.

In the end the effort is totally worth it - amazing experience watching my BRs in 21:9!

I hope it becomes more famous at some point...
---
PowerDVD 18 Ultra and Acer X34 21:9 3440x1440px Monitor
tool1970 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2015 22:17 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Worked before but now I have a big black bar on the bottom. I mean seriously????? I guess nobody buys ultrawides. Please Help!!!!! I purchase blu rays but now i am thinking about going back to pirating. their stuff works. I just paid 50 bucks to cyberlink for powerdvd and now your fix does now work anymore. Any ideas?????
[Post New]
Market share for ultrawide screen is on par with 4k screens. So there is no reason to threat ultrawide different to 4k screens in terms of user experience.

But cyberlink indeed cannot do much about this black bar issue due to BR copyright restrictions. These black bars are encoded into the source material.

So yes: to get the proper experience out of 21:9 screens you need to go the unofficial way. ---
PowerDVD 18 Ultra and Acer X34 21:9 3440x1440px Monitor
fatmonkee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2016 11:28 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Has anybody figured out how to fix the overcropping/black bar at the bottom issue with the "PowerDVDLoader.exe" workaround? I've had zero luck so far and couldn't figure out how to tweak the source code if my life depended on it. Somewhat surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be much information about how to watch blu-rays on ultrawide monitors, let alone using Cyberlink PowerDVD. Anyways, here are my specs below. if somebody could shed some light, it'd be appeciated.

• PowedDVD 15

• Windows 10 Pro

• BenQ XR3501 (2560x1080, 144 Hz)

• Nvidia GTX 970

• Intel Core i7 6700k

Hugo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2016 12:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Google for Leawo Blu-Ray Player, its free an you can zoom in. Internetconnection is needed.
Hugo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2016 12:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Um auch nocheinmal ein Wort an die Cyberlink zu richten. Ihr habt es echt geschafft mich davon abzubringen Blu-Rays auf dem PC zu genießen. Ich habe viele Versionen eures Players gekauft und hatte damit ständig ärger. Und das aller schlimmste hierbei ist eure ewige nerverrei mit Werbung etc.
Ich bin sehr froh darüber das es mittlerweile gute gratis Lösungen gibt.
Wäre eure Software etwas professioneller gewesen (was bei dem Preis durchaus gerechtfertigt gewesen wäre) so hätte ich sehr gerne Cyberlink weiter genutzt und auch gerne dafür bezahlt. Aber mit so einer Werbeschleuder:Nein Danke!
MGecko33 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 10, 2016 12:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Currently, playing Star Wars bluray looks like this:

Notice the black borders on top an bottom as well as those on the sides. Also in bluray playback mode there is no zoom button no matter which type of decoding is selected (software/hardware).
Stretch to fit the screen option stretches the picture horizontally, but it keeps black bars on top and bottom (and deforms the picture so the movie is not watchable in such mode).
Zoom button is present for MKV playback, but so far the only way to play bluray movies on 21:9 screen without the black borders I know about is to rip the bluray to MKV and remove black borders in the process, then play the MKV.
Is the missing Zoom button in bluray playback a bug?

I'm getting this black border too. Quite annoying. Did you figure out how to get rid of it?
영구 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2016 10:44 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I had a problem with 21:9 4k monitor with pdvdloader.
But When I execute spy++ (from Visual Studio package) bottom black bar disappeared.
Muhammad Kashif [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 25, 2016 13:39 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Jimmy98y,

I was wondering if you could kindly please help me with this issue.

I used your software to try to see the bluray movies in full screen mode on PowerDVD 16 ultra, but it does not work fully. There is a black bar in the lower part of the screen. I tried to change the resolution to 2560 x 1080p but it did not work either. I am using Asus X34 monitor with 3440 x 1440p resolution. I was wondering if you could edit your program to support that resolution. I really appreciate your help with this matter.

Best regards,

Khan
Doug [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2015 17:52 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just wanted to say thank you to Jimm98y for this utility that now allows me to use my LG 2560x1080 monitor for the very reason I originally purchased it, to watch movies in their original aspect ratio. I also want to send my condolences to the users that have screens at a higher resolution than 2560x1080 that are having issues using this utility. Jimm98y who is obviously a gifted programmer has not revisited this thread in over a year. My hope is that another programmer will take Jimmy's source code and improve upon it.

To Cyberlink, I understand that your hands are tied by legality issues that prevent you from correcting this problem, but I was told that your software displays perfectly on ultrawide screens. I am returning my recent purchase of PDVD 16 because you never replied to my inquiry about this after purchase just as you never responded about the same issue after my PDVD 14 purchase. IDK if you are trying to avoid the issue altogether or if your product support just sucks, but I have no need for a newer version of software that still doesn't so what I want it to do.

The fact that the movie industry hard codes black bars into BD movies just to get them to display easily onto 16:9 screens and also supports legislation that prevents these black bars from being removed is yet another reason I don't condone anyone from stealing movies. This type of dysfunction is just a symptom of an industry that only cares about putting the consumers dollars into their overstuffed pockets.
Mergatroid [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 16, 2016 02:00 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am very disappointed.

I just paid my money for PowerDVD 16 Ultra and it's not very ultra. I have the most awesome monitor available, an ultra widescreen 21 x 9 ratio, and the movies don't fill the monitor. I am considering getting my money back with this 30-day gaurentee.

I don't care about industry legalities, a company that makes software for viewing blu-rays should have been able to find a way around this by now.

I used the app made by a fellow user, and it does work. However, I keep getting a black box on the left side of the screen, and I have to toggle between full screen and window to get rid of it, but it comes back in a few minutes.

Just talking about an issue like this makes me think of the state of computers 20 years ago around the Windows 95 days, in the early days of video on computers when you would never know if the software is going to work or not.

This is the 21st century, correct? I just can't believe a problem like this can happen in this day and age, especially when there are other players out there that have found a way around this issue. I can't believe I just payed so much money for software that is crippled, not to mention almost a grand for my monitor.

I mean, %$#&*^%$#, I have been supporting blu-ray ever since it hit the market. I own over 400 blu-rays, and another 500 DVDs. I have paid this industry well over $5000 just supporting their stupid format, and this is how I get repaid for not pirating and doing things the legal way.

Well, I know about XBMC (Kodi). I know I can get movies to work properly using that software. Where is my incentive to continue to support this greedy industry? I pay way too much for blu-rays, I get movies last on blu-ray because all other formats seem to be more important these days, yet I pay the most at $25 and up in Canada for a new blu-ray movie, and this is how I get paid back.

Needless to say I am pretty pi$$ed right now. Cyberlink should be ashamed to try and call their software the #1 blu-ray software when it will not even display the correct aspect ratio. Cyberlink should have approached the blu-ray consortium (or whomever is responsible for taking our money), and worked something oput with them for removing the black bars. It's to everyone's advantage. Advantage Consortium who gets more 21 x 9 owners to purchase blu-rays, advantage Cyberlink that more 21 x 9 owners will purchase their software, and of cours, last and least apparently, the unwashed masses who happen to own the best monitor for displaying movies actually being able to display the movies as they were intended.

I'm sorry to rant on about this, but I am quite upset at spending money on something that doesn't work properly. How about putting "NOTE, THIS SOFTWARE DOES NOT WORK PLAYING 21 x 9 MEDIA FROM BLU-RAY" right in the front page and description so people will know not to waste their time and money???????

I think I'm going to start saving myself a lot of money and just stop purchasing blu-rays. Obviously they don't think their customer's are important enough to make sure these things work, so I really don't see the point of purchasing their product.

I will now just start watching movies on Kodi, screw the movie industry.

And just so people know that I'm not BSing when I say I have been supporting this industry:

the cabnets in the basement.

Why should I support this industry when they won't support us?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2019 02:03

Sir Long Stroke [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 20, 2016 00:20 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same issue. If there still is no fix for this issue I will get refund. Cyberlink drop the ball on this one.
admobadmo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 25, 2017 12:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I know it's been a year since the last post, but this is something I've been working on since I just purchased a 3440x1440 monitor about two weeks ago. The little utility posted near the beginning of the thread works pretty well for me (PowerDVD 13), however I seem to get a brief glitch at chapter changes. So after some more poking around I came up with this alternative, which is not bound to any particular player, but has it's own compromises. Using the built-in Windows 10 magnifier found in the Ease of Access settings you can just zoom the whole window to a larger size. The compromise is that you can't zoom the movie dimensions to fit the screen exactly (at least I couldn't figure out a way to do it easily). So you can zoom it in to almost fill the screen, with black bars all around, just smaller; or over-zoom it, which will fill the screen but cut-off the very edges of the movie.

You also have to be careful not to move your mouse to the edges while using it, as it will then move the movie off-center.

But still, it's built in to Windows so it will work with anything.