Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
My computer techie very concerned over PD's CPU usage
TexasCityDave#1
Newbie Location: Southeast TX Joined: Aug 08, 2011 22:58 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/19699.page

try this... WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT [SP1]
ASUS P8P67LE MB
Intel Ci7 2600K 3.40 Ghz
2X 8GB 1600Mhz Dual BL
2X EVGA GTX460 1GB SC
120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
2X 1TB WD10000 SRTL Caviar Black
PD 9 Ultra 64
LG-12X Blu-Ray
Cameras: Canon 7D, Canon HF S21
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/19699.page

try this...

You're right, Dave - That works too. I think we got this linking to page issue licked at least! :

RB
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
I believe the real issue behind the question is whether a cpu running at 100% will be "damaged" (shorter life, less reliable, more errors etc etc) more than one running at 50% (for example).

My understanding is that there are 3 things that are of much more critical importance :-
1. Temp
2. Voltage
3. Quality of build (How well the chip was made)

I don't believe that cpu loading is as important (- unlike SSDs which may (do) have a limited read/write performance.) For overclocking purposes voltage and temperature are linked. Build quality is .........??? probably reflected in price but maybe let's not go there.

However, increased cpu loading generally increases temp but, if effective cooling is available, such temp increases will not stray outside performance parameters. Poor cooling will allow temp increases, sometimes to the point at which the internal sensors shut down the cpu/system to avoid damage.

Using a software system monitor (such as from cpuid) will allow users to monitor operating parameters of CPUs, HDDs, etc.

However, my understanding is that many software monitors should be used as comparators only, rather than as exact quantitative monitors. There seems to be much debate about what the sensors actually measure/read. Therefore, monitoring parameters at low usage and at high usage gives a comparative performance reading that can be used as a benchmark rather than a definitive guide to actual temperatures etc.

Rather than become concerned with CPU usage, I would concentrate on becoming familiar with the "normal" system parameters and then monitor these more critical parameters in different or exceptional circumstances.

For me 100% CPU loading is an inconvenience, as it effects multitasking, rather than a cause for concern.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
There's a free program that you can download called "Speccy" from Piriform.com. Among other things, It reports the temperature of your CPU, Graphics Card and Motherboard. Beginning last month, my graphics card temperature would reach the yellow (caution) range while rendering video during the DVD pre-burn process. The Motherboard and CPU temperature would get close to yellow range.

After doing a bit of research, I came across a blog post that described how dust builds up on the circuitry due to the fans circulating air through the machine. This thin layer of dust acts as a blanket which reduces the circuit boards ability to efficiently radiate away heat.

I removed the case, unplugged the PC and used a can of compressed air to blow dust off the circuit boards, fans and heat sink. It worked like a charm because the computer temps now stay well within normal range no matter what the load. This computer is less than two years old and I don't live in a dusty/dirty house or environment. So it would seem that any free standing PC is subject to dust build-up and needs to have it removed from time to time. We have an older DELL computer that would simply shut-down after a couple of hours. I gave it the same treatment last week and it now runs much quieter and without doing an auto shut-down.

As vn800rider pointed out, High Temperature is indeed a huge enemy to modern P.C.'s. Just a little TLC can make them run smoother, quieter and longer.
-Allen

Anicka [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 24, 2019 08:03 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Does PowerDitector throttle CPU usage to prevent adversely affecting the performance of the average PC as repored by the OP in this thread?

My problem is that video producing fails to utilise available system resources:

https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/79472.page#326617

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 08. 2019 08:17

My current video-editing workstation spec. (10 June 2019):

* CPUs: 96 Intel Xeon P-8175M (3.1 GHz turbo)
* GPU: 8 NVIDIA Tesla M60 - driver v25.21.14.2531
* RAM: 512GB
* SSDs: 256GB 500MB/s (C - OS), 512GB 500MB/s (D - Data)
* OS: Windows Server 2019 (Datacentre Edition) v10.0.17763
* PowerDirector v17.3.2721.0 (365)