Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best settings for VHS to DVD
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I remember a post wherein someone said they used thus-and-such settings and got very good results, but I can't find it now.

What settings and magic would you recommend for going from VHS to DVD? I've done a couple, and I think they could have come out better. Jerry Schwartz
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
DVD disks are MPEG2 in a VOB container. Bit rate is about 8 Mbps.

So the best format is MPEG2 HQ video files.
PD9 calls the format DVD HQ on the MPEG-2 selection in the produce module.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2011 11:33

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks, Carl.

I also remember somebody saying that they used a particular tool or tools to clean things up. Jerry Schwartz
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
best way to find a lot of info on this is to use the "search" function on top of forum (left most word), click on it, select PD9 forum, use search words "VHS capture".

It will point to numerous discussions on hardware to use, alternate programs to clean up video, all about time-based-correctors (sharpens edge and image quality) found in many svhs decks that will also play vhs tapes, captures cards etc.

way too much to just post link to.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2011 23:26

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
jerrys
[Post New]
Let me put it another way:

I'd like to hear what "fixit" tools in the PD9 toolkit people have found effective, and how have they applied them?

I have no trouble getting the video into PD, it's how best to clean it up that I'm after.

I didn't find anything like that in my searches. There was a lot of talk about the mechanics of the transfer, but not about the kinds of processing that worked best. Jerry Schwartz