Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Split or Trim - What is Your Preference
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Everyone,
I have PD6 Build 1731b

I am currently working on a project where I am cutting a video clip into 25-30 frame segments and then mixing them up to create a photo type album but using video instead of still images.

Now, the question is, what is the best and easiest method of achieving this?

1) using the Split function.....or
2) using the Trim/ Multi trim function

I am tending to favour the Split function as there appears to be better control over the frame count, whereas with MultiTrim I seem to get lost with mark ins and mark outs, but I could do with some advice on this, if anyone has tried this type of project, was it successful and what method was used.
Because of the number of clips that will be generated, I will be making separate files of up to 300 clips each, then bringing them all together to create one video.

Thats another question, is there a limit on the number of clips that can be used in each file.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

I'll jump in and answer the posting - I've never thought about a limitation. I've imported loads of images into the time-line and chatting to another member today he has imported over 200 images in one drop and PD coped. As for video clips... I don't think you'll have a problem...you may have 300 or so

My preference is to use the "Split" option. I find it the easiest and the quickest... I'm all in favour of speed and getting tasks done quickly.

I've attached a new method of providing information, a zipped project file (pds) which can be viewed in your own PD6 set up (hopefully). Please provide some feedback on this "first tried here" method to relay info this way.

Dafydd
 Filename
splitclip.zip
[Disk]
 Description
The pds should run from any location.
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
30 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 02. 2007 16:03

Kintara [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bristol, England, UK Joined: Aug 29, 2007 15:43 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
I have often wondered if there is a limit to the number of clips. I have had about 1000 jpg's and avi's in the library and maybe over 300 used in a timeline. It has not caused any problems.

Kintara

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2007 10:08

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.