Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing .mts and .mt2s Files - Trial Version - won't recognize these files....
markhaas42 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 08, 2011 13:09 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I am a long-time Pinnace user but I recently downloaded PowerDirector 9 and love it, with one exception so far. Some of my videos are .mts and .mt2s. They are saved on an external hard drive. When I "import media files", these file extensions are not on the list of file types it is looking for. I have been through the forum and I feel sure PD 9 is compatible with these files, but why won't it let me import them? Is it a trial version issue? Any help would be appreciated. I like the software and don't want to go back to Pinaacle over this issue.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Powerdirector 9 trial

Limitations
0. Watermark at the beginning of produced videos (5 seconds)
0. 30-day working trial
0. An encoding limit of 50 iPod/PSP files (follows AAC's trial guidelines)
0. SmartSound Library trial version
0. 2 DVD menu templates
0. 9 title templates
0. 5 background templates
0. 4 particle effect templates
0. 7 PiP effect templates
0. 4 Magic Movie style templates
0. 3 slideshow style templates
0. Does not include the PhotoNow! program
0. Does not include the WaveEditor program

Nothing said about not supporting MTS or M2TS video files
There are some cases of mts or m2ts files not being encoded correctly.

these file extensions are not on the list of file types it is looking for

Choose All Files. Then try importing.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

markhaas42 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the input. Before I posted this, I did change it to "All Files" and tried importing. I didn't get an error message, and it seemed to work, but the imported file still does not appear with the other media that was already imported.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the input. Before I posted this, I did change it to "All Files" and tried importing. I didn't get an error message, and it seemed to work, but the imported file still does not appear with the other media that was already imported.

It should appear in the library with the other files, if you used Import Media. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

markhaas42 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I couldn't agree more........but it doesn't. Very frustrating.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
HD video is only supported in the Ultra edition, but I can't say for sure it is excluded from the trial version. Seems to me it would be good to allow prospective buyers to try out the HD options. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I believe the trial is fully functioning.

mts and m2ts are supported in PD9. The question then is, what are these files you cant import? Please can you attach a small clip, we're after anything around 5 to 10 seconds? the aim is for editors to download and test on their systems - to give a definitive answer for you and to try and locate the problem.

Please can you also attach a diagnostic file? See: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page Part B
This will help editors check out the suitability of your system and see if there may be another cause for the problem - it's important we see the data please.

Scew [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 20, 2011 03:38 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem. Files from my JVC GZ-HM655BE are invisible to PowerDirector.

I can open the .mts files in all other editing software that I can find, but in PowerDirector nothing happens when I try to open them. No error message, nothing. And no file appear in the Media Room or on the timeline.

I have attached a short movie clip to this post.
 Filename
00094.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
mts movie sample
 Filesize
31356 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
643 time(s)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scew,

I don’t have a solution to your issue, but can only report that your file opened fine, and edited correctly, on both my XP and i7 computers.

Nice couch!

(Edit: Do you have PD9 Deluxe, or PD9 Ultra?)

Media Info readout attached.

Filename
00094 Scew (Media info).txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
560 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Aug 20. 2011 05:17

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Works fine on my Win7 64bit Phenom X6 system.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Scew [Avatar]
[Post New]
I use the 64 bit trial version, it doesn't really say if it is Ultra or Deluxe so I don't know...

I'm running it on a Windows Server 2008 R2 system - is that a problem?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Scew & Markhaas -

Just to confirm what Adrian & Cranston found. No problem importing Scew's .mts clip into PD9 Ultra.

Scew - I'm no expert on how servers function, but it doesn't appear to me to be the cause of the issue since other software imports the files on the same system.

So - you go to Import, navigate to the file location and PD doesn't even see the things??? Have you tried dragging and dropping directly onto the Media Library interface?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Scew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Server 2008 R2 has the same code base as Windows 7 (x64) so there shouldn't be any problem. And since the files open OK in other editing programs I assume that the OS is OK.

I have tried to drag and drop the file to the Media Room, and I have tried to use the menu action Import Media and the behavior is the same. Nothing happens. Or rather - I can see that there is a "loading file" popup with a progress bar, but it closes too quickly for me to see what it actually says. So obviously it tries to load the file. Then...nothing.

Another interesting fact: If I in Preferences clear the check box "Enable HD video processing", I get a Information popup window saying that "PowerDirector detected that you are importing high definition video". So clearly PowerDirector knows what I'm trying to import, but when the progress bar reaches 100%, nothing shows up...

I don't know if it is a clue, but I see exactly the same behavior with .mp4 files.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Just between me & you, Scew - I'd be giving it the flick & reinstalling. Completely uninstall it to remove registry entries (I use Revo).

There's no reason at all why your trial version should be behaving like that.

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Scew [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried a reinstall with cleared registry, but the problems remain.

I ran a deep monitoring of PowerDirector while importing my file - maybe someone with knowledge of the inner workings can make something out of this...

1. A new thread is started to handle the file import.
2. The file information is queried from the file system (the file itself is not read)
3. The thread searches the registry to find the keys HDCriterion_ResY, HDCriterion_ResX and Auto Testing. the keys are searched in HKCU\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0, HKLM\Software\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0 and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0. None of the keys are found.
4. The thread stops. (Well, I get no "Thread Exit" message, but there are no more thread activity logged)

And...as I mentioned - the file content is never read.
Carl312
[Post New]
Scew,

I have Powerdirector 9 Ultra 64 installed on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I did a search of your keys HDCriterion_ResY, HDCriterion_ResX and Auto Testing, none of those are found anywhere in my registry, I searched for Keys, Value and Data.

I have no problem loading and editing MTS or M2TS or TS videos.

I have a Canon HD camera that produces MTS video files. No problem ever.

I have a feeling that your problem is related to Windows Server 2008 R2 system.
If have another computer with Windows 7 or Windows XP, I would try that computer.

One question, do you have Quicktime installed? Quicktime is necessary for Powerdirector to work correctly.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Pradipto [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 26, 2011 08:40 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All
I too face the same problem with .mts import from JVC GZ HD650. Tried installing trial version on two computers one with XP and other with Vista to see how Power Director 9 deals with with HD videos. Personally love Power Director line of products but this is where my decision on buying basically hinges.
Hope to see a solution I could try on the trial version or some understanding on what causes this so that dont have to look at any other products.
Cheers
Pradipto
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Pradipto
1. Transfer your video files onto your Hard Disk Drive (HDD) to a new folder.
2. Open the folder onto your screen/desktop. You should see them, yes? Reduce the size of the directory display - click the icon between - and X, top right of the folder.
2. Open PD9
3. Open the folder it should appear above the PD9 display.
4. Move the folder (small size so it can be moved around the desktop) to the right side.
5. highlight the mts files and click'n'drag them/or one to the Library room in PD9.

Sorry to write it simplistically but I wanted to cover all actions.

Scew [Avatar]
[Post New]
Some feedback: This problem is restricted to the trial version only!! I have purchased the full version, and when I do exactly the same thing in the full version, it works.

When I drag-drop the .mts file to the Library Room in PD9, I now get two "Activate Component" popup screens for H.264 and MPEG2. I did not get those popups in the trial version so I guess those components weren't shipped with the trial. And that is probably the reason to why the .mts files didn't work...

Maybe that should be a part of the Limitations list for the trial...
Philx123 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Jan 21, 2012 12:34 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I'm getting the same problem with the PD10 trial. Won't see Mt2 files. I want to see how well it performs compared to PD9, but only work with MT2. files. Really bad decision, as I've already had problems getting it to start. I'm certainly not going to buy it until I know it performs better that PD9, but have know way of knowing.
Poor decision in my book.