Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I repeatedly alternate two images?
Mitch Nelson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 31, 2011 05:14 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to repeatedly alternate two images. I've made each image a single particle that doesn't move. I've timed them so that each image spends one minute on and one minute off. I've timed it so that one image begins at the 0 minute mark and the other image begins at the 1 minute mark. And they alternate! For about four minutes. And then they synchronize. And they stay synchronized.

I can speed the alternating images to one second each, and they stay alternating for about 10 minutes before synchronizing. I've gone into the XML file to make sure the particles are precisely timed.

Can anyone think of a better method?

If you're nerdy, here is the XML file:
The time units are in milliseconds, so 1000 = 1 second, 60000 = 1 minute, etc. Speeding it up to one-second phases makes it easier to quickly identify whether the images are alternating correctly, but then you may want to slow it down to one-minute phases so that you can find out more quickly whether they fall into sync (in about 4 minutes as opposed to 10). The EmitInterval attribute is odd. I thought both particles' EmitInterval values would need to be double their Life values so that they were on half the time and off half the time, but no. If the EmitIntervals are the same, they are in sync. Also, BeginTime is weird. It appears that the second particle's BeginTime value can be anything between 1 and whatever the first particle's Life value is and the result will be the same.

Any ideas?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Why would you mess with xml files? I've been doing this for 10 years, there is no EDITING reason to ever mess with xml program files.
I'm not even sure what you're doing. Are you using images or particles, you mention both.
To alternate images, place them in the timeline or timelines ALTERNATELY.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 05. 2011 07:56

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe a screen-shot of your timeline would be helpful, I believe you are over-thinking this. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Mitch Nelson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry about the terminology, I called particles images because they're just PNG images.

I can put the image images on the timeline, but I need the images to alternate endlessly, because this is for a 24-hour live stream via YouCam. But I don't see how to make the timeline go on an infinite loop. Is there a way to do that?

(UPDATE) Replying to your second message, I didn't have a timeline before, I was just creating an effect for YouCam. Sorry I forgot to mention that, that was important.

Also, XML is meant to be readable and editable. That's why it's a simple text file that anyone can read, not some compiled, proprietary file. It's as easy to read and edit as HTML, and as a web designer, I have experience with HTML and XML. It's not a program, and you're not going to hurt any programs. PowerDirector is essentially a very polished interface for making some simple XML text (though there's often a lot of filler of default/unset/zero values, plus there's no line breaks or indents, so it's hard to read at first). I like to understand how things work, so I like to look at the XML files. Plus, it's part of my job to look at XML, so I'm used to it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 05. 2011 08:39

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
OK then, XML is beyond my bucketO'knowledge.
I don't know if there is a limit to the PD timeline. Good question.
All I can suggest is to place your images in sequence, then copy and paste back into the timeline.
When you have a lengthy series of images, copy and paste THEM so you are exponentially increasing the amount of images you are pasting. This probably occured to you, and also perhaps I am not getting your requirement quite right.
There are a number of Sr. Editors here with extensive programming experience, I'm a bit surprised nobody chimed in yet. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Mitch Nelson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your help! But I do hope someone has a solution that doesn't involve a timeline that lasts for days.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mitch -

I'm about as handy with XML files as Barry, but I'm sure I'd have the alternating particle images project completed a dozen times over before this discussion is finished.

I think I see what you're trying to do. Maybe, after you find a solution, you could sit me down somewhere & show me how it all works.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Are you trying to stream directly from PD?
Maybe no one else is helping because they're not quite getting what you are up to.
You mentioned Youcam. Can you lay out in not-too-tech terms? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
At first I thought you were trying to make something for a website,
the sort of thing we see all the time and for the most part are .swf files (?).
Several small apps out there for those things.
But then you mention YouCam, so I had to do a little search. (Don't know the app)
You want "particles"/objects=png's falling/blowing/ascending in front of the
(web)cam-lens non stop ?
So what format does YC want?
I would assume YouCam had that option for you to make inside the app ?
No ?
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Mitch Nelson [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't want the particles moving at all, which is easy to accomplish. But I want one particle "on" half the time, then the other particle on half the time. PowerDirector is the program that makes these YouCam effects, so that's what I'm using. (YouCam is CyberLink's webcam streaming/effects software).
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Basically; a loop.....?
I have never even tried to make a loop in PD,
so I havn't a clue if it's possible.
If I needed a video-loop going for a long time, I guess I would
look around for small, possibly free, apps which are likely to give me flash files.

Also, "half the time"- within a minute? Hour? Day/night?

You might have possibilities in tweaking the XML file,
and that's where I will have to leave the subject-
and hope you'll succeed.
Please give us a feedback if you do!

Just something.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Mitch -

I probably should have read ALL that you wrote before shooting off my "mouth". I wasn't thinking of an infinite loop - just a series of alternating images (particles) for a set period of time.

I can now see you're trying to accomplish something more complex than the way I interpreted it. My apologies.

I'd still be interested to learn what you work out with the XML files.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mitch,

I too wanted to chime in to say that… I don’t nothin’ ‘bout birthing no XML files.
[There are few here old enough to “get” that ]

But having played around quite a bit with modifying particles in PD9, within Particle Designer, I think what you are trying to accomplish is going to be a bit challenging.
To test your intended outcome, the best I was able to come up with (so far), was having image #1 as a stationary background, and then having image #2 be a particle in full screen, that displays as it passes over the background in a type of scroll situation. And then as image #2 leaves the screen, it reveals the background image again. This, in a continued loop, somewhat assimilates what you are trying to accomplish (i.e. displaying 2 re-appearing images in a loop)
The main problem so far, is that at the the end of each segment, it all fades to black for a second or two, before it cycles again.

So, I too would appreciate if you could provide a follow up post, as your attempts progress, or your goal is achieved.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I'd like to see the result, too, it would be educational. Still, I'd like to see an XML-pert put in his/her 2 cents. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
The xml script is pretty easy to understand but I don't think altering anything is needed in this instance. Just use the editor, far far easier.

Edit: In the past I have created Particles, inserted and altered XML script.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2011 07:53

1Nina
[Post New]
Well, I'm here again .....

Cranston; as usual- you try to find solutions!
You said:

The main problem so far, is that at the the end of each segment, it all fades to black for a second or two,
before it cycles again.

Yes, each segment.
So I'm kinda wondering for how long Mitch wants this running,
-what to produce to....
so not to end up with a rather heavy file ?
Just something.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The xml script is pretty easy to understand but I don't think altering anything is needed in this instance. Just use the editor, far far easier.

Edit: In the past I have created Particles, inserted and altered XML script.

Dafydd,

Could you please post and example of the far far easier method of creating alternating static images as a Particle effect that will loop, at the intervals that Mitch describes? And the steps necessary to accomplish it?
There is so little posted here in the forum about modifying or creating Particles, so if you could provide an example of executing Mitch's proposed scenario, that would be great.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Looking at this again. It probably does involve xml for a short loop rather than a particle repeat on a video.

I wont write up a "how to" on what script to change etc for an xml. Not an area I want to delve into at the moment.
1Nina
[Post New]
Dafydd, I feel I don't understand what you are saying here
in regards to Mitch' question.

Are you saying:
- make a short video ( not particles, but images, by the way) (this is PD9's involvement?)
- in addition you will have to have MediaShow
- set your webcam in the position so monitor is "filmed"
- play the video in MS, set to loop (and it will come trough in YouCam?)

Somehow I don't think something like this, if my reading is correct, is something
Mitch had in mind.
In the past I added script to an xml to increase the type of images/same image which appeared.

Would you be able to tweak the XML-file to what he's asking?

Just something.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nina, I deleted that post.

It wasn't right to me either.

Tweak the xml - yeah, so can you or anyone else. You have to work it out of course, just like I would have to.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 06. 2011 11:47