Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Alpha Channel in PNG - Problem During Transition - Dark Gray
IntegratedConsultants [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 02, 2011 17:04 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I inserted a PNG with an alpha channel (transparent area), and it looks great until I apply a transition. The transparent part of the image turns dark gray.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to correct it?

Thanks!
[Thumb - Problem.png]
 Filename
Problem.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
248 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
179 time(s)
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
I think one solution would be to produce that portion of the project that contains the alpha channel, then insert it back into the project and do the respective transitions that you need.
[Post New]
Thanks for assisting.

I believe I have narrowed down the problem.

PowerDirector has trouble with transparencies in combination with Transitions. I'm attaching another example.

In this case, PowerDirector wants to 'outline' any object that has alpha/transparencies around it. Here I apply a heart mask which looks great... until you apply a Transition.

Now all of a sudden, the heart has an ugly gray outline to it. See? I've been strugling with a workaround using Chromas, PNG files, masks etc. ALL of these methods produce the same problem.

Does anyone know a workaround? Is this a bug? Limitation?

Thanks!!
[Thumb - Problem2.png]
 Filename
Problem2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
372 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
174 time(s)
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi IntegratedConsultants,

I had the same problem with previous builds of PD9. But since installing the latest 2930 update patch, it seems to have cured the outlining and fade graying, to transparent PNGs. (For me anyway)

If you’ve already installed the 2930 patch, and the problem persists, you might try to save or convert your transparent PNGs to GIF.
Earlier builds of PD9 seemed to handle the GIF transparency much better, with much less outlining and graying. But now with the 2930 update installed, I’m back to using PNG transparencies exclusively.

The 2930 patch is available here.
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

(Note: This was never an issue at all in PD8 or earlier versions.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2011 04:16

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Can you attach a screen shot of your edit room? I made that area into a transparent png and applied a transition and it worked fine. Maybe I'm doing it differently than you. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
To Cranston: Thanks for the help. I'm on 2930, but now I have found that this is at least two separate issues (one I solved). If I run into more issues, I will try GIF.

I will post my other findings soon.

To Jaime-esque: Thank you too for the help. I am attaching a simple movie I made that illustrates the Mask issue. I hope all the files are there to make it work!

Don't spend too much time on it since I found a solution which I will post soon.
[Thumb - PD-Test 1920x1080a.png]
 Filename
PD-Test 1920x1080a.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
8 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
143 time(s)
 Filename
PD-Test 1920x1080.pds
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
481 time(s)
[Thumb - PD-Test 1920x1080b.png]
 Filename
PD-Test 1920x1080b.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
145 time(s)
[Post New]
OK, here is what I found so far...

I made another test file using PNG with alpha/transparency (see attached) and it does what I want... however my main file still has the gray outline issues (weird), so I will continue to work on that.

In the meantime, here is what I found:

When the 'Preview in the Media Viewer' is set to 'HD Preview Resolution', I see the ugly gray outline.

When the 'Preview in the Media Viewer' is set to 'FULL HD Preview Resolution', I DON'T see the ugly gray outline!

The silly thing is that no matter what view you use, it produces the final video just fine!

Anyhow, I'm going to get to the bottom of why my main project is having issues. Stay tuned...
[Thumb - PD-Test (Alpha)1920x1080a.png]
 Filename
PD-Test (Alpha)1920x1080a.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
186 time(s)
 Filename
PD-Test (Alpha)1920x1080.pds
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
393 time(s)
[Thumb - PD-Test (Alpha)1920x1080b.png]
 Filename
PD-Test (Alpha)1920x1080b.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
179 time(s)
[Post New]
OK... Here are my final observations.

My original PNG had a special alpha shadow component to it. If I take that out, all is well. I'm not sure how to describe it other than PowerDirector needs absolute 100% transparent areas.

I'm attaching my original buggy artwork so you can see what I mean about the gray areas.

The good news is that I solved the issues. Thanks for the help everyone!

PS: I'm also attaching the final video for everyone to enjoy the cool flame effect (LOL)!
 Filename
PD-Transition.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2927 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
456 time(s)
 Filename
PD-Test (Alpha2)1920x1080.zip
[Disk]
 Description