Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 Preferences Import and Export Folder?
rcalzadilla [Avatar]
Member Location: South Florida Joined: Apr 13, 2011 18:55 Messages: 107 Offline
[Post New]
Are these acceptable Preference directory locations?

File>Import folder: C:\Users\Raul\Videos\
and
File>Export folder: C:\Users\Raul\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\

I just want to be sure after this reinstall of Windows 7 Prof and 5th reinstall PD9.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2011 17:29

EVGA (132-BL-E758-TR) X58 ATX
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 285, 1GB
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
Canon Vixia HF S21 (AVCHD)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Completely acceptable!

... and, of course, these are just default locations. Individual projects/produced files etc can be exported anywhere you prefer.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks for the peace of mind. EVGA (132-BL-E758-TR) X58 ATX
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
It would be AWESOME if PD could keep track of export folders for different projects. I don't think Windows works that way, though. We all work multiple projects, right? How many times has a Granny-crop found herself in with the bachelor party project? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I think Powerdirector should keep the import and export folder locations in the project file.

That way every time you load a project file, you have the correct import and export folders for use. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl,
the import folders could be anything, I think we all gather "nuts-n-berries" from stock sources all over our hard-drives, but for each project we usually have a single export folder. But is this even possible? Let's not give Cyberlink an impossible task that Bill Gates says we cannot do!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2011 17:26

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Let's not give Cyberlink an impossible task that Bill Gates says we cannot do!

There have been relative paths in DOS days, why not the ability to use relative paths in Windows?

If you remember the DOS days, you could have a path of "." or ".." without quotes.

"." is the current folder, ".." is one level back toward the root. That still works in the command window for Windows 7 64-bit.

I will agree the Import folder is not as important as the Export folder, but there is no reason that path can not be stored in the Project file. If you store the location of your videos, why not the path of your output.

We know the video location is stored in the project file, because if you move or remove a video, the next time you open the project PD wants to know where that video went to.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
PD11. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: It would be AWESOME if PD could keep track of export folders for different projects. I don't think Windows works that way, though. We all work multiple projects, right? How many times has a Granny-crop found herself in with the bachelor party project?

Oh my! Before this PD9 reinstall this very problem was driving me crazy. One project now had the right images but the wrong name followed by the right name.
I really don't have a handle on Directories/Root folders and how they work so I was really confused and didn't turn to the forum thinking I couldn't explain it well enough.
tks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2011 09:00

Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
Could you look at my Directory tree and tell if the .PDS file in the Library is the Project file?

I was looking for a file named Project.
Also I remember seeing an AutoSave file which I don't see now.

tks
[Thumb - Looking for Project file.JPG]
 Filename
Looking for Project file.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
My Directory Tree
 Filesize
104 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
414 time(s)
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
[Post New]
Yes, this is a PDR project file (extension PDS)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Carl, I am unfamiliar with DOS days, I never jumped into computers as deep as I should have.
You seem to be inclined to believe the task of import/export CAN be better, maybe Dafydd could create an item#.
It would be an excellent feature.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2011 10:34

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]

Carl said.... I think Powerdirector should keep the import and export folder locations in the project file.

I absolutely disagree with that......

I do not keep my import or export folders on my "C" drive and never have. I never keep any of my data on my C drive and have never had any problems with any software doing so. My import folder is just D:\ which takes me to my D drive and I go from there, and my export is D:\Cyberlink Stuff. Where everything goes.

However you can put your projects all or separate anywhere you want by export and pack project. Then everything you use is in that folder in one place. No need to go hunt anything. A packed folder for each project any drive you want, directory and folder name you want. I use the pack feature to archive my finished projects mostly. If you use a Packed folder you will no longer get the "where is the pic I am looking for" window when you load a project if you have moved anything around. You can also burn the pack folder on a disc and retrieve it from there.

No need for relative paths DOS instructions.

AUTOSAVE folder contains your automatically saved pds files from the set auto save duration you have.

This is just the amount of time you select for an automatic auto save and you can select the default folder location.

[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1186 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jun 16. 2011 12:09

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
The point is that the last export location you use may not be the one you want next. If that can be overcome, GREAT. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
You can solve that by just going to recent files and selecting your project from there. I do not have load last project set as default. I do not always go into my last project when I start PD.

BUT here is what I would like to see when you hit the file button. Your recent files showing at the bottom....

[Thumb - recent files.png]
 Filename
recent files.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
261 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1434 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jun 16. 2011 13:46

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Carl312
[Post New]
Barry wrote,
Carl, I am unfamiliar with DOS days, I never jumped into computers as deep as I should have.
You seem to be inclined to believe the task of import/export CAN be better, maybe Dafydd could create an item#.
It would be an excellent feature.

I think some of the editors, thought I meant to only have the Export and Import folder in the project file, not so.

It would be nice if when you opened a project from the past, the export path would still be in the project file.

My all means, we need to be able to set the paths in the preferences, but once you have been using the export path for rendering, wouldn't is be nice if you can open that project and have the export folder right there ready to use. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is great information for me as I am so weak in directory knowledge!

This is the folder where my Auto Save(d) goes presently (This address was created automatically for me by PD9):

C:\Users\Raul\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\AutoSave\

With speed in mind, isn't this address too long?

For my illumination, so if I create a file/address, as per example: "C:\Cyberlink stuff\Auto Backup Folder\ My BBQ video\"
My BBQ video" being my present project work, will not my video project work go faster as it is a shorter address?

I have my Auto save project set for every 4 minutes.

When I am working on a project does PD9 work with what is Auto saved or is it working with the saved Project at the .PDS file in my Library.......?

I hope I not working myself into a circle that will get no answers here!javascript:emoticon('');

Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
In essence, short file paths make more sense. In real life, I think you'd be scratching to find ANY difference in speed/efficiency between the default file path for AutoSaves C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\AutoSave and the one you've proposed.

There is no project file (.pds) in your library (if you mean Media Library). My understanding is that the auto-saved projects are back-up copies of your project at a particular time. PD continues to work with the project you opened.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2011 15:53

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
The Autosave is a place where "ghost copies" of your open PDS go to die. For instance you are working on a project, maybe 10 minutes, you have done a lot of work, when suddenly the "unexpected" crash occurs.
You now want to re-open your project but realize you never named it, or have not saved it for a long period, no recent backup. Whatever is a poor editor to do?
You go to the Autosave folder, which is holding copies of your project PDS files! I have mine set to autosave every 3 minutes. It's also useful if you have a corrupt PDS, perhaps the "ghost" PDS will still open.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jun 16. 2011 17:28

rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
I try to remember, every time I start a project, to File>Save Project As....since the PD9 User Guide advises to.
Then beyond that, I click the little floppy icon every time I remember as I go.
Now I know that my project is also being Auto Save(d) every 3-4 min.

The File>Recent Files is a fantastic answer for me.

Thank you, thank you all! EVGA (132-BL-E758-TR) X58 ATX
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.