Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 365 22.0.2126.0 Not playing video in Preview Window
bakeller74 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 22, 2023 21:30 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
With the new update I am no longer able to just hit play and have the project play in the Preview Window. The PlayHead never moves. I can play videos indivually when clicking on them in the media tab. Am I missing a new way to preview my clips or is it a glitch? Thanks very much.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi bakeller74 -

No such issues here with PDR 365 22.0.2126.0.

Projects play through as expected... even on a very old PC sporting an i7-920 surprised

You don't, perhaps, have a clip selected in the timeline do you? If that were the case, only that clip/section would play.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2023 03:16

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote With the new update I am no longer able to just hit play and have the project play in the Preview Window. The PlayHead never moves. I can play videos indivually when clicking on them in the media tab. Am I missing a new way to preview my clips or is it a glitch? Thanks very much.

If a clip is selected and has played to the end, further play action will not advance the playhead. This occurs even if pref > Editing > "Switch to movie mode automatically..." is selected in your pref. This is different than prior PD21 version. This automatic switch does not appear to function correctly or like it used to, at least for me.

This post may help with a workaround: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/119427.page#post_box_449826

If you apply this hack: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/119517.page#450240 then the previous PD21 scrubber behavior should work and pref > Editing > "Switch to movie mode automatically..." appears to work again for this selected clip and playhead at the end issue with play advancing.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2023 07:41

bakeller74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

If a clip is selected and has played to the end, further play action will not advance the playhead. This occurs even if pref > Editing > "Switch to movie mode automatically..." is selected in your pref. This is different than prior PD21 version. This automatic switch does not appear to function correctly or like it used to, at least for me.

This post may help with a workaround: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/119427.page#post_box_449826

If you apply this hack: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/119517.page#450240 then the previous PD21 scrubber behavior should work and pref > Editing > "Switch to movie mode automatically..." appears to work again for this selected clip and playhead at the end issue with play advancing.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I tried the hack, but the problem is even if i have a clip selected and hit play, the playhead returns to the beginning of the project and doesn't play. It is very strange.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Jeff,

I tried the hack, but the problem is even if i have a clip selected and hit play, the playhead returns to the beginning of the project and doesn't play. It is very strange.

Maybe attach a pic of your time for some clues or to try and replicate. Have the captured pic with play head location and clips selected that triggers the play head to the beginning of the project when space bar for playback is used.

Jeff
bakeller74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Maybe attach a pic of your time for some clues or to try and replicate. Have the captured pic with play head location and clips selected that triggers the play head to the beginning of the project when space bar for playback is used.

Jeff

Here is a picture with the clip selected and then one showing after I click play.
[Thumb - hitplay.png]
 Filename
hitplay.png
[Disk]
 Description
pressed play
 Filesize
339 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
26 time(s)
[Thumb - cliphighlighted.png]
 Filename
cliphighlighted.png
[Disk]
 Description
clip selected
 Filesize
343 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
23 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2023 01:31

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Here is a picture with the clip selected and then one showing after I click play.

Only guess I have is something unique with your IMG_8116 content, the after click play pic obviously shows you are in play mode in the preview window, just no play or play head advance. I've not seen this behavior prior, does it exist with say a timeline of the PD sample clips?

Jeff
Shehbaz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 10, 2023 08:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Nice I really like your post
bakeller74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Only guess I have is something unique with your IMG_8116 content, the after click play pic obviously shows you are in play mode in the preview window, just no play or play head advance. I've not seen this behavior prior, does it exist with say a timeline of the PD sample clips?

Jeff

Good Idea. I tried a sample Clip and get the same issue.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Good Idea. I tried a sample Clip and get the same issue.

Strange indeed that the sample clips don't even play. Might try the whole uninstall/reinstall loop to see if that resolves anything.

Might also try selecting and/or unselecting pref > Hardware Acceleration and the decode option there. One often has to exit PD after change and relaunch or change doesn't take place internally. Just the GUI changes but not the real behavior which can be misleading.

Jeff
NZee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2019 17:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote With the new update I am no longer able to just hit play and have the project play in the Preview Window. The PlayHead never moves. I can play videos indivually when clicking on them in the media tab. Am I missing a new way to preview my clips or is it a glitch? Thanks very much.

I am having the same issue. Updated yesterday. Media files play fine in the preview windows, both my videos and stock files. As soon as I drop any of them into the time line, playhead jumps to the beginning and stops. No sound, no video, and no movement of playhead.

I've tried removing checks in hardware acceleration | uninstall/reinstall PD | rebooting computer. Nothing...

Is there a way to go back to a previous version of the software? I'm out of work with a deadline looming.
bakeller74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I am having the same issue. Updated yesterday. Media files play fine in the preview windows, both my videos and stock files. As soon as I drop any of them into the time line, playhead jumps to the beginning and stops. No sound, no video, and no movement of playhead.

I've tried removing checks in hardware acceleration | uninstall/reinstall PD | rebooting computer. Nothing...

Is there a way to go back to a previous version of the software? I'm out of work with a deadline looming.

I have had no success yet. I submitted a ticket with customer service, if they can't resolve I'm switching software.
bakeller74 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I have had no success yet. I submitted a ticket with customer service, if they can't resolve I'm switching software.

I was able to resolve my issue. My laptop has two video cards in it. The built in card was disabled. Since the new update, Power Director is looking at my disabled card. I enabled it and it now works.
James2023 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 20, 2023 16:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

Hi,

I had the same issue. I found that changing the preview setting from Standard 2D Preview to Auto Detect 3D Mode worked.
[Thumb - Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 21.40.31.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 21.40.31.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
35 time(s)
[Thumb - Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 21.46.01.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 21.46.01.png