Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating a Copyright-Protected DVD
JonnyPC [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 31, 2016 12:06 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
It's been a while since I've used PowerDirector & just upgraded to the latest. My boss wants to know if I can make copyright-protected DVDs. I searched the forum & PD help files but most people are posting about how to get around protection If I understand correctly, the strongest protection is CSS, which I believe is usually applied by a replicator. So, are there any mechanisms in PD 365 to protect a DVD from being copied? Or am I right that I'd need to look elsewhere for CSS? (And if you're wondering why I'm trying to make a DVD in the first place, well, my boss is old school. What can I say?). Thanks!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It's been a while since I've used PowerDirector & just upgraded to the latest. My boss wants to know if I can make copyright-protected DVDs. I searched the forum & PD help files but most people are posting about how to get around protection If I understand correctly, the strongest protection is CSS, which I believe is usually applied by a replicator. So, are there any mechanisms in PD 365 to protect a DVD from being copied? Or am I right that I'd need to look elsewhere for CSS? (And if you're wondering why I'm trying to make a DVD in the first place, well, my boss is old school. What can I say?). Thanks!

Correct, PD offers no encryption capability.

I hope your boss also has deep pockets, if you want CSS, you'd have to look for a DVD replicator firm and add CSS in the glass mastering stage. The DVD's need to be stamped, not laser burned.

Jeff
[Post New]
https://www.dvdsmith.com/dvd-copy-protection-types.html

Some of the keys are stored on the lead-in area of the disk, which is generally only read by compliant drives. Keys can be passed from a DVD drive to a descrambler over a PC bus using a secure handshake protocol.
You can't write there with a normal drive and recordable DVD blanks.