Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 365 hangs when launching
Punster [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2019 20:02 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've go the latest version of Windows 10 with all the updates. It was working at one time. I had not used it for about a month and when I went to launch it just comes up with the splash screen and hangs. I can click on it and get the "not responding" message and am able to close it.

Using Nvidia RTX 2060 with the latest drivers
Gigabyte Aurus Ultra gaming MB with AMD Ryzen 9 5950 with 64 gb of memory

The only errors I can find in event viewer is:

The program PDR.exe version 21.5.3106.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 6da8
Start Time: 01d9b8d8de0ceedc
Termination Time: 15
Application Path: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector21\PDR.exe
Report Id: 6bdab16a-dcc5-4675-8442-4633ba2cf4ac
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Unknown

followed a few minutes later by:

Faulting application name: AppManager.exe, version: 4.2.3002.0, time stamp: 0x64795fb4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.3155, time stamp: 0x2daa62a8
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x000e6d63
Faulting process id: 0x273c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9b8d57d55c81e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\AppManager\AppManager.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 1635ca27-5366-41d9-b901-5a1631ca621d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I tried an uninstall reinstall several times with the same results. I tried it with antivirus and firewall disabled with the same results. I even did an uninstall of all cyberlink programs followed by editign my registry and removing any references to cyberlink and rich video. I moved or renamed to folders to make sure there was nothing that would link to it. Restarted and reinstalled. Brings up the options to load or start new project then just hangs on the splash screen..
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've go the latest version of Windows 10 with all the updates. It was working at one time. I had not used it for about a month and when I went to launch it just comes up with the splash screen and hangs. I can click on it and get the "not responding" message and am able to close it.

Using Nvidia RTX 2060 with the latest drivers
Gigabyte Aurus Ultra gaming MB with AMD Ryzen 9 5950 with 64 gb of memory

Hi,

Can you give the exact version of PDR you are using?
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85748.page#post_box_354918

and also your current DxDiag, which may also hold clues. Please send it as an attachment, rather than plain text.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85748.page#post_box_354916

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
number1punster [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2021 13:03 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

Hi,

Can you give the exact version of PDR you are using?
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85748.page#post_box_354918

and also your current DxDiag, which may also hold clues. Please send it as an attachment, rather than plain text.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85748.page#post_box_354916

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Not sure why it had me change my username but here's the answers. PDR never loads so I can't get the version number from it but when checking PDR.exe I get 21.5.3106.0 as the version.

I've also included a screenshot of it loading...It never gets passed this. Thanks in advance
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dxdiag file
 Filesize
139 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
86 time(s)
[Thumb - PDR_Splach.JPG]
 Filename
PDR_Splach.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
This is where it hangs
 Filesize
164 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't see anything obvious in the DxDiag results, other than that all the Windows Error Reports at the end are empty even though you've had app hangs.

Maybe try the two commands in this post and see if that resolves the issue.

nVidia released a new driver today but I don't think that's the cause of your issue
number1punster [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I don't see anything obvious in the DxDiag results, other than that all the Windows Error Reports at the end are empty even though you've had app hangs.

Maybe try the two commands in this post and see if that resolves the issue.

nVidia released a new driver today but I don't think that's the cause of your issue

I'm running the sfc /scannnow though I'm pretty sure I've done it before. Also, I did a re install of windows 10 where it would repair the installation and keep my current files and apps. No joy there. I also uninstalled and reinstalled it after that with the same results. I'll also try the new driver...Pretty sure it's not going to help.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

I'm running the sfc /scannnow though I'm pretty sure I've done it before. Also, I did a re install of windows 10 where it would repair the installation and keep my current files and apps. No joy there. I also uninstalled and reinstalled it after that with the same results. I'll also try the new driver...Pretty sure it's not going to help.

Hi,
Just out of interest, can you get PDR running in Safe mode?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
number1punster [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,
Just out of interest, can you get PDR running in Safe mode?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Good question.....Nope...I hadn't thought of that but thought for sure that it should. Hung just the same. I've built PC's and am in the tech business and this is the only piece of software that's stymied me. Is there a way to debug it as it's loading?
number1punster [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is really weird. I reinstalled powedirector 16 and it hangs as well. Usually if it were an error with the different libraries it would error out. This just hangs. I've let it run all night and just clicked on it and ended it at the not responding prompt
billb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 25, 2023 18:51 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]

Good question.....Nope...I hadn't thought of that but thought for sure that it should. Hung just the same. I've built PC's and am in the tech business and this is the only piece of software that's stymied me. Is there a way to debug it as it's loading?

This might be a long shot, but I would try uninstalling PD using Revo Uninstaller (free edition, or Pro if you have it already) and reinstalling normally. Revo does a good job at removing leftovers the windows uninstaller can miss in case there's some leftover settings or something that's causing the issue. I worked as a technician in a PC repair shop "in my previous life" and occasionally this would help resolve problems. Good luck!
Punster [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 03, 2019 20:02 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

This might be a long shot, but I would try uninstalling PD using Revo Uninstaller (free edition, or Pro if you have it already) and reinstalling normally. Revo does a good job at removing leftovers the windows uninstaller can miss in case there's some leftover settings or something that's causing the issue. I worked as a technician in a PC repair shop "in my previous life" and occasionally this would help resolve problems. Good luck!

I could give it a try. However I manually went through the registry and removed all references to it along with moving and renaming the folders in the Windows Directory. I think Acronis has an uninstaller as well. Just to make sure that it wasn't something specific to my system I've tried all my other graphics programs and they run fine. Nero, Paint Shop Pro...

Do you know if there are any bios settings that may affect this?
billb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 25, 2023 18:51 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Do you know if there are any bios settings that may affect this?

I wouldn't think so -- I can't remember any specific times when I had to change a bios setting to resolve this type of problem. But things have changed these days with the more advanced settings available on gaming MBs and whatnot. It seems unlikely.

I have the same GPU (2060) in my laptop and I'm currently on driver v526.98.