Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Need help removing pops/clicks
billb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 25, 2023 18:51 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I record a lot of footage using a GoPro on a small flexible tripod and if I even slightly move one of the legs it generates a popping/clicking sound (not sure if this is the correct term). I've played with various features in AudioDirector but can't figure out an easy way to remove the unwanted sounds. What is the proper way to do this in AudioDirector?

I've attached a sample video clip for example. This one has unwanted "clicks" starting around 8 seconds and 15 seconds.
 Filename
GH013791.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
117277 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
51 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2023 14:40

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for supplying the video clip. You could try a helmet or chest mount for the GoPro to stop that clicking. You may also want to use a solid handheld tripod that doesn’t click. The clicking volume is very low. The audio volume is all in the green. Most users will just fill the video with music and/or their dialog post production.

The low level audio volume recording on a GoPro makes it difficult for any software to distinguish between wanted and unwanted sound. You could increase the audio volume to max Produce it and then be able to use the noise reduction filters on it Produce the audio again at the desired low volume.

Had different results using each of the restore tools in ad9. Manual fixing the clicks can be time consuming. See the attached video.

Someone who uses AD365 may know how to do it with the AI tools which is what you want. You may want to contact CyberLink Support for their knowledge to fix this.
 Filename
230715 click removal.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Clicks removed from the audio.
 Filesize
16249 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
50 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I agree with tomasc, and personally I'd mix in some fun music to mask the clicks if I wanted to have the original audio. Otherwise I'd mute the audio or completely replace it with music.

If you want to keep the original audio, it would help to have another clip with things you'd like to keep, like voices or natural sounds.

Even wothout doing that, you can try the Visual Repair tool on your end as shown in this screenshot:

I used the Time frequency selection button to get rid of most of the mid-range sound, and while that greatly masked the clicks, it would likely also remove the kinds of sounds you're hoping to keep. Different tools work in different ways
 Filename
GH013791.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
edited sound
 Filesize
123326 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 16. 2023 18:01

billb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 25, 2023 18:51 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll play with those options a bit -- haven't done much with the Visual Repair tool yet.

In this particular clip, I'll either pull some audio from another clip with cleaner sound and use that instead, or incorporate music in that section. Back when I was using just iMovie on my phone I've done this quite a lot to cover up audio issues. I had imagined AD would "magically" fix it with AI tools... It has helped immensely in removing wind noise on my first PD project.

Definitely switching to a solid handheld tripod for the GoPro and can just use straps when I need to mount it to a tree limb or something.

Thanks again for the assistance.