Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Left Right Popups on a Video
otown [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 27, 2011 10:00 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have over 100, 20-25 second video clips I would like to have popped up on the screen alternating between left and right. So the first will fade in on the left and start. Toward the end the second will fade in on the right and begin playing when the first is done. Then the first will fade out and the third fade in. And so on.
I will show an ongoing video in the background. I know how to do chroma key but not the alternating popups. I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
I have Powerdirector 18.
thx
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can give a link to an example video to show users here what you want.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 17. 2023 22:32

otown [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can give a link to an example video to show users here what you want.

Unfortunately I dont have an example to give.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The quick and dirty way is to use transitions. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi,
I have over 100, 20-25 second video clips I would like to have popped up on the screen alternating between left and right. So the first will fade in on the left and start. Toward the end the second will fade in on the right and begin playing when the first is done. Then the first will fade out and the third fade in. And so on.
I will show an ongoing video in the background. I know how to do chroma key but not the alternating popups. I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
I have Powerdirector 18.
thx

See if the attached pds using PD18 sample files is at all what you are describing and maybe gives you some ideas. It's unclear to me if you want your left and right alternating clips to fade in and take up full screen or just stay scaled on left or right side. The sample pds has both.

Jeff
 Filename
Alternate.pds
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
442 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
212 time(s)
otown [Avatar]
[Post New]

See if the attached pds using PD18 sample files is at all what you are describing and maybe gives you some ideas. It's unclear to me if you want your left and right alternating clips to fade in and take up full screen or just stay scaled on left or right side. The sample pds has both.

Jeff

Thats what I'm looking for. A great start. Thx
otown [Avatar]
[Post New]
The videos that will popup left and right are landcape and the middle third is what needs to be displayed. I've tried several of the provided masks. Theres one mask with a small midlle part but its not wide enough. Can this mask be modifed? I've tried with no luck. Or should I start build my mask from scratch?
thx

Hey, I did figure it out. Now my problem is I cant save the mask or PIP with a video. Can I get around this?
thx

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 27. 2023 07:44

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
No. You can save a modified mask but not with a video.
otown [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote No. You can save a modified mask but not with a video.

I have a hundred of these to do. Is there a work around? How about a later version of PD?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
No version of PD will do that. Your best bet is to make multiple copies of the first set of of finished pop-ups, then drag new clips onto each one from the media room and use the Replace option.

That will keep all the existing editing and formatting intact while replacing the original content with the that from each new clip, altough you may need to manually adjust the duration (and keyframe timing) if any are different from your "master" copy.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 27. 2023 14:12

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

I have a hundred of these to do. Is there a work around? How about a later version of PD?

Hi,
It is possible to build a custom mask outside of PDR, and have it appear in the mask selection as a "custom" mask, if that would be helpful. It would then be available in all projects like any other mask.

The process seems a little complex at first sight but isn't in practise, but you have to stick to some rules. Here's a very quick example to illustrate.

If you think it's helpful I can write up the method, if not no worries.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - Left Right Mask.png]
 Filename
Left Right Mask.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
437 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 29. 2023 05:05

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
otown [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, thatnks for the post. I did try a custom mask but as I'm using video clips, not photos, I can't save the masks as custom. Correct me if I'm wrong.
thx
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
PDM's screenshot clearly shows they're working with a video. Again, you have to create the mask using a 3rd party app like Paint or GIMP or Paint.net and then import it as a custom mask to use it in PD
otown [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, now I see. thx