Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
TEXT ONLY MENUS
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
How to create a Text only Menu without thumbnails?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nicolas

I assuming you mean the DVD menu structure.

Unfortunately in PD8 you cannot create a text only menu structure.

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
I assuming you mean the DVD menu structure. Yes thats right. …Unfortunately in PD8 you cannot create a text only menu structure. v … Come on, that a very simple software programming task. So why Cyberlink can add it?... Do we have to throw PowerDirector away? Or it has some political reason?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27. 2010 01:15

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

This function was available in PD5 and I found it very useful.

However the last few versions have not had that ability.

As this is only a forum and not Cyberlink support you could try and ask the technical support team about including it in an update.

Good Luck Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

NicolasNY
[Post New]
Surely the Cyberlink technicians are awaiting the comments of the forum. Is worth a thousand words of the forum that a simple comment to technical support
NicolasNY
[Post New]
The suggestions are part of the techinical support forum. The administrator or moderator of the forum knows when to pass important information about a specific software. Anyway, I already sent a ticket .. but let's see who answers first. If the people of this forum or cyberlink technical staff.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Nicolas,
Select Forum Index and you'll see a heading:
This is a forum for CyberLink members to discuss and share their users' experience. CyberLink customer support will not reply in the forum regarding the technical issues. Topics or replies with attacking or illegal messages will be deleted by the forum management directly.

While I will pick up on issues and mention different subjects to CyberLink, the one thing I wont do is repeatedly mention already raised points. CyberLink are aware of the menu issues but for PD8, that's it. CyberLink are unlikely to change the way PD8 is currently presented.

The forum was changed over the last few days and certain features still have to be corrected including Search.

I'm sure Beta testers of any future products of PD will look close and hard at specific features they'd liked improved, including the menus.

As the heading indicates, this forum is NOT monitored by Admin or Tech Support. I monitor it though. For Tech Support, please contact: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

This is a "user" led forum where editors help each other and are thanked for answering.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27. 2010 05:45

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]

Now if I could search the forum...ahem I could go digging for a solution that I remember reading..way back in time. It seems that some clever individual came up with an idea to get the thumbnail images not to be visible. But the thumbnails were still there...just not visible. Thumbnails reduced in size and covered with text maybe...?

And I can't for the life of me remember how it was accomplished!

Now if I could just do a search........

Let's hope the search function returns shortly and I will get my shovel out and dig for that solution. Does anyone else vaguely remember that solution?...or remember reading it? Or is my age showing its ugly head again?

Regards,

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 27. 2010 07:28

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
NicolasNY
[Post New]
Dafydd,
I just post to technical support a recommendation. Sorry about. It will not happened again.

Kevin,
I think that the most important about creating a text only menu is the Time and Mbytes saving compared to the high cost of video thumbnailed menus. Hiding the thumbnail with more buttons or text is worst.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Kevin,
I think that the most important about creating a text only menu is the Time and Mbytes saving compared to the high cost of video thumbnailed menus. Hiding the thumbnail with more buttons or text is worst.

You asked for a menu without thumbnails...It doesn't exist in PD8. I was attempting to provide you a potential work-a-round solution to accomplish your request. I am aware of the increased file size if the thumbnails are still present in the menu.

This was your specific question:

This was the answer you received from Neil:
Unfortunately in PD8 you cannot create a text only menu structure.

My answer ...well it wasn't really an answer...but if you wanted a menu without thumbnails, someone had previously written a solution which I was attempting to share with you. And now you are concerned about file size? What do you really want? Power Director 8 is not going to change at this point.

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
NicolasNY
[Post New]
I figured out. Yes you can still make Text only menus:

Open MENU DESIGNER (Create Disk/Menu Preferences/Create Menu). Starting from scratch, the main menu (root) is always in text only. The problem was in the chapters menu, where PD always starts with one thumb nailed BUTTON with the corresponding text ITEM and every new button that you add, always is a thumbnail BUTTON with a text ITEM.

Solution:

That’s why the “Display the selected object only” checkmark in the objects properties is for :

Select only the “My Video” title, the ITEM’s and the Navigation buttons (exclude the thumb nailed BUTTON’s) and check “Display the selected object only”... save it and ready, you have a Text Only chapters menu done.
[Post New]
Oops, as pointed out the above thread is not talking about Text only PD Menus, but Director's Zone. But this is what I figured out about Text only PD Menus, encase your search lands you here.

Resolution (Not):
I can show you how to hide your Buttons, but unless you only want 4 text items on the screen it may not help at least not for high definition. After I followed my own instructions below and the preview looked good, I clicked Burn and got this error: grrrrr

"One of the menu pages contains more buttons than is allowed. The maximum number of buttons a page can have within high resolution is 4."

I tried Burning it as just a DVD, but got a xvidcore.dll not found error and then an out of memory error. Once I reverted back to a regular menu the xvidcore error went away.

Even though I have hid the buttons on the screen, PD still produces the video for the buttons, which it assumes is too much to put on a single menu and even though we can't see the Buttons, may be too much of a drag when played.

1) Modify your Menu.
2) Edit: Titles/Chapters Menus
3) Select just the Button by itself and grab the right corner handle, just shrink it until it disappears.
4) Repeat for each Button.
5) Add more Buttons, click in an open spot so the Button and Item is unselected, then select just the Button and repeat above.
6) Line the Items up is probably the hardest part, but turn on grids and TV Safe Zone.
7) if you line up 7 items on left fairly close to what you want, select Align Left and it will at least make them line up vertically. Getting even spacing between isn't an item, but hopefully they will add that in the future. This will greatly reduce the number of menus people have to click through.
Turn on 2x2 Grid, then you could add 7 more buttons, repeat and align to center grid vertical line.
9) You can add up to 14 buttons total. I was shooting for 16, but after 14 the +Button icon was grayed out.
10) If you got this far you wasted your time as PD won't let you burn it.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Oct 01. 2010 14:12

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Velocity Micro
Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
RAM 6GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS v258.96
ViewSonic VX2255wm-4 dual extended display
K-Lite 32bit & 64bit
1680x1050
Windows 7 Basic background no Aero
Hitachi 400gb system dr
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The menu that Cap'n Kevin is refering to is on the Director's Zone, and named KISS.

It is not actually a Text menu, but you can hide the thumbnails.

The problem I found with that menu, is the same error that KenR found.

"One of the menu pages contains more buttons than is allowed. The maximum number of buttons a page can have within high resolution is 4."

I also saw the error about overlapping buttons on the thumbnails. Which is hard to solve because you can't see the thumbnails.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 01. 2010 10:12

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BLP1954 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 05, 2010 07:42 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I too have issues with thumbnail menus in PD8, however I have found a possible solution.

Backup up!!!!

Having made a copy of a suitable menu in menu designer I have then manually edited the menu as follows.

Each menu is stored in its own folder. Having found the folder, navigate to the "Layer Template" folder. Open the file "std_LayerTemplate.xml" in Notepad or Wordpad, and delete the section relating to the picture in picture track

e.g. <PIP TrackID="1" Editable="TRUE" Name=".\LayerTemplate1\normal_baby.jpg" Name_HQ=".\LayerTemplate1\normal_baby.jpg" Mask=".\LayerTemplate1\UserMask.png" Mask_HQ=".\LayerTemplate1\UserMask.png" Script=".\LayerTemplate1\PiP(0).cpt" BeginTime="0.000000" Duration="1.000000" StretchMode="CROP" />

There may be two of these entries.

Save the file and then re-open PD8 and apply the menu.

This solution is not perfect, because it has a few side effects, not least because background music on the menu does not play. I have even tried creating the menu background as a video clip with the required sound and this doesn't work either.

I'm guessing that the "fix" prevents PD8 from creating the Picture-in-picture and it skips it.

No guarantees.