Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Intel 920 Overclocked to 4.0ghz 9 PIP Tracks with 1920x1080 m2ts @100% CPU usage! What's Wrong?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Please help

1. I have Power Director 8 Build 2704.
2. I use 1920x1080 m2ts video.
3. I have the main Timeline with one m2ts 30 second video clip.
4. I have added NO effects, titles or effects....just on PLAYBACK ONLY
5. I have enabled ALL 9 PIP tracks and placed a m2ts clips ranging from 10 seconds to 30 seconds in duration.
My CPU usage hits 100%!!

Here are my results with playback only as I add each additional PIP track to the equation:

Please see screen shot!!

1 clip : 1% CPU usage
1 clip, plus 1 PIP track: 10% CPU usage
2 PIP tracks 18%
3 28%
4 44%
5 57%
6 76%
7 97%
8 100%

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER!!!!

Please Help!!

Kevin

P.S. Actually I know there is nothing wrong with my PC, but trying to show other Power Director users how taxing High Definition footage is on a computer.
[Thumb - 100% CPU usage.JPG]
 Filename
100% CPU usage.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
270 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2010 16:51

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Should have got a nVidia card.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Please provide a diagnostic file, uninstall/reinstall and state the contents of the sample video used.

Just having fun with Kevin.

I know why you've posted the information and thank you.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 14. 2010 14:21

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
If anyone happens to read this post, this hopefully will illustrate how demanding playback only of multiple PIP tracks of High definition footage can be on hardware resources. I thought this might be of interest so see how each additional PIP track impacts the CPU.

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2010 14:32

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's the sunglasses effect I think may be causing the problem. Take them off when editing!

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Dafydd wrote:
Please provide a diagnostic file, uninstall/reinstall and state the contents of the sample video used.

the contents of my video files was simply "Rubbish!"

Should have got a nVidia card.

Yes, you are probably correct!
Just having fun with Kevin.

I know why you've posted the information and thank you.

You are most welcome! :

It's the sunglasses effect I think may be causing the problem.

What sunglasses? What was the question again?? I am over 50 you know...my memory isn't what it was yesterday!!
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Your computer is behaving exactly as it should. As you increase the number of video tracks the CPU usage will increase. Playing 10 HD videos at the same time will tax your system. I have an NVIDIA card and I've seen a decrease in CPU usage with hardware acceleration turned on.

Edit:

Here's some results

With my Q9300 and a 9500GT video card and hardware acceleration turned on I could run a video track and 3 PiP tracks with a CPU usage of 95%. Each of these videos were recorded at 1920x1080i 24 Mb/s. After adding a fourth PiP track my CPU usage was still about 95%, but the PiPs were choppy. Turning GPU acceleration off I found that I could only have Two PiPs and a master video track. With only a single video in the master track I found that GPU acceleration reduced my CPU usage by about 50%.

For all tests video preview was set to high.

I would say that my comparison shows the value of an i7 for HD editing with multiple PiPs.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 15. 2010 06:46

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good answer James, I hope all members understand the points being made here. The summary James has put together is an excellent explanation.

Everyone: Please note the test Kevin carried out to stress his PC, to see what he could and could not achieve on his PC. While he's posed the post in a manner many members write in a similar situation, he knew roughly what might happen as he added more PiP's etc. He's used a stress test I have proposed previously on the forum

To stress his system even more I have suggested to him to add video which is 1080p and 60fps with higher bit rate. The number of PiP's he could use will drop significantly.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
[Post New]
looking at my profile below, everybody will understand that I exactly know what is the point here

But James, did your GPU activation really show also differences in playback mode? That should be strange I think, because I thought PD only uses the GPU when rendering or using some special effects which were switched for using GPU.
Am I wrong?

Regards,
Tom

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 16. 2010 16:39

PC: Intel Core2Duo E8600 2,66 GHz, 4 GB RAM
GPU: NVidia GeForce 8500 with 512 MB Video RAM
PowerDirector Version 8 build 3022
Cam: Panasonic HDC-SD100
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
The latest patch added GPU acceleration to video playback in addition to the already existing acceleration for rendering. There is a separate tick box to check. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT