Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Capturing HD Video Format - produce regular dvd's?
A DAVID [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 02, 2010 22:51 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Just a quick question.

I have a HD Video Camera, but currently no blue-ray player or burner. I'd like to capture my videos as HD Videos but am curious if I will be confined to only producing Blue-Ray discs when my video project is complete? I basically want to save and store the highest quality video so that I can produce Blue-Ray at a later date, but in the meantime be able to use those same HD MPEG videos to burn regular dvd's for use in a standard dvd player.

When I finally produce my dvd project, choosing dvd as output (versus Blue-Ray), will PowerDirector 8 produce a playable dvd for me?

Thanks
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Just a quick question.

I have a HD Video Camera, but currently no blue-ray player or burner. I'd like to capture my videos as HD Videos but am curious if I will be confined to only producing Blue-Ray discs when my video project is complete? I basically want to save and store the highest quality video so that I can produce Blue-Ray at a later date, but in the meantime be able to use those same HD MPEG videos to burn regular dvd's for use in a standard dvd player.

When I finally produce my dvd project, choosing dvd as output (versus Blue-Ray), will PowerDirector 8 produce a playable dvd for me?

Thanks

Hi A David

This topic has been raised a few times before.

Basically if you want the full high definition experience you need the following:

A.
1. A full HD 1920 x 1080 LCD or plasma TV
2. A blu ray DVD player
3. A full HD 1920 x 1080 video camera set on the highest quality
4. A blu ray burner and blank blu ray discs (normal DVDs use 720 x 576).
5. A video editor like PD8 that can handle HD video files.

OR

B.
2. A full HD 1920 x 1080 video camera set on the highest quality
3. HDMI leads and view the camera through the TV.

OR

C.
2. A full HD 1920 x 1080 video camera set on the highest quality
3. A video editor like PD 8 that can handle HD video files AND can produce the project in a MPEG2 1920x1080
4. A Western Digital media player or similar to play the produced MPEG2 1920 x 1080 video files.

‘C’ is the configuration I use and store the rendered MPEG2 HD file on a mass storage device connected to the media player which in turn is connected to a full HD TV. The picture quality is absolutely fantastic.

Please see the link below:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735

Note: I have NO financial interest with Western Digital.

Let us know how you went.

Neil
Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

-Jim-
Member Location: West Coast of Canada - Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics! Joined: Mar 29, 2009 13:32 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I finally produce my dvd project, choosing dvd as output (versus Blue-Ray), will PowerDirector 8 produce a playable dvd for me?

Yes no problem at all. (I don't think the response above answered this question)

You can use you source files and generate many different outputs with varying quality levels. Regards,

Jim

Asus Z87-A Motherboard - O/C if needed to about 4.6 Ghz.
Intel i7 4770K CPU
16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
OCZ 448 Gig SSD (for OS and related Video Editing Programs)
1 TB, 1.5 TB, and 3 TB Data Drives - Slide in Drawers as needed.
LG's HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 Blu ray Burner
Samsung SH-S223F 16x DVD Burner
Gigabyte GTX 660Ti NVidia Geforce Graphics Card
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi A David,

I’m by no means an expert on burning DVDs like so many others here on the forum. But I would suggest the following may also be something to consider, for the situation you’ve described

Once you have completed editing your project the way you want it, Produce and/or Burn it to conform with the media burn/playback options that are currently available to you.
Then “Pack” your project, using the Pack Project Materials option.
Director’s Chair (icon) > File > Export > Pack Project Materials

In this way you preserve and archive the project. All of your assets that are in your timelines, (not the un-used leftovers in your library), and all of your edit commands, will now be stored in this Packed Project folder.
Then, at some later date, when you have upgraded your computer and acquired Blu-Ray capabilities, then open this Packed Project folder and double click on the .pds file. Your project will now open and load into your timelines, just as you left that project 2 or 3 months ago. And now you can Produce or Burn it again, but this time using different profiles that conform with your new burning and playback options.

See this thread for further info on packing a project.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9844.page
(there are many other posts if you use the forum’s “Search” tool.)

And for very important additional info on packing projects, start at this post and read the following three.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/10222.page#45216

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Apr 04. 2010 22:24

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Personally I like to produce to MPEG2 format first and then import that file into the timeline for final DVD authoring/burning. This separates the rendering process and burning process into two steps and if there is a problem I know where it went wrong. I've never had a problem following this, but others have had problems when they go straight to "Create Disk".

I also agree with Cranston in regards to packing your project. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Jeff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 10, 2010 23:06 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Personally I like to produce to MPEG2 format first and then import that file into the timeline for final DVD authoring/burning. This separates the rendering process and burning process into two steps and if there is a problem I know where it went wrong. .

Hello all,
I am new here to the forum and found this thread as close to the question I need to ask.

Q: What is happening with the resolution loss I experience from the 'create disk' function?

Some background info:
- I produce several MPEG2 files in 720 ( was same as captured in 720)
The MPEG files produced are excellent resolution, including PD text added, transitions, ect.

- MPG files are added to a NEW PD file in the "Create Disk>Content" import additional videos

- I build the DVD menu from several MPG files as well as slide shows also “produced” under the same formats

- Burning to DVD causes the final output to loose a great deal of resolution for both the DVD and for the support files option.

- Viewing the DVD on a PC or HD TV has same loss of resolution, image slide shows which are panning appear pixilated (moray effect). Videos appear slightly less clarity. All PD text gets blurry.

Speculation on settings for “interlaced/ non-interlaced”???

I have tried the method for inserting the MPEG files into the Timeline as chapters and still get the same poor output. (James instruction)

PC info:
Dell 8000 Studio XPS with i7 processor, 8 gig Ram , DVD Burner: (HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH50N ATA)

Please help!

Thanks
Jeff