Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How playing HD-DVD AND Blu-ray on the same PC ??
nicodep [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 22, 2007 18:47 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have on the same Pc the build in blu-ray player and then xbox360 HD-DVD player ... and when i install PwDVD ultra i have only the HD-DVD version !!

How can i play both formats on my PC ??

thk
J [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2007 13:21 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Presumably Cyberlink is working on a patch for PowerDVD 7.x Ultra to allow for both BD and HD DVD functionality. This is logical since hybrid combo BD and HD DVD drives will eventually be made available. Hopefully PowerDVD Ultra users will see this fix before these hybrid combo drives hit the market because if not it will be another OEM only PowerDVD 6.5 / 6.6 situation where you cannot get the software unless you buy it with a new drive.

Currently, AFAIK, the only way to achieve BD and HD DVD functionality is to use PowerDVD Ultra with another program such as WinDVD 8 HD Edition with one HD disc format for each application. For what its worth I think WinDVD 8 HD Edition (Japanese) is actually cheaper. There is also a ~$29 upgrade for BD / HD DVD support supposedly coming this quarter for current users of non-HD versions of WinDVD 8. So the total cost could be as low as ~$65 US for a WinDVD HD solution soon.

However, I have heard of a work around by some early adopters and beta testers involving the installation of PowerDVD Ultra twice (first time in the default directory, which is then moved) and some manual file registration within the OS. If I can find the link I can get back to you but I don’t know if Cyberlink support would appreciate such info being posted here.

Such an install would be unsupported obviously.
nicodep [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 22, 2007 18:47 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: However, I have heard of a work around by some early adopters and beta testers involving the installation of PowerDVD Ultra twice (first time in the default directory, which is then moved) and some manual file registration within the OS. If I can find the link I can get back to you but I don’t know if Cyberlink support would appreciate such info being posted here.

Thank for the explications !!

I've try to install 2x PWD in differents directory but nothing, maybe with manual file registration, if you have the link please send me to ndp@mageos.com

Thk a lot ...
Robert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2007 07:04 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD ultra 7.3 will let you play both. Support sent me a copy to fix an issue I had where powerDVD would not play anything because it said HDMI repeaters aren't permitted as I route my hdmi output through a yahama AV amp. The update to 7.3 fixed this and also has Blu-ray and HD-DVD tabs in the configuration menu

Be patient
Chris [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2007 20:36 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I can now say that PowerDVD 7.3 along with AnyDVD works great. Using the program alone would still give me 0103 errors due to an unknown HDCP problem, but when you fire up ANYDVD, it works great. I have successfully built a media center that has both drives and plays back both formats.