Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD8 / 2508: Subtitles not fixed to timeline ?
GW.G [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2010 07:39 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Subtitles will stay at their position, even if you edit the timeline, e.g. by rearranging clips. So they become meaningless and confusing, as they don't appear at the correct position, where they were meant to be.
How to fix subtitles to their respective positions in the clips ?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi GW.G -

I haven't used subtitles in PD8, and I'm not sure whether anything has changed since PD7... but if you have a look at Dafydd's tutorial at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tOBpDpruk it might give you some clues.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
GW.G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks !
However, that video describes the routine of generating subtitles only - which is evidently similar to the processes in PD8.
The submitted issue becomes relevant, when you cange the order of clips after that. The subtitles will not follow these changes !

(I'm trying to use subtitles as markers, and identifiers, within the structure of my video-project - which comprises a summary of 25 years of family videos and digitized Super 8 films...)

Further hints would be welcome!

Regards
GW.G
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
The issue was discussed here, but with no obvious solution http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9487.page

You could, of course, just cut & paste the subtitles that are out of whack.

I don't know of a way to link the subtitles with particular clips in PD. That doesn't mean there isn't one.

Whenever I'm assembling a project, I try to make sure the main video track is sequenced as I want before playing with PiPs, titles and music.

Don't worry - someone clever will come along soon...

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2010 04:12

GW.G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony, you're surely right, it would be best, to have things sorted properly at first.
But for the lots of materials I have, I was looking for a simple method for identifying clips.
The issue seems to be a real one, as things do work fine in some situations (subtitles are being shifted with the clip), but in some situations they do not. See example enclosed !

Regards
GW.G
[Thumb - PD8-ShiftingClips-SubtitlesIssue.jpg]
 Filename
PD8-ShiftingClips-SubtitlesIssue.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Shows subtitles issue...
 Filesize
64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
135 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Does the following answer your problem.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page#43359

Dafydd
ynotfish
[Post New]
Très bon monsieur. Réponse brillante!
GW.G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you, Dafydd. This really solves one issue with linking the subtitles !

However...., this method has one major disadvantage compared to the method that I have been using (i.e. clicking a clip and drop it elsewhere).
I want to rearrange clips exactly, to avoid '2-picture-leftover-clips', which will cause problems later on - as I already experienced...

So how to place the yellow 'split cursor' around the clip exactly, and - nevertheless - quickly ?

( No problem to get the left slider to the beginning of the clip, but the right slider then has to be placed by seeking the cut 'picture-by-picture', as it will not follow the blue cursor during 'jump'-operations, by using the 'search and jump' arrows from the menu... )

Regards
GW.G

P.S. I suppose, you will have expected that PD beginners find quick ways to new issues .... ;
Anyway - my first impression is, that this forum is really working and helpful !

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
The option I provided is the only one available.

You could delete the excess data which gets pasted or you could complete your edit of clips before adding subtitles.

You'll have to workaround your project and use the tools available.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

PS. Thank you for the forum comments.

Take a look here:
Have you seen this, please add your spec?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page
Please add your camera spec here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8727.page
Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2010 11:54

GW.G [Avatar]
[Post New]
O.k., Dafydd, I have to accept, because I'm just learing, what's available after all.

I was hoping to get it all ;

Thanks for the help !

Regards
GW.G
robes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2010 05:47 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'm feeling increasingly lost; the question seems a perfect fit to my woes yet the replies don't.

I have "Link all tracks when moving and removing content in the video track" ticked, and this works as expected for audio tracks, say, yet if I add a video track all my subsequent sub-titles get left-shifted by that amount. (when would that _ever_ make sense?)

After making the tiniest edit I need to re-arrange 200 sub-titles, please help! At very least i hope there is a way of quickly selecting all subtitles beyond a certain point (without tediously CTL-clicking each one)?

thanks a lot!

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
robes

I have found that sub-titles are a weak point in Power Director 8, maybe improve in PD9

If you wait to the last edit to add the subtitles, you get less stress, and PD does not mess with the subtitles. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

robes [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Carl for being so frank and ending my desperate search so quickly. Though your reply is borderline depressing! I’ve been telling all and sundry what a great tool PD is, how easy it is to use from the get go but will now have to eat humble pie in their presence as no money that I’ve saved on buying a good value edit suite is worth the amount of time I’ve already spent pushing subtitles around after minor video clipping.

I would have thought that subtitle management would have been a much higher priority than all the "auto" features which I consider very fancy but quite pointless in terms of making what you actually want. I do not use sub titles for translations but simple to clarify unclear speech or challenging accents. I put them in as they seem necessary; I don't want my editing suite to dictate to me.

anyway, a relatively simple work around would be to enable quick large selections of subtitles by, say, holding down the shift key in the subtitle window. With a bit of luck(!) that might be considered a fix even before PD 9? ;

thanks again

rob
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Robes,

PD is still a great product. It has its quirks, but if you read a lot of this forum, you will find many workarounds.

It so happens that subtitles is one area that PD8 is weak on with few workarounds.

You may not know that you can reposition any subtitle on the timeline by clicking and dragging right or left.
You can change the length of any subtitle by getting the double arrow and dragging. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

robes [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks Carl

Yup, i use those features all the time, thanks. And Yup PD is still a great product. I downloaded 5 others and it was the only one that made intuitive sense right from the start.