Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PiP Problem
Tony B [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 06, 2010 14:37 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

This is my first post now that I have bought PD8 rev 2508.

I am trying to add some PiP's to a title track. I put the pictures on 6 separate PiP tracks but none of them show when I play the clip? Also the PiP1 is grayed out in the list of PiP drop down menu?

Do I have to save it as a template?

I had it working before in the trial version?

Tony B

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2010 09:49

Tony B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Never mind, I think I have figured it out. I guess you must first save and render your title track and then run it as an MPeg and then add the PiP to it?

Atleast thats what seemed to work.

So you cannot add PiP to anything but a rendered video? Would that be correct?

Newbie stuff!!
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony;

When you were playing your clip were you in CLIP or MOVIE mode on the pre-view window? (buttons under the pre-view window) You need to be in MOVIE mode to see everything together.

PIP 1 is greyed out as it is always available

There is no need to render the main track before adding PIP

Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Tony B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Ed,

I have tried it in both clip & movie but it won't show it. The Title clip is a PDS file so I am still thinking I have to get it to an MPEG before I can add PIP's?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Tony -

Don't be embarrassed. We're all in various stages of newbieness.

I think you're maybe trying to do too much too soon... that is, if I understand what you're saying correctly.

.pds files are projects. They cannot be imported or inserted into any track. Video files (mpeg etc) & image files (jpeg etc) CAN be.

Can you please describe what's in your timeline? Better still, post a screen shot.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Tony B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I downloaded a title from Director Zone (Star_Scroll) and I can't add any PiP to it.

I was able to do this in the trial version but now I can't in the bought and paid for version??

I tried putting an MPEG file into the Title Track but PD8 won't allow me to do this?

I just want some pics to show up at the end of the title.

Help!!

Tony B
[Thumb - Screen_shot.JPG]
 Filename
Screen_shot.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
166 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Jan 24. 2010 15:45

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi again Tony -

The title you downloaded has a background built into it. The image you have in the PiP track is masked by it.

In PD, the tracks are layers. The main video track is "on the bottom" (so to speak.

PiP1 masks the main video track, PiP2 masks PiP1, PiP3 masks PiP2, PiP4 masks PiP3 etc etc... and the Title Track is always the top layer.

The image you have in the PiP track is there! You just can't see it. There are ways, with pre-production, that you could get the effect you want.

Hope that helps - Tony
Tony B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean about the layer in the title. I removed the background image and Voila! my picture is there.

How do you tell the picture to be on top of the background image?

I did this in the trial version!! What I mean is, there was no option for this, the picture just showed up when it was a PiP on the Title track.

Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2010 17:39

ynotfish
[Post New]
Quote: How do you tell the picture to be on top of the background image?

Hi again -

You can't actually tell the picture to be on top. I thought I was the only one who talked to the screen! Good idea - voice activated PD!

Seriously -
1. Put everything in the video, PiP & title tracks that you want (including the Star Wars style text scroll, with its background)... but NOT the image you want on top.
2. Produce it to a video file.
3. Insert the produced file into the timeline, place the image where you want in one of the PiP tracks... in this case, lined up with the scrolling perspective text. Position it on the screen so it doesn't interfere visually.
4. Produce again.

I'm not sure how THAT image would work on THAT background, but you could try it with a border or frame. Maybe even a fade in from 100% transparency to about 50% then back again.

Anyway - that's the only way I know how you could do that in PD... and the trial version is just the same.

Cheers - Tony
Tony B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Sorry for all the confusion. I have found my problem and everything is working fine.

Although the program is crashing once in awhile.

Cheers

Anthony B