Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector Trial -Crashes - Should I go on
[Post New]
I have a new Windows 7 laptop with the 64 bit O/S installed.
I have downloaded the trail version of PowerDirector 8.00.2220
I cannot apply any updates as they require the Full product and not the trial version.

PowerDirector consistently crashes it even just crashed looking at the about screen to get the version of PD.

When it has stayed stable it seems to be a good program and has the features /price that I am looking for.

My expectations are not high I know my system is not a power video monster but a humble cheap laptop, but all I want to do is some simple edits and create some simple home videos. I have old output captured from VHS and analogue CAM's in mpeg2 format, but only have a std definition HD CAM at the moment. So I thought this sort of requirement cutting out the bad bits and adding titles would be within the capability of my new laptop.

Therefore my dilemma is
If I pay and install the full version and the latest patches will the Crashes be at a low enough level to be useable. Given my current experience with the trial I would be crazy to continue but I thought some feedback on my spec’s and the Windows 7(64) from the forum might help.

------------------dsdiag--------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
System Model: VGN-NW26M
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/09/08 11:12:06 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3936MB RAM
Page File: 1942MB used, 5926MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Please look at the spec of other PD editors here:
Have you seen this, please add your spec?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page
Please add your camera spec here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8727.page
Thanks

What's the spec of your graphic's card?

The general spec of your PC is ok (only) but would need to be a lot better to edit high end HD.

What happens when you "play" with the sample files?

I'm curious to know what camera you have as the spec of some of the new video files is tweaked by manufacturers and that can cause editing/usage problems.

Guide applies:
You can not pinpoint the issue BUT you can give more detail of content and provide a visual image as well as a diagnostic of your set up. Please note that 3 (x100kb) images/files can be attached to your reply.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A - name it
PART B - provide it
PART F - use them
PART E - an alternative
PART D - presentation is important

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2010 08:39

[Post New]
Have posted PC & Video specifications as requested:

At the moment I have not used content from my CAM a JVC Everio GZ-MG77EK, but have been playing with MPEG2 files captured using a Haupagge WinTv PCI 250 card. These are from analogue tapes from my 2 previous CAM's Hi8 footage.

I will play with the sample files and create some contect direct from the CAM.

The crash with accessing the Help about is recreatable here are the steps.
1. Open PowerDirector
2 PD Button> Help >About Cyberlink PowerDirector
3 Move the focus off of PD ie go to Internet exporer.
4 on return to PD the has stopped responding.

I have attached the event information for this.

I have atteched other event information for the other hangs I have been getting whilst generally trying to edit or trim files.
Aaron Richards [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Jan 21, 2010 16:20 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I have a i7 laptop with Windows 7 64bit installed and I had alot of crashes with build 2220. The 2508 patch fixed all the crashes for me.

Aaron
[Post New]
Thanks Aaron, that sounds encouraging.
I can't apply the patch as I am on the trial version and the patches won't install.
I have decided to take the leap of faith and purchase the full copy in the hope that the stability will improve with the latest release patch. But I do resent the position I have been put in. Cyberlink need to review their Trial versions and keep them in line with current release versions or allow patches to trial versions.