Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Service connection errors
Houndog750 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2015 16:52 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I've had a registered version of PowerDVD 12 for a very long time now. Recently I have been running into errors with newer BDs. AACS will NOT update. I had considered it was time to upgrade but after installing V22 I get service connection errors.

Just to be clear all I used PowerDVD for was DVD and Blu Ray movies. All the fluff I turned off as much as possible. I don't stream. I don't use the Media Libarary. I don't use MovieLive, IMDB or anything else. I just use it to play disks.

I don't mind spending the $$$ but it has to work before I spend the $$$.

I can't get past this service error to evaluate V22.

Is there a command line option for the install to do a bare bones installation without all the "additional featerues?" A way around this "service connection" error? I realize "Feature Rich" is the new norm but all I want to do is watch the movies I've paid for, DVD and Blu Ray alike.

How do I get around this? Windows firewall is turned off so this can't be an issue.

I installed as admin so this can't be the issue either. Here is what I'm running into:

http://www.therathole.org/Capture.JPG

service error
[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
20 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2022 16:06

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
It seems there is no other users having the same connection problem currently. It indicates cyberlink's server is working fine.

Check your firewall or Internet security software's setting and check if it blocked powerdvd22's connection to access the Internet, and then check your hosts file in Windows. https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Hosts_file/Edit

Does it contain any cyberlink server addresses and redirected those addresses to invalid IP address: "127.0.0.1"?

If it is the case, remove those configuration in your hosts file.

Or you can contact cyberlink support to investigate the condition you currently encounter.
Houndog750 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It seems there is no other users having the same connection problem currently. It indicates cyberlink's server is working fine.

Check your firewall or Internet security software's setting and check if it blocked powerdvd22's connection to access the Internet, and then check your hosts file in Windows. https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Hosts_file/Edit

Does it contain any cyberlink server addresses and redirected those addresses to invalid IP address: "127.0.0.1"?

If it is the case, remove those configuration in your hosts file.

Or you can contact cyberlink support to investigate the condition you currently encounter.

Windows firewall is turned off. More hassle than worth. I can check the hosts file tomorrow. I'll set up a port sniffer on outgoing connections. Is there a certain port it uses?
Houndog750 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Windows firewall is turned off. More hassle than worth. I can check the hosts file tomorrow. I'll set up a port sniffer on outgoing connections. Is there a certain port it uses?

I've attached snips if this helps. The hosts file is empty and MS firewall turned off. I found a stray Cyberlink service that would fail immeditately after starting. I removed it thinking V22 needed to install it (PDVD12 did). It was not reinstalled during a fresh install of V22.

hosts.jpg

firewall.jpg

services.jpg

It did attempt to make connections to several remote hosts. But, it also attempted to connect to a service running locally which failed (timed out).

connections.jpg

local_service.jpg

I did get one error during install with the MS Edge logo. I'm sorry but I don't have Edge installed. It's a bit like contracting syphillis. It sounds like a good idea at the time but later on bites you where it hurts the most.

install_error.jpg

When launching PDVD22 it successfully connects to two remote hosts, 35.167.232.77 and 75.52.84.210. Once a mode (PC or TV) is chosen it establishies a successful connection to 35.83.160.96.

failed.jpg

It then attempts to connect to a local service on 127.0.0.1 (localhost). This is where it hangs and ultimately barfs.

local_service.jpg

I've tried to ping these remote hosts but I suspect ICMP is turned off as all requests time out.

I have my router's firewal configured to allow outgoing connection on all but a few ports, none of which are used by PDVD. It is however configured to refuse incoming connection on ports I have not specified. There should be no reason for a remote host to establish an incoming connection with any system on my network unless I have specifically allowed it.

Tell me what I should be looking for and I will get it done. I'd like to resolve this issue. Since I bought PDVD12 I have not used much else (well, VLC, MPC HC, MPC BE and ZoomPlayer). If we can figure this out I will likely upgrade, but, it has to work with my test Blu Rays first. One defaults to the audio commentary (useless) and the other fails AACS which I can't update in V12.

I've been in IT in some capacity or another since the implementation of CP/M so I'm not your average consumer. Tell me what I should look into and I will make it happen. I don't like losing and I'm not one to give up.

As this forum script package is limited with reference to the number attachments the referenced images can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eplFEj1Ol6uzlTGPSDkL67zN5IQd2kfK?usp=sharing

or here (I have allowed indexing there for convenience):

http://www.therathole.org/PowerDVD/

Thanks in advance.
Neal (Houndog750)
[Thumb - firewall_off.jpg]
 Filename
firewall_off.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - connections.jpg]
 Filename
connections.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
8 time(s)
[Thumb - failed..jpg]
 Filename
failed..jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
130 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]

I've attached snips if this helps. The hosts file is empty and MS firewall turned off. I found a stray Cyberlink service that would fail immeditately after starting. I removed it thinking V22 needed to install it (PDVD12 did). It was not reinstalled during a fresh install of V22.

hosts.jpg

firewall.jpg

services.jpg

It did attempt to make connections to several remote hosts. But, it also attempted to connect to a service running locally which failed (timed out).

connections.jpg

local_service.jpg

I did get one error during install with the MS Edge logo. I'm sorry but I don't have Edge installed. It's a bit like contracting syphillis. It sounds like a good idea at the time but later on bites you where it hurts the most.

install_error.jpg

When launching PDVD22 it successfully connects to two remote hosts, 35.167.232.77 and 75.52.84.210. Once a mode (PC or TV) is chosen it establishies a successful connection to 35.83.160.96.

failed.jpg

It then attempts to connect to a local service on 127.0.0.1 (localhost). This is where it hangs and ultimately barfs.

local_service.jpg

I've tried to ping these remote hosts but I suspect ICMP is turned off as all requests time out.

I have my router's firewal configured to allow outgoing connection on all but a few ports, none of which are used by PDVD. It is however configured to refuse incoming connection on ports I have not specified. There should be no reason for a remote host to establish an incoming connection with any system on my network unless I have specifically allowed it.

Tell me what I should be looking for and I will get it done. I'd like to resolve this issue. Since I bought PDVD12 I have not used much else (well, VLC, MPC HC, MPC BE and ZoomPlayer). If we can figure this out I will likely upgrade, but, it has to work with my test Blu Rays first. One defaults to the audio commentary (useless) and the other fails AACS which I can't update in V12.

I've been in IT in some capacity or another since the implementation of CP/M so I'm not your average consumer. Tell me what I should look into and I will make it happen. I don't like losing and I'm not one to give up.

As this forum script package is limited with reference to the number attachments the referenced images can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eplFEj1Ol6uzlTGPSDkL67zN5IQd2kfK?usp=sharing

or here (I have allowed indexing there for convenience):

http://www.therathole.org/PowerDVD/

Thanks in advance.
Neal (Houndog750)

It seems you might have walked too far away from what it really matters for playing movie discs.

Yep, you are not my average consumer, and it seems you have not been a customer for cyberlink for a long time as you were still using the powerdvd 12 version that might have been released 10 years ago.

I can see that you're still using windows 7,
Have you already updated your windows 7 with every bit of updates that microsoft has released to acquire the latest TLS 1.2 compatibility?
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97529.page

If all of these didn't help your case, I suggest you contact their support to sort out the problem directly.

BTW, powerdvd 22 also supports LAN sharing feature that it will host the local PC (127.0.0.1) as a media console server, and if you didn't use the feature, I consider that the sharing feature is under standby status and it also matches your finding. However, the error you received in powerdvd should not be relevant with that.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2022 06:30

Houndog750 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Looking at the images provided indicates a successful connection on port 443 for the IP addresses of 35.167.232.77, 75.52.84.210, 35.83.160.96 and more recently 52.42.62.12. All using TLS 1.2 on port 443 (HTTPS). TLS 1.2 is both enabled and up to date.

At one point I thought UAC was preventing PDVD22 from installing a local service which it is obviously looking for but UAC is completely disabled as I have no use for it. It is just Microsoft's damage control for the uninitiated.

Yes, I am still running Windows 7 and yes still running PDVD12. Unlike most I don't feel the need to fix something that is not broken (well, until now). Granted I haven't given you any money since at least 2014 (the time stamp on the Cyberlink folder in Program Files x86 but this was afer an HDD crash). Sometimes newer is not better. In my work I've had to support Windows 10 and now 11 enough to know I don't need it. Not until absolutely necessary.

Aside from the remote hosts PDVD22 is also attempting to connect to 127.0.0.1 which I suspect is your "network streaming service". I have other services running locally on 127.0.0.1 occupyiing both port 80 and 443. PDVD12 installed a network service but due to conflicts with Bitnami (web development platform) I had to disable it or jump through the hoops of changing the IP Apache uses. PDVD12 ran without it just fine. I guess this has changed.

I have uninstalled all antivirus and run the setup as admin. The initial installer extracts the actual setup in the Temp directory and launches setup from there but because it is run separately it is not run with admin priveleges. The actual setup is extracted to the %APPDATA%\Local\Temp\RarSFX0 folder and it creates a temp folder nscF96D.tmp there as well. I ran the setup from within this folder as admin and it did not install the service.

I appreciate all your help and suggestions. It would seem there is no solution. PDVD12 still works fine for DVDs but any more my movies are converted to MKV and I use Jellyfin as the media server. It doesn't have to phone home, is open source and occupies just 162K of ram. It is also accessible from anywhere (externally using port forwarding on the router) so I have the network streaming covered. That and my DVD disks remain pristine safely in their cases on the bookshelves. I have over 1200 DVDs so the investment is substantial. The only disks I use any more are the episodic TV series we've bought and they still work in PDVD12.

Again thank you very much for your suggestions! Although there may be no solution I like to think I've learned something from this. It may come in handy in the future. I've learned over the years any issue whether it is resolved or not is a learning experience.

Best of luck!