Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
keyframe copy
Dirk Jan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2022 18:52 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have set a rotion on a photo from -2 to +2. When I copy the keyframe attributes, chances are high that when I paste those keyframes to another photo that target photo looses aspect ratio and looks stupid. Why is PD not just only copying the rotation from -2 to +2? How can I easily make such an effect (like: rotation -2 to +2) and repeat it over many photo's by copy/paste?

Anyone?

Regards,
Dirk Jan
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Apperently, when the keyframes are saved for a copy, the Width and the Height are included and pasted along.
So the trick copying keyframes (applied for both images and video) only works without deformation when the width and height are the same.
There is as far as I could check, no way to exclude these measures from the copy/paste. So best make sure that the images (or series of images) are of the same measures. Alas.
Dirk Jan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2022 18:52 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Indeed, that is also my conclusion. And again I am surprised by that, as the only keyframes set are rotation -2 to +2, so why would it also copy dimensions? My only explaination is that the keyframes for rotation actually define the x,y coordinates of the corners of the pic, which would explain the misforming of images with other dimensions. Another -1 for PD imho.
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
No, I dont think the copying of keyframes work like that. It will not look at what has changed compared to original (that is what you want it to do), but it copies all parameters of the object, which includes, dimensions, opacity, place in frame, color etc. etc. THAT is how this copy/paste of keyframes has been implemented. (This isnot fully true btw because some settings do not copy, so I found out in the past).
If you want CL to add the function: copy keyframes of the changed, maybe send them a suggestion using the: rate & suggest option in the file menu....
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Indeed, that is also my conclusion. And again I am surprised by that, as the only keyframes set are rotation -2 to +2, so why would it also copy dimensions? My only explaination is that the keyframes for rotation actually define the x,y coordinates of the corners of the pic, which would explain the misforming of images with other dimensions. Another -1 for PD imho.

Hi,

Without knowing some more detail about the clips you wish to apply keyframes to, it's a little difficult to completely understand/analyse the issue. Some screenshots or a screencap would help explain.

But fundamentally, the Copy Keyframe Attributes function copies all the relevant keyframes currently applied to the clip in question - Position, Scale, Opacity Rotation etc. There is a no more granular selection.

Similarly, the Paste Keyframe Attributes will paste all the keyframes to a target clip.

So, although you only alter the rotational keyframes, all other keyframes do have default values and these will also be copied and pasted as well. Hence I can imagine unforseen consequences if those keyframes overwrite existing target clip attributes.

It seems you are, in this case, looking for a "Copy Rotation Keyframe only", which is not available, is that correct?

Some of these types of issues are also influenced by workflow and, certainly in my experience, often compromises along the way have to be made to get the results needed in a reasonably efficient manner.

The best way to get this type of "design" issue to the attention of CL is to use the File>Rate Us and Provide Suggestions route.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dirk Jan -

I've found the Copy/Paste Keyframe attributes feature to be one of the more useful in PDR, since it was introduced way back in (about) PDR12. To my knowledge, its function remains essentially the same.

As others have explained, when you copy/paste keyframes ALL attributes are copied and pasted. This works fine ONLY if the media (videos or photos) have the same aspect ratio.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!