Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Undo crop
Dirk Jan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 15, 2022 18:52 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
How do I undo a crop?
I have set a crop to a photo, from the tool above the tracks, placed right from the cut tool. Once cropped, I cannot undo it (once ctrl-z is no option anymore). How do I undo a crop?

The same for basicly all other additions, like a rotation or an (unwanted) resizing. Is there any means to go back to the original source WITHOUT searching for this particilar photo in 2000 source pics in 20 directories?

Thanks for the golden tip,

DIrk Jan
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not exactly sure what's going on on your end. If I use the Crop tool above the timeline, Ctrl-Z works as expected and there's also an Undo (and Redo) arrow within the tool as shown below:

If I cancel the tool, all changes are discarded and even if I hit OK to save the changes and exit the tool, Ctrl+Z or clicking on the main PD Undo arrow (along the top edge) also undoes the changes.
Dirk Jan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Yes, as long as you are initially setting it, I also see those ways of undoing. But what if you say

1. OK to the Crop,

2. close the tool, close the app, reopen it
    or do many other edits you do NOT want to undo

3. and then try to undo the crop. That is what I am looking for!

Thanks for tips!

Regards,
Dirk Jan
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Well that's a significant detail to leave out, and that's normal behavoir for any app. Just like when editing a Word document, you can't selectively undo a step you made 50 edits ago without also undoing all the changes you've made since then.

Instead, it sounds you're looking for a simple way to restore a clip to its original state. There are some tools and effects that you can do exactly that in PD, but unfortunately the Crop tool isn't one of those.

If you've previously placed that clip in the Media Room, it's very easy to drag a new copy onto the timeline and use that instead of the cropped clip. If you don't have an easy way of finding the original, go to the current project's Export folder and browse the "Croped Pictures" folder (yes, it's actually mispelled) to find a copy of the original with a (0) added to the end of the file name.

You can also find the location by right clicking on the clip on PD's timeline and choosing Properties. This is what you should see when looking at that folder with File Explorer:

Dirk Jan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Optodata,

Thanks for this explaination - that is very useful. So PD actually adjust a copy of the original file with the crop, that is pretty unexpected! It does not cut movies files in 2 when I cut them in the editor, does it? But it does explain the behaviour indeed. Minus 1 for Power Director imho.

Regards,
Dirk Jan
optodata
[Post New]
That's a fundamental misunderstanding of how PD works. It NEVER makes any changes to ANY of the original clips as that would be a disaster on so many levels.

Instead, it simply applies the edits made on the timeline in real-time while previewing the project, and it makes a brand new version with all the changes applied when you click on Produce.