Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Keep losing all edits to photos ... making this software unusable
Ed19712022 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 09, 2022 09:44 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Folks,

Title says it all: I open PD and find that it has destroyed every single edit involving a virtual photo (i.e. all edits that are not to do with Adjustment) in all of my albums. Photos are now the wrong way up, all of my edits using the Guided and Edit windows are gone, and it has even removed some of the folders that I have been using from the folder view, i.e. now only one folder is there whereas it should be showing one or two subfolders more. Hours and hours of work adding things and making edits. All the photos are now as they were at the Adjustment stage and no more.

This may or may not be linked to the upgrade to version 14, I dunno. I obviously don't go through my entire project every day checking that everything is there. I shouldn't have to, either.

I'm so tired of all the file handling bugs in this software and the unnecessary complexity of virtual photos (which seems to be the main problem, i.e. the cache handling for virtual photos is so buggy and slow that the slightest change causes problems).

Maybe it's my Windows version (10), maybe the fact I'm working on a virtual encrypted disk, I dunno.

It's a shame, since it has such huge potential, with so many useful functions and add-ons to help with editing but there is basically nothing in PD that you can rely on to be there like a month later. This isn't the first file handling bug, which is always, always, always to do with virtual photos, I've met but it is the most catastrophic.

The file handling and virtual photo approach used in PD is just broken, at least for me. I'm tired of wasting hours on unreliable software.

I might check back when the virtual photo approach is canned, but until then, I need something where I make a change and it stays changed.

Ed

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 04. 2022 07:23

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Title says it all: I open PD and find that it has destroyed every single edit involving a virtual photo (i.e. all edits that are not to do with Adjustment) in all of my albums.

Not much i can do about the myriad issues you've listed, but usually the main reason for losing the surrent set of edits after an upgrade is that the current project file ( ending in .PHD) was changed to a blank new one.

See if the steps in this discussion help. You may need to follow the link in my post.
Ed19712022 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Not much i can do about the myriad issues you've listed, but usually the main reason for losing the surrent set of edits after an upgrade is that the current project file ( ending in .PHD) was changed to a blank new one.

See if the steps in this discussion help. You may need to follow the link in my post.

Hi, many thanks for replying to my rant... :=)

I'll give it a go but don't expect to see any joy here, since I always back up my project file.

I brought in the version 13 project (.phd file) again today just to check and, sure enough, as it converts to 14, all the edits disappear. When you open the converted 13 project in 14, you can actually see PD updating the cached photos in real time, replacing all the virtual photos with edits with virtual photos with no edits.

It's bizarre.

I'll check out your thread and let you know if I manage to salve anything.

Ed
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
On my system, every time I tell PhD14 to open an older .PhD file it tells me it has to close and restart. It then does that and then reopens and converts the file after I confirm that I want it to do that. Unlike what you're seeing however, all my previous edits seem to be intact, although there are many photos that I've since deleted and I'm prompted by PhD to remove them from the library.

One suggestion is to open one of your older projects and don't let PhD14 convert it after it restarts. Does that have any impact on the resulting library?
Ed19712022 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote On my system, every time I tell PhD14 to open an older .PhD file it tells me it has to close and restart. It then does that and then reopens and converts the file after I confirm that I want it to do that. Unlike what you're seeing however, all my previous edits seem to be intact, although there are many photos that I've since deleted and I'm prompted by PhD to remove them from the library.

One suggestion is to open one of your older projects and don't let PhD14 convert it after it restarts. Does that have any impact on the resulting library?

Hi again. That's interesting because my PhD14 doesn't do this.

I double-click the old project, it then asks me if I want to convert it. If I say no, it says, well, then you can exit or open some other project. It won't open the old project if I don't let it convert it.

Thx,

Ed
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
It seems the new patch for photodirector 14 has fixed some file path related issues.
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?action=download

How about updating your photodirector via this patch and then re-load your old version project to check out?
Ed19712022 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It seems the new patch for photodirector 14 has fixed some file path related issues.
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?action=download

How about updating your photodirector via this patch and then re-load your old version project to check out?

Hi, many thanks for your continued help here!

However, I note that this patch states

"This patch is not for PhotoDirector 365 subscription version,..."

which I have.

Thx,

Ed
Forum Moderator [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2018 01:01 Messages: 578 Offline
[Post New]

Hi, many thanks for your continued help here!

However, I note that this patch states

"This patch is not for PhotoDirector 365 subscription version,..."

which I have.

Thx,

Ed

Hello,

What version of PhotoDirector 365 are you running? The same patch was made available for 365 subscribers on September 22. You should have 14.0.0922.

Cheers
PhotoDirector Moderator
Ed19712022 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hello,

What version of PhotoDirector 365 are you running? The same patch was made available for 365 subscribers on September 22. You should have 14.0.0922.

Cheers
PhotoDirector Moderator

Hi,

I do indeed have this patch installed. So I am up-to-date with PhD but, as said, this version (or patch level) has removed all of my edits to almost all virtual photos in my project. That means: none of these virtual photos have any edits and in fact do not even have any of the Adjustment edits applied. So not only are all the Guided/Edit edits gone (these are the edits that create virtual photos in PhD) but the virtual photo is now showing the image as imported into PhD as a RAW file. Bizarrely, many of these photos are also rotated 90° to the left.

Until I've worked out why this happened (whether my fault or the fault of PhD), I won't be using the software again.

One thing I have thought might be a problem is cache clear-up by something like CC Cleaner. That's the only thing that would perhaps explain why the virtual photos are missing all of their edits. Although: CC only runs on drive C and these photos are on a secure drive elsewhere. But maybe that explains it?

Thx,

Ed
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
I've noticed that you mentioend "I'm working on a virtual encrypted disk".
Are you running Windows on a virtual machine, on a server, or anything else?

If you installed photodirector on a device that does not use virtual encrypted disk, and then copy your old project folders and the source photo files, which you imported in the project, to the platform, does photodirector load and convert your old project fine in this way?

By the way, it seems the virtual copies you created in a project are stroed at your project folder (where the .phd file is located).
Ed19712022 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I've noticed that you mentioend "I'm working on a virtual encrypted disk".
Are you running Windows on a virtual machine, on a server, or anything else?

If you installed photodirector on a device that does not use virtual encrypted disk, and then copy your old project folders and the source photo files, which you imported in the project, to the platform, does photodirector load and convert your old project fine in this way?

By the way, it seems the virtual copies you created in a project are stroed at your project folder (where the .phd file is located).

Hi, no I'm just loading and saving to an encrypted disk, nothing special otherwise, normal version of Windows.

I copied the files out of the disk container and onto a normal Windows hard drive but this made no difference, unfortunately. Not even when I reloaded the old 13 project and let it convert the files again.

As you say, the virtual copies are not stored outside the PhD project directory, so it's a mystery why the edits are not being kept but thrown away.

Thx,

Ed