Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD with clips and images not working
RichInKy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 11, 2022 11:07 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I have a rather large DVD / iso image I'm trying to create and it's not working.

My son traveled the Camino de Santiago in July. It was a journey of over 600 miles for him. It started on July 1 and he returned home on August 13. Every day he walked and shot video and took pictures. I have 2 separate projects (so far) and the first one made 1 DVD 1 time. Since then I have tried numerous things to get the DVD / iso to create.

When I run the job it goes to 89-90% and fails with "unknown error" eC0030019, e80004005 or others. When it fails a file is always created, but it's like an mp4, with no menu. I have removed all chapters, manually created them, let the system create them, moved them, not moved them, renamed the chapter title, not renamed the chapter title and many other changes (ad nauseam) to no avail.
I'll make a change, run the program and it works. Hooray!
Run it again; failure.
Run it oh the first half; success.
Run it on the last half; failure.
Run it on the last quarter; success.
Combine the first half and last quarter; failure.

Not make any changes to a successful run, run the program again; failure.

To me, it's the part of the program that creates the menu that has the problem. If I have a small project with few chapters, it works. Anything larger is failure.

I have a ticket open with Cyberlink but they just keep asking me to create videos using only the 13 sample clips and images. That makes a video less than a minute long. I used the images over and over to create a longer video (1.5 hours) but support ignored that and asked for the simple video again. Support doesn't seem to understand that the problem is with long DVDs, not 30 second ones. They tell me there is no log file or a way to activate a log file (I'll bet there is but they won't share it.).

I've started over twice. That's not easy with hundreds of video clips and thousands of photos. Right now I'm ready to just start over in Adobe Premier Elements 2022, which I also own. It won't make as nice a DVD, but I'm hoping it makes a DVD at all.

Has anyone ever run into anything like this? Thoughts? Suggestions on what else to try?
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Scanning internet indicates that there may be an access problem to folders, or speed etc. There are some hints given, also in this forum. Might be a good idea to have a look at what is hinted.
Good shows and failures may have to do with circumstances during the creation, like using other programs in parallel, (that may have impact on the available memory, the speed of writing etc.
I understand that you have already tried to write an ISO-file first. That (indeed) excludes the possibility of DVD drive errors and DVD disk errors…
Did you already try to produce video files as an intermediate step, before making the DVD? These files can best be of the format close to DVD, e.g. MPEG2, in the selection list: DVD HW 720x576/50i (8Mbps) for PAL, or MPEG-2 720x576/24p (8Mbps) for NTSC.
These intermediate files can then be used as input for creating the DVD. The advantage of this approach is, that 1) there is one step less for PD to worry about, and 2) you can see from the size of the produced files, how full the DVD will be and whether it is close to the limit, which can be a factor too. You can also try another DVD creation program to create the end product, or you can even think about using a modern medium, like disk, USB-stick, etc.
RichInKy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Warry, thanks for your response. This laptop is a 2021 Lenovo with the Intel 11th gen I-7 processor. I have 16 GB or memory and 500gb hard drive. I've not had problems doing anything with this computer. When I run the PD20 process to create the iso image I have nothing else running, not even email. I've made everything available to the processing.

This laptop doesn't have a DVD drive. I create everything to an iso image file. The funny thing is, PD20 will always create a Blu-ray iso without any problems. It's only the iso for a DVD that is giving me a headache. If I can create a good DVD iso file, then I move it to another laptop that has a burner and burner software (2012 Nero 11 Platinum - old but very good). I've successfully burned 2 DVDs from the PD20 iso images without issues and they play fine on my very old Brite-View media player (which also plays the iso for Blu-ray; amazing).

I create only .iso files because I prefer to keep my DVDs as iso images and on a 3 or 4 TB external drive. The Brite-View has 2 USB input ports so with 2 4-TB drives I can easily carry around a lot of movies. I also don't need a bookcase. :

I have created the same projects, even larger versions (2.5 hours) as MP4 files. Again, no problems with creation or playback. It's only when I try to create the iso image for a DVD that I encounter the problem. A failed process actually creates a playable iso video. It just doesn't have a menu. It plays the First Play (intro) video and then jumps to the first chapter and continues playing, just like an MP4 file.

Creating an intermediate file, like an MP4, can be used as input to the process. The difficulty is trying to find the Title to add in a chapter indicator. Otherwise, you just have an MP4 file that plays from start to finish, no menu to jump to a selection. (This is a travel video of my son's Camino de Santiago trip; 600+ miles of walking through Spain, town to town.)

I also own Adobe Premiere Elements 2022, another video editing tool. I've begun creating the video from scratch (3rd try) with around 1500 photos and 150 videos. It's all very simple, very few tranisitions and then only fades on titles. It's a Title, videos, then photos until the next day/title. I really don't understand why PD20 has a problem with it and makes me suspect the software is the problem. Like I said, no problem creating an iso in Blu-ray. That works every time, but I don't have a Blu-ray burner or software and after this project is complete I won't have need for it again.

Again, thank you for your quick reply and possible solutions.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You may want to try something like what Warry suggested to reduce system resources. You did not specify whether the failure was in the authoring step or in the later image creation step..

Try this: In the Final Output Window, check Create a folder only.and leave all the other boxes unchecked. Set the folder directory. Start burning. If this is successful then you can use VLC to view and play the dvd folder like a regular disc. You can also burn the folder with any disc utility like ImgBurn or Power2Go for free.
RichInKy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, sorry if I wasn't clear. I have some problems and crashes with the authoring tool but that is not my main problem. I have a project that I've been working on for almost a couple of months. I have created it, using the same libraries of videos and photos, 3 different times, in an effort to find out what PD20 doesn't like. The videos are all HEVC (.mov), the photos are jpg

I am able to create mp4 files without issue, even as large as 2.5 hours. I can create iso image files for Blu-ray (25 gb) every time. However, when I attempt to create iso or ts_video folders for DVD (8.5 mb) the process will stop at 89% almost consistenly, about 98% of the time. Once in a while I will get a successful completion. I run the very same process again and it fails at 89%.

The video is large but not complex. There is a sample clip with an effect followed by a scrolling text title at the beginning. After that it's mostly photos with background music. Periodically there is a static title that names the next town on the journey (this is where I place the chapter markers), any videos for that day (usually very short, no more than a minute or two) followed by all the photos for that day's journey (see attachment). At the end is a static title 'end of part 1'.

Even when the iso create process fails, there is a playable iso image file that has no menu, much like a standard MP4 file.

So I have created the ts_folder, alone and with the .iso image file at the same time

Now I'm working on creating the video using Adobe Premiere Elements 2022. I'm curious if it will have a problem in the iso generation.
[Thumb - 9-23-2022 1-03-00 AM.jpg]
 Filename
9-23-2022 1-03-00 AM.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Image of timeline example
 Filesize
358 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
I understand your ordeal. From time-to-time, I have similar projects, with about 35 chapters. I edit each of those chapters separately in separate projects. Once I have these projects, I use the batch option to produce those projects both in DVD format and in Blu-ray format. It saves time to produce them all at the same time. Also, if there is something wrong, I only need to reproduce a small portion.
Note: I only find SETTING the batch option properly something that CL did not properly look at (either). It starts each time with USA NTSC, whereas I need PAL, it forgets about the previous settings all together. You can best add projects after you have set the first project to the right format, any projects added will adhere to the formats of the first, which is nice again for my purpose.
I also use a separate program to author the DVD and Blu-ray disks. Which also goes astray sometimes. Making disks does appear to be a trivial thing. But software link Nero and Premiere, Shampoo and Magix, to name a few seem to have less of a problem to my experience.
Using separate video files, makes it easier to get to a logical chapter setup, and there is usually the playlist option to play everything in one go.
Making a support ticket, as you did, is the best thing to do. Although don’t hold your breath. I see more and more users turning around looking for another video editor (or disk author) software. In this forum too, users have written over and over that Cyberlink needs to focus on flawless functioning first, before adding all sorts of features that both make the software slow and unhandy to use.
The balance between features and frustration goes more and more to the latter.
Let us know how it goes and if and when CL responds!
RichInKy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I built part 2 of my project and it goes to DVD iso image with no problems. I'll have another look at part 1, perhaps build that one all over again, simple, no effects. I'll also try to cancel it just before 89% to see where / what it's processing. Maybe that will give me a clue to where the problem is.
RichInKy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oddly enough, after rebuilding the DVD menu, I am now able to create the DVD iso files. I didn't change anything in Part 1 and I just built Part 2 today. I still have to build Part 3 but it will be smaller.

Whatever I did to the menu, everything seems to be working. I just changed the fonts, moved things around and got rid of one "item" on the home menu.