Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Discrepancy between menu in PD and created disc
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't used PD for at least 2 years and I've never found it's Create Disc interface very user-friendly and this latest issue has me stumped. I've been creating a test disc with one project which is produced to a .M2TS file at the same settings as the original source video. This is imported into the Create Disc module. In the Menu Designer I created a single button in the root menu with adjacent text. On the preview screen the button is aligned just to the left of the text but when I burn the Blu-Ray disc and play it in my stand-alone player it's displaced upwards and further left (see attached images).

After creating the menu I'm burning the project to an ISO file then burning a rewritable Blu-Ray disk using Imgburn.

I actually can't see any way to position the button and text separately. The interface is just so clunky and confusing. Has anyone any suggestions as to what's going on here?
[Thumb - PDMenu.jpg]
 Filename
PDMenu.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
[Thumb - BRplay.jpg]
 Filename
BRplay.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
173 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
The silence is deafening! 47 views but no replies. I guess this just confirms my opinion of the menu designer interface. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to have missed seeing this post last Monday. Have had to replace the boot drive on my pc so have been busy with it in my spare time.

This problem with the menu was extensively discussed in the past. A google search reveals the issue and solutions. Cyberlink menus have had these problems since PD12. No issues with PD9 until engineering made all menus 16:9. Workarounds are used for the solution.

You reported exactly the same issue in 2015 and never acknowledged any workaround work for you as the post from another user acknowledged the solution. That 5:4 monitor you use is the problem. Use any menu created by other users and don’t modify them and they will work and display properly in your 16:9 hdtv with a properly set BD player.

Here are the previous links where others acknowledge the workaround and solutions. These menus don’t work in a 4:3 tube type TV and will never be fixed by Cyberlink. Use the workarounds that work for others.

Links to previous posts and solutions: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43915.page and https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42874.page#221277 and https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42008.page .
Fenman
[Post New]
My apologies Tomasc, I had completely forgotten that I, and others, had raised this before. I can only try to excuse myself on the basis I don't edit many videos (and none at all for the last 3 years or so) and Anno Domini is not doing my memory any favours.

The reason I didn't update to confirm if any of the workarounds worked for me was that I'd found my own workable though sub-optimal solution. This was only an issue when I wanted to produce Blu-Ray discs as I didn't, and still don't, use PD for DVD authoring. I probably wouldn't have worked on any more Blu-Ray projects for many months, possibly up to a year.

Re-reading the links you posted made me aware of what a talented group of people inhabit the forum. I'm currently away from base but will check out the various workarounds as soon as I can. As a last resort I can always use the fudge that I used last time.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 09. 2022 11:21

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You have done well in answering questions in this forum for other users. The world went 16:9 years ago and Cyberlink isn’t going backward for compatibility. A 16:9 monitor on the pc is required to edit menus properly in PowerDirector after version 9. Creating a 16:9 BD is okay on your 5:4 monitor as long as you don’t modify the selected menu in the menu designer. Changing text on the menu is okay. The highlighting will be perfect on a 16:9 hdtv although it may look off in the 5:4 monitor. Go ahead and try that Blu-Ray.
Fenman
[Post New]
Well, I've given up trying to find a way to get this to display correctly and have reverted to my earlier fix which involves excluding the root menu and editing the scenes/chapters menu. It took me a long time to remember even how to do that after such a long time not editing. It has strengthened my opinion that the menu designer interface is exceedingly clunky and non-intuitive. I also can't see why the aspect ratio of the monitor should cause any problem with constructing a menu. The project aspect ratio is set to 16:9 and the menu designer should simply be able to letterbox the preview display.

Just for comparison the third-party DVD authoring program I use is a powerful yet simple and intuitive graphical editor. It offers a library of objects that can be placed on the screen. Also text can be placed as an object as can images and any object can be designated as a button and linked to a video, a chapter within a video or to another scenes page. The order in which the button objects are accessed by up/dowm and left/right keys can be freely selected by simply drawing lines between them. There are other powerful features, some of which I've not scratched the surface of.

What's more, this program was created by a single individual based, if I remember correctly, in Canada. It was a pity that he didn't go on to develop it to work with high definition video, his interest switched to image processing. I hadn't used it for at least as long as PD13 but picked it up again quite quickly and easily recently which confirms to me that the PD system is very poorly thought out. I think Cyberlink started out with the wrong design philosophy but that's just my opinion. Others will no doubt disagree.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 12. 2022 10:39

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system: