Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video grabber recomemdations?
Barry D [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2017 19:22 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Video grabbers for digitising VHS tapes etc seem to be temperamental things, working well one minute, then not the next. Most of them seem cheap and cheerful devices and probably very similar. Can anyone recommend (perhaps a more expensive one) is which is more reliable? Thanks.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 01. 2022 17:23

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Cheap Chinese junk will give you garbage.
For new manufacturers try Hauppage, Diamond VC500, and IO-DATA GV-USB2.
Absolutely avoid HD cards.
If you have Windows 7 available I have a legacy USB dongle, rock solid capture. PM me for price.
Let me ask...
What are you capturing?
Hardware, connections, software, settings, VCR? Camera? Everything.
Do you have any Time Base Correction?
S-video is preferred for all work flows.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 01. 2022 21:16

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Barry D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Cheap Chinese junk will give you garbage.
For new manufacturers try Hauppage, Diamond VC500, and IO-DATA GV-USB2.
Absolutely avoid HD cards.
If you have Windows 7 available I have a legacy USB dongle, rock solid capture. PM me for price.
Let me ask...
What are you capturing?
Hardware, connections, software, settings, VCR? Camera? Everything.
Do you have any Time Base Correction?
S-video is preferred for all work flows.

Hi, Barry, thanks for your reply. My S-VHS-C tapes were recorded on a Mitsubishi C50 S-VHS-C camcorder. Although it was S-VHS, the image sensor was not up to the standard of advances made at that time. Bought in 1990 it lasted 2 years when the capacitors leaked.

I have using a JVC HR-S8600 deck for transfering to digital, it has a Time Base Corrector button which I leave on, I'm using the compact cassettes in an adaptor.
I've been using an Aplic VHS to video convertor an under £20 device for a few years which uses Honestec software. Although there is an S-VHS socket on the scart, and the software is set up for S-Video I have found that unlike televisions, PCs do not support a Y/C signal and the result is a monochrome picture, so unfortunately I've used a composite signal on my videos.

The issue with my current Aplic/Honestech convertor is reliabilty. I have found myself having to uninstall/reinstall the drivers to get it working. At the moment I can't monitor the footage although it is actually recording. It would be great to have a system that was reliable. My YouTube videos are on BarryD Rock n Rail. All edited with Powerdirector, older ones using the convertor. I am using Windows 10.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 02. 2022 16:11

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Although there is an S-VHS socket on the scart, and the software is set up for S-Video I have found that unlike televisions, PCs do not support a Y/C signal and the result is a monochrome picture, so unfortunately I've used a composite signal on my videos.

Like most users I capture in PowerDirector using the S-Video connection. Maybe that hometech converter which is no longer made is defective or made for an earlier version of Windows. You can try different S-video cables to see if one may be better.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
A faulty s-video connection somewhere in your work-flow seems a likely culprit to lose your color.
You are robbing yourself of a better signal. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Barry D [Avatar]
[Post New]

Like most users I capture in PowerDirector using the S-Video connection. Maybe that hometech converter which is no longer made is defective or made for an earlier version of Windows. You can try different S-video cables to see if one may be better.

Thanks I will try that tomasc. Do you think that HDMI keeps the luninace and chrominance separate to keep the quality of S-VHS?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2022 20:21

Barry D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote A faulty s-video connection somewhere in your work-flow seems a likely culprit to lose your color.
You are robbing yourself of a better signal.

Thanks Barry, I will try a different lead and converter. Do you think the HDMI wiring keeps the chrominace and lumiance separate to maintain the advantage of S-Video?
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Barry, I will try a different lead and converter. Do you think the HDMI wiring keeps the chrominace and lumiance separate to maintain the advantage of S-Video?
HDMI automatically deinterlaces, I prefer software deinterlacing, the best being QTGMC, sadly unavailable in PD. I do not know how HDMI affects Chroma Luma. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)